So who will end up on Iron Throne?

Stan the Man Baratheon

If you do a count of possible claimants mentioned in the story, the list isn't really that long. Stannis, Shireen, Tommen, Myrcella, Dany, Aegon, Jon, Edric, Gendry, Mya, that's only 10 claimants. Anyone outside of this wouldn't really have a claim (unless they took it all by force, but that seems unlikely). More than half of these claimants are very much expected to die (Myrcella, Tommen, Stannis, Shireen, Aegon), which doesn't leave much else. But I'm still hoping on Shireen though, she does count as unexpected right?

I hope the OP is right and GRRM did say that, but I wish I could see the exact quote.

I think both Jon and Stannis would be unexpected. Jon because although all the hardcore fans who visit internet boards know about R+L=J, most of the casual readers and the unsullied don't know that. Stannis because he is the underdog, he was defeated in Blackwater and now he has the smallest army between the claimants to the Throne.

Now, who would I like to see on the Iron Throne at the end of the series? That would be Shireen. Just so Davos will be her regent. I don't like Stannis, but I love Davos. And GRRM did tell a secret to Liam Cunningham, and the only thing we know about this secret is that it has to do with Davos occupying in a position of power...

Anyway, I'll be satisfied if Daenerys loses.

If casually readers can discern that he's one of the heroes of the story they would not be surpriced at all to see him end up in the IT regardless of R+L=J. The hero always gets the prize, of course we more involved readers know it won't be that simple but the casual reader sees a hero and they imagine he gets everything. Simply Jon ending up as king would not be a surprice, it really wouldn't.

Yeah pretty much this. The idea that the "hero" of the story who may possibly save mankind by defeating the others would be an "unexcpected" king is quite frankly silly.

I don't believe the quote is real. Some vague reference to "well, lots of people have said that he said it" doesn't mean anything to me. Lots of people have said Jaime and Cersei are secret Targs, I don't believe that either. Nor do I believe in Jojen paste or Targ/Dragon sex. Unless you can provide a link to the actual quote, this notion is random speculation.

That aside, I'm in the camp of there will be no IT at the end of it all.

Yeah pretty much this. The idea that the "hero" of the story who may possibly save mankind by defeating the others would be an "unexcpected" king is quite frankly silly.

I think you're taking GRRM's words (if those are really his words) too literally. If he said it would be someone unexpected, it doesn't really mean that it necessarily will be someone that no one ever could have seen it coming. Maybe he said it informally, not giving too much thought to his words. Normal language can be imprecise, although people frequently forget this simple fact -- specially religious fundamentalists. Hence Jon could be unexpcted to some people and not at all to others, and still GRRM could be referring to him there's no big deal in it.

I think you're taking GRRM's words (if those are really his words) too literally. If he said it would be someone unexpected, it doesn't really mean that it necessarily will be someone that no one ever could have seen it coming. Maybe he said it informally, not giving too much thought to his words. Normal language can be imprecise, although people frequently forget this simple fact -- specially religious fundamentalists. Hence Jon could be unexpcted to some people and not at all to others, and still GRRM could be referring to him there's no big deal in it.

Well that'd the thing isn't it. Jon's whole arc is very predictable (at this point). Bastard hero, finds out he's a prince from two ancient bloodlines, saves the world, and becomes king. How is that not the essence of what would be expected of the story from a casual reader. In fact for those types of reader if Jon did not end up as king that would be unexpected.

If you do a count of possible claimants mentioned in the story, the list isn't really that long. Stannis, Shireen, Tommen, Myrcella, Dany, Aegon, Jon, Edric, Gendry, Mya, that's only 10 claimants. Anyone outside of this wouldn't really have a claim (unless they took it all by force, but that seems unlikely). More than half of these claimants are very much expected to die (Myrcella, Tommen, Stannis, Shireen, Aegon), which doesn't leave much else. But I'm still hoping on Shireen though, she does count as unexpected right?

And Patchface is her Hand, right?

That would be very unexpected and interesting at the same time.

Baelish has been my favorite character ever since my first read through of the books and I grow to like him more each time. GRRM has proven that he isn't your standard cookie cutter author where the hero escapes dire situations and wins in the end. Baelish's underhanded techniques would belong to exactly the kind of person GRRM would reward, in my opinion. I'm rooting for it to happen.

Archived