The Sansa/Stannis List: Who else did you used to hate that you are beginning to love?

Fanless Mace

Jamie. No explanation is needed, I think.

Come again? I think you really need some sort of explanation as to why you like a murderer, a backstabber and an unscrupulous man like him.

Now, if you like him from a merely artistic point of view, that´s another matter, although you would still need to provide us with something.

Come again? I think you really need some sort of explanation as to why you like a murderer, a backstabber and an unscrupulous man like him.

Now, if you like him from a merely artistic point of view, that´s another matter, although you would still need to provide us with something.

Wenches and shit is usually the common answer ... :lol: but to be honest ,Jamie is a very relatable character ( not all are as honourable as Ned Stark , although we'd like to but are then slapped by reality to realise , that you can't always do the right thing , and when one bad decision leads to another , like feeling you're stuck in quick sand ) so ya I understand how he could be liked in his attempt to salvage what remains of his childhood dream ( it's kinda like mike vick getting out ,that athlete that had so much potential and talent and is a good person deep down but lost his way and gave in to drugs and the like ,then came out of prison in his thirties , realising that he's lost so much and his talent that was the reason behind the tolerance he received is now slipping away as his body ages (Jamie's hand loss) a redemption, so ya relatable)

Btw I hate jamie and make absolutely no excuses for him but I could see how people could like him

1. Jamie Lannister

2. The entire Dornish plot - when I first read AFfC, I didn't like the Dornish characters chapters but I think that was mainly because I was expecting to read the usual characters and was not happy to find myself following a bunch of new characters. On reread, I really enjoy that part of the story and look forward to more from Arianne.

3. Cersei Lannister - I wouldn't say I like Cersei since I still see her as one of the "bad guys," but I think her chapters are really interesting and love to read them.

Love me some Sandor Clegane! I was as scared of him as Sansa was in the first read, and thought him an unpredictable alcoholic. I've come to appreciate his honesty- and he is honest, if nothing else- and realize that he is probably not an alcoholic and if he is, it's his brother who is to blame. His transformation is more clear upon the second read. I think I understand why he left KL, and the fire wasn't half of it.

Stannis, but I was beginning to love him on the first read.

I still don't 'love' Sansa but I am at least hopeful that where she is going will show some true strength and a little more grit.

Wenches and shit is usually the common answer ... :lol: but to be honest ,Jamie is a very relatable character ( not all are as honourable as Ned Stark , although we'd like to but are then slapped by reality to realise , that you can't always do the right thing , and when one bad decision leads to another , like feeling you're stuck in quick sand ) so ya I understand how he could be liked in his attempt to salvage what remains of his childhood dream ( it's kinda like mike vick getting out ,that athlete that had so much potential and talent and is a good person deep down but lost his way and gave in to drugs and the like ,then came out of prison in his thirties , realising that he's lost so much and his talent that was the reason behind the tolerance he received is now slipping away as his body ages (Jamie's hand loss) a redemption, so ya relatable)

Btw I hate jamie and make absolutely no excuses for him but I could see how people could like him

Oh, so people think there is goodness within him. Well, I´m pretty sure there is. Hitler also had some goodness within him (no disrespect intended). Thankfully, there aren´t robotic killing machines without feelings amongst humanity. I know I´m exaggerating, but I think you get the point. Everyone wants to follow their dreams.

What sets Jaime apart is the fact that he doesn´t care if the dreams of others are crushed in the way. Like a certain innocent child, who just wanted to be a knight, and lost almost everything because of "poor, lost-his-way" Jaime.

Don´t get me wrong, I think he´s an interesting character, but why people keep rooting for him is beyond me.

Theon is more complex, book one he is a pretty cool guy. Book two he is a complete asshole and I just want him to die painfully. Book five he is the saddest most pitiful character in planetos.

In all of fiction I'd say, I've never seen any character being degraded to Theon's level.

This is what I love so much about his arc. He's possibly the character that has put me through the largest range of emotions. That's pretty cool.

Jaime for me, although "love" overstates how I feel about him. I remember being very impressed by GRRM's ability to make me feel sympathetic to the attempted child murderer the first time I read the books.

I have been genuinely surprised by the loyal (almost rabid) fanbase that Stannis has here on the forum and I'm interested to pay more attention to him on my next re-read. But for now I'm still pretty indifferent to him.

I loved Sansa from the beginning and I only like her more with time.

Stannis on the other hand...I never hated him but he is a joke imho and the more I read the more I think of him as a joke so....no hate there.

The character I couldn't stand was Jaime.When I started reading SoS and was his POV I wanted to stop reading cause I didn't want to see inside that child crippling,sister fucking psycho... but GRRM is very good at making you like the unlikable and little by little I started waiting for his chapters with anticipation and I started enjoying his inner monologues. I still can't say I like Jaime,there are things I can't close my eyes to but I can't wait to read more about him.

Another one was Margaery. When Tyrells were introduced I wasn't amused. It felt like all these new characters are taking away time I could spend reading about characters I care about and want to know more about. She however made Cercei chapters readable.

Reverse happened with Tyrion. He was my first GoT love and I couldn't get to his chapter fast enough. And then he went berserk in the end of SoS and he lost me. I can not say I hate him,I just don't think I'll ever say I love him ever again as a character. Kinslaying is a big no no in my book I just can't look past it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have reversed my opinion on only four characters which is not surprising since I am not fond of disliking female characters in ASOIAF. They have been dealt a bad hand at birth and that makes me feel weirdly protective of all of them, even someone like Cersei...

None of the male characters have grown much in my liking of them, but I think both Tywin and LF are much, much better players than I have previously given them credit for. I would not be unsurprised if LF wins the Game now. (I used to think he would get killed in TWOW. Now I believe he might turn out to be the Final Villain rather than the Others.)

On the other side of the coin I started to dislike Tyrion and just outright dislike Robb.

Sansa fits the criteria for me to be on this list.

Stannis, meh. I didn't like him in my first read through and I think the overwhelming support for him on these forums has made me like him even less. He's depressing to read about and I am looking forward to the time when he dies.

And also Rickard Karstark. I know he led a group that killed some squire-aged Lannisters, but Robb was letting Catelyn get away with too much. His treatment of her wasn't on par with the rest of his followers and Karstark got beheaded for calling him out.

Yeah I liked Sansa from the beginning as well, Started to come around to Stannis when he made Davos his hand

Characters I actually hated but turned out liking or at least enjoying

-Cersei

-The Hound

On the flip side I quite liked Tyion after te first two novels but then ehhh

Archived