Best King of the Baratheon Brothers?

dmo862000

So of Robert, Stannis and Renly who is/was/could have been the best King?

Robert was obviously too loose with money and partied too much. I think Renly may have had some of those tendencies though not nearly as bad. Stannis would be tough and I think his kingship would mostly depend on who was at his side (Melisandre, Davos, both?)

I think if all three had a shot it would probably be Renly. He was popular and could rally the people. Held a place on the small council (and didn't abandon it). He was egotistical which is a huge flaw but I dunno, he comes across as a decent leader.

Some times a weak king isn't the worst thing that could happen, especially if he has a good Small Council that can rule and enfrce the peace in his place. A Tyrell dominance would not have been disastrous. I say Renly. And as stated Renly was popular among the Smallfolks.

I'd like to think it was Renly but I'd be lying to myself. I really liked Renly.

The Tyrells would run circles around him and he would lose his storm-lander support in a fortnight. Also show Catelyn was right his knights were the knights of summer and he was the king of summer trying for the job in late autumn. Do you imagine Renly trying to protect Westeros from the Wildling threat? From the others? from the fiery wrath of Dragons? No me neither. Therefore Stannis because he was caring,capable and meritocratic which is a recipe for death hence the was.

In order of ability to rule

Stannis

Renly

Robert

In order of Ability to seize the Throne

Robert

Renly

Stannis

So Renly is the mediocre one of the family in my opinion.The Copper if you like. Nice but not particularly good at what a King needs to do. Not that it matters now...

Robert was the worst of them, yet he was the one who could be king at that time.

Renly would be best in Spring and early summer, when times are good. When no foreign threat emerges. When the people enjoy a light hearted, fair, and reasonable monarch.

Stannis for late summer and autumn. When times are about to be tough. Or when an existential foreign threat emerges. A king who will do what's right without concern for whether the people love him or not.

If only they could "lead as two kings! Yeah, we'll f$&@ing lead as two kings."

Depends on what you want and When.

In Times of War and immediately After Wars-Bob

In Peace-Renly

In Times of Internal Turmoil-Stannis Renly

I agree with this however, I think even in times of internal turmoil, perhaps especially during those times, Renly's diplomacy would be more effective than Stannis' hard lined practices.

Not to be a stickler but you don't get to pick Kings based on seasons/ what is going on in the realm. A king has to be suited for whatever is thrown his way. So judging a king's abilities is based on his suitability with dealing with peace, war, insurrection, winter and summer.

I agree with this however, I think even in times of internal turmoil, perhaps especially during those times, Renly's diplomacy would be more effective than Stannis' hard lined practices.

I think the my phrasing was wrong,What I meant was when the Royal Family wanted to retain the throne,Stannis is their best chance.

Ruling is a tricky thing, sometimes easy, sometimes hard. Some faults are worse in a ruler that others, and to me, irresponsability ranks pretty high in not-to-have for a ruler, so Stannis.

I don't know if Renly would been that bad at all. Sure, he basically held torneys in middle of war, but during peace time he would be pretty good king, if companied with good master of coin. However I fear his tourneys would quicky diminish crown's gold supplies. Robert didn't care about ruling and he knew it. Stannis would be pretty good ruler - not a loved, but one who could keep things running and guarantee peace.

King Robert gave too much power to the Lannisters. King Renly would have meant High Garden would have had too much power. Stannis would have denied power to most of the houses that pissed him off (in other words most of them). I think Stannis would be better for post war rebuilding and the other two were too open handed with other peoples gold to have rebuilt the Realm. Remember, Robert made the Realm's finances look a lot like, well, the U.S. gov't finances.

King Robert gave too much power to the Lannisters. King Renly would have meant High Garden would have had too much power. Stannis would have denied power to most of the houses that pissed him off (in other words most of them). I think Stannis would be better for post war rebuilding and the other two were too open handed with other peoples gold to have rebuilt the Realm. Remember, Robert made the Realm's finances look a lot like, well, the U.S. gov't finances.

What gives you the impression that Renly would be overly generous with the realm's coffers?

In times of War:Robert all the way. Just when he was needed most did he die. He was badass, but also merciful to any non- Targaryen.

In times of peace, Stannis: people are happy, and his justice won't make them too angry. He also will not make a lot of enemies.

Renly: if he is willing top produce an heir, then yes he could be a very good king. But a king needs an heir, or there will be war once he dies.

Archived