NBA 2013-14 - A Clash of Kings

Jabronius Maximus

The C's are still in first, yet based on their record would literally be in last place in every other division in the league except the Central, where they would have been 2nd to last..

oopa, nevermind, hadn't seen the results from last night. The above was true before those games.

So bizarrely (or not so much if you think about it) the Raps are a lot better after the Gay trade.

Not bizarre at all - you had two ball stopping volume scorers in the same lineup (Gay and DeRozan) which is a recipe for disaster if one or both aren't hitting. Trading one of them frees up some of your other players to produce at a level closer to their potential. Same thing happened last year with the Griz (Conley and Gasol benefited in particular).

Jimmy Fallon just broke down several of the Knicks' plays, including:

'Throw the ball at the ref.'

'Hide the ball in your shirt and pretend you're pregnant.'

And finally, the 'Ask the opposing player if there's any openings on his team'.

Couple of things.

Re; Howard. I've really liked him at Houston. He just does great things and though there are a couple of great centers now, Dwight may still be the best of all of them. Definitely better here already than he was with LA, whatever the reasons were. He looks good.

Re; Raptors. They do look better after they traded Gay. On the other hand the Kings look not improved * at all* since he arrived. And apparently the Raptors tried to offload Gy to anyone who would take him, but no one wanted him except Sacramento.

Re: The East. Two giant teams in the East, that has its own charm. The rest of the conference may be entirely awful. I approve of the Bulls starting a rebuild btw, and tanking. But anyway, there is something between so close a matchup between giants teams like Indiania, who are simply even better this year, and Miami, who still have a phenomenal LeBron who's about to turn 29, along with good work from Wade & Bosh. I lik the Pacers bench more than I do Miami's though.

Who would you have if you put the starters next to each other?

Hibbert vs Bosh.

Hard to say, Hibbert is very good and very useful, will kill Bosh physically and on the boards.

But Bosh has his own style that he puts next to that and will score good numbers despite Hibbert's presence I think. Just a very different player, I will call this a draw.

David West vs whoever plays PF, maybe Haslem or Battier. A win for Indiana.

Paul George vs LeBron. A win for Miami.

Stephenson vs Wade. Another win for Miami here.

Hill vs Chalmers. A win for Indiana here.

On a final note, Minnesota. Kevin Love has to leave if he wants to win some things.

The word is out on Rubio as far as I'm concerned, he cannot shoot *at all* and just isn't as good as people hoped he would be.

He'll deliver plenty of assists but so do other point guards. And other teams have point guards that can score for themselves. If you see the difference between him and Lillard, it's a huge gap.

I see Love doing his very best every game and he is just so good. Definitely a top 5 player in the NBA right now IMO ( with LeBron, Durant, George and probably Chris Paul). Pekovic provides adequate support and looks strong, but he has limitations. Kevin Martin is't great, but adequate. Same for Brewer at small forward. This team just isn't good enough. To my mind, a player like Love should be fighting for the NBA championship every year, and not be reduced to fighting for scraps in his prime years.

This is a minor gripe of mine. Above. Paul George is a 2-guard, and I don't like that he's slid down to SF with Stephenson on the roster. With Granger at the 3 spot, Paul is a freakishly tall SG, but with Stephenson at the 2, George loses his size advantage.

Man. I just finished a great Christmas dinner and of all the games they are showing in the US tonight for Christmas, we get OKC vs Knicks.

As much as I love to watch OKC, this means I only get half game with the starters. Certainly, some very good stuff from Jackson and Lamb, but by the 3rd quarter, Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka took a seat and predictably never came back.

Which happened two or three week ago when they aired the Knicks at home against Boston, another game finished after 3 quarters.

And before that they showed Knicks at home against San Antonio, a game that was over at half-time. It is unbelievable how bad they are when you watch a full Knicks game.

On another note: I get a very small sampling of NCAA games over here. But I've seen Wiggins in 3 games now and not been impressed once.

He's invisible. Apparently it's all in the other games that he's really good. I have however seen and been very impressed with Julius Randle, he looks great and a very plausible no. 1 pick. Jabari Parker the same, more mature than Wiggins. Still, these are only snippets, and I've never seen Marcus Smart play for example, he's supposed to a truly top PG. But Randle has real presence on the court already.

Trade talk: Still no word on Asik. Houston is not getting any deals that they like.

Lakers are apparently in talks with Bulls on offloading a very disappointing Gasol ( along with others) to Bulls in return for Boozer and Deng. Could be interesting.

I've watched bits and pieces if three games today and my primary take away is that I don't like these uniforms.

Calibandar, my take on the college kids is about the same. Don't underestimate Smart, he's definitely legit.

Outstanding game between the Clippers and Blazers. Ridiculous shots are falling all over the place.

The Western playoffs will be awesome to watch. All of these teams play each other really well, so there are a handful of potentially great matchups.

And as I check the standings, the Phoenix Suns of all teams are sitting in 6th in the West. 17-10. 6th. What the...?

Eta: and Terry Stotts for coach of the year. Just give it to him now.

Man, I was pulling for the Warriors in this one, but Blake Griffin just got fucking jobbed. Some impressive agitator/dirty tricks bullshit from Bogut here.

Rod Thorn agrees with you - commented that Griffin should not have gotten the 2nd T.

So Harden goes 2-9, and scores 27. 22-25 from the line. Think I heard it was the most points scored while only hitting 2FG.

Just got a push notification on my phone that Westbrook had arthroscopic surgery on his knee today and is expected back after the All-Star Break.

Hate that for OKC. Two years ago they looked like a legit up and coming power to be contended with. They trade Harden and deal with Westbrook injuries and they are now just a shadow of their former potential. Championship windows are often narrow and I would hate to see them miss theirs.

Jesus, surgery again. Is this just going to go on?

He looked great recently, OKC were flying...

I can only hope that once he gets back he'll be fit and fresh by the time we head into the play offs.

Such disappointing news. But at end of the season it may not have made a negative difference, I guess.

This injury does make the All-Star selections a bit easier, though. The West is stacked with elite guards: Curry, Paul, Kobe, Lillard, Parker, Westbrook and Harden. If all were healthy, some truly deserving players would get left out. Attrition is a bitch.

OKC's offence in their first game without Russ was just really ugly, not only Reggie Jackson couldn't make a shot to save his life, but they weren't getting good looks at all. They still won thanks to Durant being superhuman, their defence being very good and the Bobcats being a bad offensive team, but it wasn't exactly encouraging stuff. The Bobcats have a very good defence for sure, but still this was really not a good sign for the Thunder's offence without Westbrook .

Reggie Jackson will shoot much better in most games for sure , the problem is he's really not much of a playmaker and Fisher can't run an offence at all, it's just painful to watch him try. They need to get someone else to be the back-up PG, someone who has a clue on how to run an NBA offence.

Nets are going to be sacrificed to the Pacers' glorious season.

Sorry... Point of clarification requested.

Do you mean "nets" as in cutting down nets prematurely? (Example: IU giving out championship rings and cutting down nets at home after a loss)

Or "Nets" as in the terrible franchise that currently resides in Brooklyn?

Archived