Did Roy Dotrice ruin any POV's for you too when you listened to ASoIaF audio books?

I Know I Know HoHoHoooo

So, I'm no on third re-read or should I say "re-listen" of ASoIaF, and I definitely am biased towards certain characters in both my love and loathing as I'm sure everyone is...But...someone pointed out recently when I was discussing my boredom with Aeron Greyjoy, that it might possibly stem from that the fact that I did the audio books and Roy Dotrice's voice for him was HORRIFIC!

This then got me thinking that there were several characters and POV's that were similar, so I wanted to hear from people who did the audio books on who they liked, loved, and loathed based on Roy Dotrice's adaptation.

In all fairness, it does suck that there were such gaps of time between the first and the last novel, because by the time of ADWD, his voice is suuuuper old.

Probably the most annoying part was how he doesn't stay consistent with the voices...I actually liked his take on Little Finger in the first few novels, but by the end he does a completely new voice that throws me off!

I also hate when he does his voice for the annoying/snobby Lords/Knights...It's like this high pitch, up and down voice, that drives me nuts!

Anyways, I would love to hear what others thought too and what they liked and disliked.

It goes without saying, hopefully, that I wished I read them first, but being in sales and always on the road/being obsessed with the novels, audio was the easiest for me...

The inconsistency between books ruins it for me. I hate his voice for Davos, though. Yuck.

Yeah the voice he uses for Davos in the prologue is soooo weird, but then int he same book when he has a POV he changes it to the 1960's pirate? Weird that he didn't even stay the same for the same book. For some reason though he didn't ruin Davos' character for me like he did with Aeron Greyjoy and Brienne. I still love Brienne but her chapters were rough...

Dany's not to bad for the first 3 but its unbearable in Dance.

Missandei is the worst as its a horrible Fu Manchu/ Trade Federation oriental stereotype. I know he's 90 but some one a Random House really should have told him that's just not acceptable anymore. I always imagine him doing this while recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUtvRgkzvxA

Strong Belwas as well but GRRM is also responsible for that dialogue. Talk like Yoda he does. :bang:

Thankfully there are far more good ones than bad.
Ed Tollet, Euron, Illyrio, Tywin, Victarion, Qyburn LF, Varys, Pycell, Walder Frey, Amory Lorch, Roose, Melisandre, the Baratheons. So many great voices.

Yeah he does do a good Varys, and I definitely dug Dollorous Ed...GREAT call on Missandei being so horribly bad...And then what we see of her in HBO show is so vastly different.

I always just wanted him to do his normal voice for every character...he does this when he reads all of the Stark chapters...Minus Sansa who he tries to strongly do an annoying girl voice (which probably also contributes to why I hate her so much).

You have to love Patch Face's voice the best...My name for this Wiki was based entirely off of Roy Dotrice doing Patch Face's comments...

Missandei is the worst as its a horrible Fu Manchu/ Trade Federation oriental stereotype. I know he's 90 but some one a Random House really should have told him that's just not acceptable anymore. I always imagine him doing this while recording:

Strong Belwas as well but GRRM is also responsible for that dialogue. Talk like Yoda he does. :bang:

Ed Tollet, Euron, Illyrio, Tywin, Victarion, Qyburn LF, Varys, Pycell, Walder Frey, Amory Lorch, Roose, Melisandre, the Baratheons. So many great voices.

Well he has mentioned that his method for varying voices is to give them each different nationality accents.

His Varys is amazing and makes up for all of his other faults. His book three Melisandre is also perfect as well as book four Cersei. I think he enjoys playing Varys since it's the only voice he's consistent with across all five books.

True...That could have saved a lot of aggravation if he could have just stayed consistent with all his voices...Rickon was also a funny one to hear him to do :)

Missandei was undeniably horrible, it's like she's Vargo Hoat's secret daughter or something... :( In the later books he tends to make the female voices all sound like toothless crones, so in my opinion he might have done better if he had just stayed pretty neutral with them. But I love Dotrice's take on Dolorous Edd, and his Sandor-rasping isn't bad either. Of course then there are those absolutely hilarious moments with nameless characters like when Dotrice yells "Brotherfucker, brotherfucker, brotherfucker!!!"

Well he has mentioned that his method for varying voices is to give them each different nationality accents.

No I get that, and all though they are really strange choices that don't fit: the Martells - Scottish, Lannisters - Welsh and Baratheon - Yorkshire it works as it does make it more realistic when those characters are speaking to each other.

The problem with the Essos voices is that they really are OTT when it comes to Eastern sterotypes. George Lucas would be proud.

Sandor is another good one, it actually took me a while to get used to Rory McCann's posh thespian accent because Roy's is so good but I must say although doesn't get the credits that others do he's for me one of the best performers on the show.

Missandei is the worst as its a horrible Fu Manchu/ Trade Federation oriental stereotype. I know he's 90 but some one a Random House really should have told him that's just not acceptable anymore. I always imagine him doing this while recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUtvRgkzvxA

Yea, the Missandei voice was really, really bad. I blocked that one out of my mind.

I agree that Dotrice's Euron is awesome, I want show-Euron to sound exactly like that.

It's terrible when the POV voices are bad because then you have to listen to it be bad for 45 minutes. I stopped paying attention to what was happening to Brienne in AFFC because I couldn't stand that weird upper-range whine thing he was doing.

I really didn't like how Dotrice made Reek sound like a mouse and then altered his voice to sound like regular Theon. Felt like an odd choice to me.

I'll give Dotrice this, it's got to be ridiculously tough to do 200 different voices and try to put a different spin on each of them.

Archived