Did Roy Dotrice ruin any POV's for you too when you listened to ASoIaF audio books?

I Know I Know HoHoHoooo

He did a pretty good Hound. I thought that was a good adaptation to his personality. And Pycelle was pretty solid as well. I guess I just wish he did a normal voice to a lot of characters...like maybe all the POV characters could have a normal read and then all the minor characters could be done how he wanted (minus his Oriental one).

So is he even alive to do WOW? That's going to be kind of funny to see what they end up doing for that..

I haven't listened to the audiobooks, but dear god, that sounds horrible. As if he plotted and conspired a way to make Dany's Dance chapters even more unbearable.

I'm hoping if my vision ever goes, I never have to do audio books, LOL Granted, there are times when I hear such and such a famous actor is reading such and such a famous book on audio that I become interested in hearing them read it, but I have to admit it never dawned on me that some of these audio books would have people doing their versions of 'in character' voices. That sounds like it could be a really good or really bad thing, depending. With this series and the countless characters, that is some feat.

I think I'm glad I've never really given this audio book thing a try, or at least, do it myself so far. I totally understand the need for some to use them with busy schedules or as I suggested, vision problems (One of my late grandmothers always had vision issues, and had to use audio books as she aged, they brought her great comfort, luckily I don't take after that side of the family, vision wise). Here's hoping reading glasses will suffice for me. Fingers crossed.

I like some of Roy Dotrice's voice choices but, I have to concentrate of the actual dialogue for other (like his latest Dany voice that sounds like an old fishwife).

I think The King of Audiobook Narration is Stephen Frye. He did the UK version of the HP series. At times you almost believe it's a full cast dramatization.

I'll give Dotrice this, it's got to be ridiculously tough to do 200 different voices and try to put a different spin on each of them.

As much as I like the guy he does only have about 30 voices (which is still impressive!) and replicates them. I think Euron was Mopathis in GOT etc.

Don't know why they didn't have an actress do it with him for the females and some of the children.

Suppose its harder to record with two?

• 8 months later...

Yes, yes & YES!! He was awesome for some POV's in my opinion, such as Tyrion, Ser Jorah, Catelyn, Theon & Jaqen H'Ghar... But still, he ruined a lot of others. Anybody who was a little older in age like Barriston Selmy, Dotrice would make sound like they were over 100 years old. It was quite annoying. Maybe it didn't bother some people listening who did not know any better though

Oh. My. God. Davos's pirate voice. "Arr, his grrrrace won't like this...."

And Theon gets all Shatner-esque with weird pauses and what what. "I am. a prince, That was. unwise."

He does a weird nasal, high pitched thing for all the younger women in aDwD that DRIVES ME INSANE!

Omg Julia...... You just had me laughing so hard at the memory LOL. It kind of makes me feel bad since I really like *some* of his voices but I could not take his impressions of a few others. Most of his bad voices I don't mind, only when he does a ridiculous one for the likable characters of the series who you care about. Quite bothersome....

The inconsistency between books ruins it for me. I hate his voice for Davos, though. Yuck.

This irked me too. My eye-sight is failing and can't read the books so the audio versions are my only option so this is quite annoying.

I hope they find someone new for the next books. If they got this person to re-do all the previous ones I might even be tempted to get all the previous ones too. This is unlikely though I know...

The change of Petyr and Dany in the last two books was jarring.

By and large I love the Roy Doltrice audiobooks and listen to them pretty regulary. I think you guys are being too hard on him. It's a monumental task to voice the hundreds of speaking characters in these books.

Best:

Damphair. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to 'The Prophet" chapter by the beach.

Euron: Holy shit I love what he does here. Absolutely perfect.

Varys: Spot on. Perfect mix between affable w/ little giggles and deep menace.

Kindly man: Just as the name suggests.

Tyrion: Sounds a wee bit too much like a leprachaun, but he gets the character perfectly.

Tywin: All brusk authority. Great.

Arya: sounds like the fiesty tomboy she is

Jorah: Just as I imagined. an even better voice than ian glenn & that's saying something

Davos: arrrrr, Pirate Davos is awesome

*Shitmouth: bugger me w/ a bloody spear

Worst:

yea, when he made Missendai sound asian and Melisandra sound like a chain smoking arab it was not the best

Dany sounds like Merida from Brave only 1,000 times more annoying and w/ a stuffy nose.

Peter: sounds like a bar room brute, not a smooth talking pimp/politician

Victarion: Horrible choice. He's high pitched. Like a teen before puberty (unless it's some meta joke, like Vic is one of those guys who does roids and body builds b/c he's got a tiny dick&balls). Please change for TWOW!

Thankfully there are far more good ones than bad.

Ed Tollet, Euron, Illyrio, Tywin, Victarion, Qyburn LF, Varys, Pycell, Walder Frey, Amory Lorch, Roose, Melisandre, the Baratheons. So many great voices.

His "Dolorous Edd" was very good actually, made him one of my favourite characters....

No, actually he didn't. I liked his readings.

I particularly like Davos, Tyrion and Theon.

Quoting myself because I forgot several characters I loved him do.

- Tywin (how could I possibly forget about the Great Lion of the Rock?)

- Varys

- Dolorous Edd

- Hot Pie (just had a chapter and it made me smile)

- Jorah

I'm still waiting for "Walder Frey" - I'm just at the beginning of ASoS.

By and large I love the Roy Doltrice audiobooks and listen to them pretty regulary. I think you guys are being too hard on him. It's a monumental task to voice the hundreds of speaking characters in these books.

Best:

Damphair. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to 'The Prophet" chapter by the beach.

Euron: Holy shit I love what he does here. Absolutely perfect.

Varys: Spot on. Perfect mix between affable w/ little giggles and deep menace.

Kindly man: Just as the name suggests.

Tyrion: Sounds a wee bit too much like a leprachaun, but he gets the character perfectly.

Tywin: All brusk authority. Great.

Arya: sounds like the fiesty tomboy she is

Jorah: Just as I imagined. an even better voice than ian glenn & that's saying something

Davos: arrrrr, Pirate Davos is awesome

*Shitmouth: bugger me w/ a bloody spear

Worst:

yea, when he made Missendai sound asian and Melisandra sound like a chain smoking arab it was not the best

Dany sounds like Merida from Brave only 1,000 times more annoying and w/ a stuffy nose.

Peter: sounds like a bar room brute, not a smooth talking pimp/politician

Victarion: Horrible choice. He's high pitched. Like a teen before puberty (unless it's some meta joke, like Vic is one of those guys who does roids and body builds b/c he's got a tiny dick&balls). Please change for TWOW!

I forgot about Missendai.... it's bad.

And I don't like his Tywin. He has that same weird pause thing that Theon has.

And lets not get started about how he pronounces Petyr....

But yeah, I'm being hard on him, I get what a massive undertaking this is.

As much as I like the guy he does only have about 30 voices (which is still impressive!) and replicates them. I think Euron was Mopathis in GOT etc.

Don't know why they didn't have an actress do it with him for the females and some of the children.

Suppose its harder to record with two?

The Wheel of Time did this and it worked really well. A male and female reader split the male and female character readings. There were 14 books there so can't have been too difficult to do.

I would like them to do that for ASOIAF.

Also I agree about Stephen Fry doing Harry Potter, that reading was excellent.

Archived