Benjen the Drunken Messenger: The Reason for taking the Black

Fire Eater

I think Lyanna told Ned that Jon was TPTWP. We all know how Rheagar felt about prophesies and though he felt he was TPTWP, he realized later that he wasn't and his child with Lyanna would be. He shared this with Lyanna and in turn she shared it with Ned. When Ned finally it back to winterfell, he told Benjen and then it was decided he join the watch.

I also think Howland Reed(like Jojen) was sent to help the Starks and knew his purpose was to help Ned and save Jon. No one really likes it and it pisses me off..lol

If Benjen and Lyanna were close, i think Benjen would have an inkling in what took place involving her and could arrive to his own conclusions without Ned's help. Benjen sees Lyanna get flustered with Rhaegar's song and chortles about it. He gets wine on his head for his troubles. Its very possible Benjen and Lyanna actually talked about Rhaegar at one point. And then, time passes, she goes missing and everyone finds out Rhaegar took her? Ned comes back from the war with a baby after he had married Cat in Brandon's stead? Yeahh i think Benjen can connect those dots.

Right guys, I honestly never even thought of this theory. But thinking back to the HBO TV show, and the books I do recognise some past memory tormenting him as he shows it to Jon, and even to Tyrion at some points, things he learned in the Night's Watch, and his view on the Nobles of Westeros such as the Lannisters. Maybe something did happen during Lyanna's disappearance, maybe she was abducted, or maybe she left voluntarily to be with Rhaegar.

Maybe he was somewhat involved in the aftermath of her disappearance/choice of leaving for love, perhaps he was with her as just her brother or he was protecting her. He ran to tell Brandon, and in turn his brother stormed off to King's Landing to speak to the King and demand her returned. I guess it would make sense, feeling some guilt of how things transpired. That he without meaning to, caused the war and perhaps in some way the deaths of his father and brother.

I cannot say for definite this is what happened, but it does add credence to the fact that something is up with Benjen; it's obvious in the show in the way he speaks to Jon, and even to other people. He bears and carries painful memories and some guilt, I do not think there is any incest involved between him and Lyanna as being the cause of the guilt; it's not like it is between Cersei and Jaime. There would have been rumours, Ned would have shown some contempt of his own when discovering Robert's children were not his, and given some indication of incest involved with the Starks.

It would have come out when the other Houses spoke about secrets, hell if anyone knew it would have been the Tyrells, Olenna Redwyne would have known all about it and went blabbing about it, or it would have even been common knowledge. Even Tywin Lannister, couldn't stop rumours of what his son and daughter got up to together. So if the richest, most powerful man in the seven kingdoms, couldn't stop those rumours I highly doubt the Starks would have with less gold, and power.

Again, I like re-reading the parts of Benjen before he disappeared, and like to think about what is really haunting him. Good post, guys.

I think Lyanna told Ned that Jon was TPTWP. We all know how Rheagar felt about prophesies and though he felt he was TPTWP, he realized later that he wasn't and his child with Lyanna would be. He shared this with Lyanna and in turn she shared it with Ned. When Ned finally it back to winterfell, he told Benjen and then it was decided he join the watch.

I also think Howland Reed(like Jojen) was sent to help the Starks and knew his purpose was to help Ned and save Jon. No one really likes it and it pisses me off..lol

I doubt Lyanna knew for certain though.

I don't know whether Benjen knows about Jon's true parentage or not. I don't think Ned was willing to tell Benjen for the same reason he didn't tell Cat, to protect him. What Ned was doing was treason, and if he was found out, if anyone else were in on it, they would lose their heads along with his.

At the same time, I think Benjen may have known his brother well enough to know that he wasn't the kind of guy to father a bastard outside of marriage, especially given his shyness with women as demonstrated at Harrenhal.

I always thought Ned didn't tell Catelyn because they didn't know each other at all, and Ned could in no way predict how she would react to such news. For all he knew, Cat could have gone to Robert, or told Hoster or someone else, which would increase the chance of Robert finding out.

In fact, the fewer people knew about it, the safer the secret was. It might have taken Ned and Cat a while to get to know each other better, since I can see Cat be a bit bitter in the beginning of the marriage because of Jons presence. Perhaps by the time Ned trusted her enough, too many years had passed. If Cats attitude towards the child she had always hated suddenly, for no apparent reason, would change, people might get suspicious, especially.Cats own family. All sorts of dangers there.

Archived