NBA 2013-14 - A Clash of Kings

Jabronius Maximus

Silence, you Kentucky Fried Worm! Brooklyn is providing entertainment tonight, but they will fall like all the rest. ;)

We never talk anymore, Mr. Rhom... :( It's just not the same, talking shit about Kentucky when they, well, suck. :P

Nice win for the Raps, with a monster effort from Lowry. They have a decent shot at hosting a playoff series, and possibly winning one if they keep it up. Of course this is just indicative of how bad the east is overall. But the opportunity to make some noise is definitely there.

The 3-6 and the 4-5 playoff matchups in the East will be interesting...to a point. But it's a foregone conclusion that Indiana or Miami will crush the winner in Round 2.

The 3-6 and the 4-5 playoff matchups in the East will be interesting...to a point. But it's a foregone conclusion that Indiana or Miami will crush the winner in Round 2.

I think Atlanta might have a shot of being competitive with one of those two teams. They'll still lose, but I think they're capable of making it an interesting series. The rest? Meh. My prediction before the season started was that one of Cleveland or Washington would win a playoff series this year. Since Cleveland are imploding (*sigh*), I'm pinning all my hopes on Washington to turn it up in the second half of the year. I think they're in with a good chance too if they can get in the 4-5 bracket.

ST

Yeah if the Raps aren't there, I could care less about the first two rounds in the East. It'd just be nice to see the Raps win something for once.

I think Atlanta might have a shot of being competitive with one of those two teams. They'll still lose, but I think they're capable of making it an interesting series. The rest? Meh. My prediction before the season started was that one of Cleveland or Washington would win a playoff series this year. Since Cleveland are imploding (*sigh*), I'm pinning all my hopes on Washington to turn it up in the second half of the year. I think they're in with a good chance too if they can get in the 4-5 bracket.

ST

Atlanta won't have a chance without Horford and he's done for the year sadly. I'm pretty confident you can book the Raptors into a round 2 series loss in 5.

Atlanta won't have a chance without Horford and he's done for the year sadly. I'm pretty confident you can book the Raptors into a round 2 series loss in 5.

Yeah, Atlanta isn't the same without Horford. I agree that the Raptors and the Wizards at the moment look like the most likely round 2 losers. It would be nice to see the Wiz win a playoff series, something they haven't done since beating the Bulls in '05. Outside the top two, the Eastern Conference is a complete clown show. The Bobcats are the #6 seed at the moment, and most of the time seem to be running the old UConn "give it to Kemba and hope" offense.

I will say that the Wizards are pretty watchable these days. Beal/Wall are a very nice combination, and they've got a lot of guys who can hit the 3, so when their passing is on, they're pretty exciting.

Sweet! The Atlantic has a team at .500!

Looks like Rondo may actually take a page from MLB and go to the D-League for some games to see if he can handle game speed, change of direction, etc before getting back on the floor.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUMPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!! Why cant they play like this every night???

Because they like crushing the aspirations of their fans. A buddy of mine has been a life long Knicks fan, got season tickets 4 years ago and is considering giving them up because of how things are going on Broadway.

Some ridiculous games last night! I don't really know why, but I was watching Magic-Cavs as the Magic somehow managed to give away a 10 point lead in the last 82 seconds of regulation and then lost in overtime. It was one of the most spectacular choke-jobs I've ever seen in one of the most depressing NBA games I've ever watched. The two teams played a round of overtime on top of four quarters of basketball and the final score was 87-81...yikes.

Also, it seems that Joe Johnson is on a hot streak in the clutch. That's the third one this year alone, IIRC. Remember a few years ago when people still held up 'clutchness' to be important? He would have been getting rave reviews back then. Shows how times have changed.

HealthyWarriors beat the Heat and suddenly they're back on everybody's radar as a danger team again. I still think the weaker bench of this year's iteration makes them less of a threat this year though. Of course, it doesn't really matter how much less of a threat they are if Curry goes supernova as he tends to do every once in a while...

ST

The Bobcats frustrate me. They always play really well and then lose by 3 points (except last night, they got annihilated by Portland).

Getting creamed by Portland is hardly something to be ashamed of this year though.

They have turned into a really fun team to watch.

When they started to get good in Roy's years a while back, Roy himself was a ton of fun to watch, but their team was much more of a plodding, deliberate half-court team with an emphasis on D. Now they push it much more (although they do still deliberately go to Aldridge in the half-court game often enough because duh).

Lillard continues to really impress in year 2. I think I've said this before, but he seems to me like a healthy, poor-man's Derrick Rose except only by just a little, but he's a much nastier outside shooter.

Portland actually reminds me of the 2008 New Orleans, which kinda came out of nowhere to finish second in the West. They were both led by a tandem of strong point guard play (Chris Paul and Lillard) and a physical power forward (David West and Aldridge). Both teams won a ton of regular season games but were plagued with questions of "can they really win in the playoffs?" In the case of New Orleans, the answer was no, as they were eliminated in the second round by the Spurs in seven.

Portland actually reminds me of the 2008 New Orleans, which kinda came out of nowhere to finish second in the West. They were both led by a tandem of strong point guard play (Chris Paul and Lillard) and a physical power forward (David West and Aldridge). Both teams won a ton of regular season games but were plagued with questions of "can they really win in the playoffs?" In the case of New Orleans, the answer was no, as they were eliminated in the second round by the Spurs in seven.

I remember that team. It was a lot of fun to watch. Too bad the wheels came off the franchise, because that team had a lot of potential if they could have just gotten one or two more pieces.

I remember that team. It was a lot of fun to watch. Too bad the wheels came off the franchise, because that team had a lot of potential if they could have just gotten one or two more pieces.

Yeah, I remember being really excited about Paul/West/Chandler, and IMO that trio could have contended for a title if they had good role players around them. But they couldn't get healthy the next couple of years, and they blew it up.

Archived