Video Games: Holiday Sale (AKA Empty Wallet) Edition

KiDisaster

Old thread is dead, here's the new thread. Couldn't think of anything less lame for a title than the one I chose so there you go.

Holiday sales are nearly upon us after all, GOG have already begun.

Picked up a few games from the GOG sale already. Hotline Miami, Outlast, Trine 1 + 2 and of course the Fallout games since they were free.

Outlast succeeded in damn near giving me a heart attack within the first 10 minutes and I decided that was quite enough of that for the night. Hotline Miami is a fucking trip :lol:. Only played the first few missions so far but I'm looking forward to the rest of it. Haven't touched Trine or Trine 2 yet but I played the demo of Trine 2 when it came out and enjoyed it so I'm sure the full games will be great.

I recently moved, and in the process I rediscovered my PS2 and hooked it back up to my TV. Most of my games are somewhere at my dad's house I think, but I had a few in the box under my bed where it had been. My copy of Final Fantasy Tactics seems to be scratched beyond repair (couple tricks I haven't tried yet though) which makes me very sad, but I've been replaying Romance of the Three Kingdoms X and Legend of Dragoon, and both are making me incredibly nostalgic.

The AI in the former is even worse than I remember, but I still just love the concept too much; and the later really is good. It probably goes in my top 5 list of JRPGs. And I don't think its the nostalgia glasses, I really am liking the game; which makes me think that I'd still like most of the PS1 era JRPGs if I replayed them. And yet I find most modern JRPGs a complete slog to get through; I don't know what changed, but something must've.

Had my first go on Assassin's Creed 4 today. And I was having fun until I hit the first real naval battle. Easily my least favourite part of AC3 so you can imagine my bewilderment when they announced they'd be making an entire game about it, and my surprise when apparently I'm the only person who doesn't love this stuff. I mean maybe everyone else has experienced other, even worse naval combat systems but to me it just seems so slow and clumsy. Which is a shame because the rest of the game, and the story (Which is what I really play AC4 for) is good and interesting. I guess I'll reserve judgment until I've played a bit more.

I haven't played any other AC game, but I love the naval combat - even though it is a little slow and clunky (anyway wouldn't it have been slower and clunkier IRL back then?) Also taking those forts feels so badass, especially when you jump off the ship and slice your way to the war room. Overall I thought it was a great game, and my only nitpick is the combat. While it is satisfying, it feels very disjointed at times. But I've gotten used to it, because I almost never use stealth unless absolutely necessary.

Also, agreed on Legend of Dragoon. That game was the shit. I got it for $5 off PSN the day it was available, and finished it in a few days. It definitely wasn't just nostalgia; that was a great game. Also it was a lot easier than I remember. I beat the final boss much faster than I did the first time I played.

Does anybody else have the urge to play certain games at christmas, the same way you'd watch a seasonal movie or read a favourite book?

I've discovered I have a hankering to play Rockstar's Bully (or Canem Candis Edit, to give it it's ridiculous British name) because there's that bit where your character gets his christmas jumper and plays around in the snow. Might have to unlimber the PS2 from it's box in the cellar.

I haven't played any other AC game, but I love the naval combat - even though it is a little slow and clunky (anyway wouldn't it have been slower and clunkier IRL back then?) Also taking those forts feels so badass, especially when you jump off the ship and slice your way to the war room. Overall I thought it was a great game, and my only nitpick is the combat. While it is satisfying, it feels very disjointed at times. But I've gotten used to it, because I almost never use stealth unless absolutely necessary.

After several more hours played i'm starting to get into it a bit more, and forts are indeed awesome. A bit more naval stealth would be cool though. Like being able to anchor your ship well out, and then slip past the enemy lines on a rowboat. More freedom in general would be great. I want to be able to use travel speed even when I am right next to cliffs, to try and board a man o war when it's at full health and to go swimming in a storm so I can beat up a shark. If I want to pull off crazy nautical maneuvers then why can't I? :p

Final Fantasy 7. I remember playing it aroubd christmas time years ago and the bits around the great glacier with the snowboarding village stuck in my mind.

Ahhh, Christmas '97. The part that sticks out to me is the train tracks leading to North Coral, because thats where i finally fell asleep that evening and woke up to it boxing day.

In hindsight, thats a lot for one day lol. Now im lucky if i get to the chocobo farm in one day.

Historical RPG with no fantasy elements in development.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance will be a historically-accurate game set in the Holy Roman Empire during 1403. It will be an open-world RPG completely lacking any kind of fantasy element whatsoever: no magic, dragons, elves or anything else. The focus will be on the storyline, character development and combat, involving sieges, open field battles and personal combat (on both foot and horseback).

Looks promising. The development team consists of veterans of the ARMA series and the two Mafia games. Not out until 2015 though. Many screenshots here.

I started Trine last night. Really liking it so far. I am dying a lot though, the amount of enemies that spawn at certain points gets a little ridiculous :lol:

Historical RPG with no fantasy elements in development.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance will be a historically-accurate game set in the Holy Roman Empire during 1403. It will be an open-world RPG completely lacking any kind of fantasy element whatsoever: no magic, dragons, elves or anything else. The focus will be on the storyline, character development and combat, involving sieges, open field battles and personal combat (on both foot and horseback).

Looks promising. The development team consists of veterans of the ARMA series and the two Mafia games. Not out until 2015 though. Many screenshots here.

Awesome. As a history nerd this sounds right up my alley.

So if you didn't know, GOG (www.gog.com) is having a winter sale where they have a different pack discount available every day. The deal is either the entire pack at 75% off or any of the elements included for 50% off.

You also get a discount for either a classic game, newer title or pure random title; that's randomised for everyone. Right now I could get Chronicles of Riddick assault on dark athena for 3$. 75.

At this moment they have the "4X strategy pack" consisting of Master of Orion 1 & 2, Cid Meier's Colonisation, Fragile Allegiance, Galactic Civilization 1 ultimate edition, and Space Empires 4 deluxe.

Total price is normally $43.96. Now it's going for $11.

by the looks of things, tomorrow will probably be either a sci-fi combat sim pack consisting of Descent 1-3, Terminal Velocity, Shattered Steel, Aquanox 1-2, or a military sim pack consisting of Apache Longbow, Apache vs Havoc, Comanche vs Hokum, B-17 Flying Fortress, Red Baron Pack, Strike Commander, Hind, Il-2 Sturmovik. Right now the sci-fi pack has twice the vote of the other pack though.

my point is, go check out gog's winter sale sometime. It's great.

Archived