So who will end up on Iron Throne?

Stan the Man Baratheon

Jon doesn't count as expected since he is not pressing a claim for the IT, and he is supposedly Ned's bastard sworn to the NW. Unless you visit these forums, he is the last person one would expect to sit the IT.

Oh I think Jon would be a very onvious choice. After I read the AGOT I knew that Jon would be one of the heroes of the story and that was long before I ever visited this forum.

If we are going to think outside of the most likely candidates, then how about Gendry? He's certainly got the blood lineage even if he is a bastard. And he is traveling with the BwB. Now, just spitballing ideas here, but if the Blackfish were to join the BwB (which would be awesome beyond belief) then he could very well recognize the Baratheon characteristics in Gendry and pledge loyalty to him as the rightful heir.

Now that my crackpot theory is out of the way, I don't expect there to be an iron throne when all is said and done. However it happens is beyond me.

What I wonder is, will someone take the Iron Throne from the Lannisters for good ? Or will they keep it until the very end when this "unexpected" individual steps in ?

Supposedly the Throne will change hands several times. I think Joffrey dying was the first stage of that, but no the last.

Oh I think Jon would be a very onvious choice. After I read the AGOT I knew that Jon would be one of the heroes of the story and that was long before I ever visited this forum.

Obvious that he would be a hero not king. Besides, not all people who read the books know of R+L=J. There is nothing explicitly stated in the text to point to him becoming king, it is all little hints and foreshadowing.

Obviousn that he would be a hero not king. Besides, not all people who read the books know of R+L=J. There is nothing explicitly stated in the text to point to him becoming king, it is all little hints and foreshadowing.

this. This board is a minority of ASOIAF. I'd say most Of the readers are just casuals and have yet to realize R+L=J

Obviousn that he would be a hero not king. Besides, not all people who read the books know of R+L=J. There is nothing explicitly stated in the text to point to him becoming king, it is all little hints and foreshadowing.

If casually readers can discern that he's one of the heroes of the story they would not be surpriced at all to see him end up in the IT regardless of R+L=J. The hero always gets the prize, of course we more involved readers know it won't be that simple but the casual reader sees a hero and they imagine he gets everything. Simply Jon ending up as king would not be a surprice, it really wouldn't.

this. This board is a minority of ASOIAF. I'd say most Of the readers are just casuals and have yet to realize R+L=J

I highly doubt that. The Game of Thrones has two big mysteries right off the bat: Who is Jon's mother? What did Eddard promise Lyanna?

I picked up on the two being related during my very first read and only backed off from them when Eddard provided the name Wylla to Robert as the mother of his bastard.

Maybe I'm some super smart sleuth, but I suspect most readers are going to answer the secret of Jon's parentage with the secret of Eddard's promise to his sister.

Now, after the first book the evidence dries up very quickly, with Martin seeming to intentionally add misdirection.

Edit: So, long story short, Jon is the "lost heir" cliche. Only, Martin wrote the series to subvert major cliches. Normally, of course the hard working, noble outcast comes back to be the rightful and loved ruler of the land. That was the plot in Wreck-It-Ralph, for example. Heck, Tolkein flat out did the ranger being the secret ruler of a kingdom.

If casually readers can discern that he's one of the heroes of the story they would not be surpriced at all to see him end up in the IT regardless of R+L=J. The hero always gets the prize, of course we more involved readers know it won't be that simple but the casual reader sees a hero and they imagine he gets everything. Simply Jon ending up as king would not be a surprice, it really wouldn't.

The hero doesn't always become king, especially in ASOIAF where we have multiple heroes, and GRRM is not afraid to kill off any of them. Besides, again, Jon is supposedly a bastard sworn to the NW, whose birth and vows prevent him from reaching for the IT, and Jon isn't interested in the throne anyway. I think a casual reader not visiting this forum would be more likely to think Dany gets the IT rather than Jon.

The hero doesn't always become king, especially in ASOIAF where we have multiple heroes, and GRRM is not afraid to kill off any of them. Besides, again, Jon is supposedly a bastard sworn to the NW, whose birth and vows prevent him from reaching for the IT, and Jon isn't interested in the throne anyway. I think a casual reader not visiting this forum would be more likely to think Dany gets the IT rather than Jon.

GRRM is afraid to kill Tyrion off.

Also Arya and Dany and Jon.

I don't think GRRM said that. It's an old forum rumor and whenever a source was asked for no one could give one.

Besides, GRRM said in an interview after ADWD that he wanted readers to see people ruling and how difficult it was because he believed Aragorn wasn't seen ruling.

Archived