Queen Rhaenyra? (tPatQ spoilers)

LordStoneheart

For the wiki, I feel that Rhaenyra should now be listed as a holder of the Iron Throne and not just a claimant. Before the P&tQ was released I don't think it was ever known that Rhaenyra held the throne, however brief a time period. Aegon II declared that she was never a queen but surely we should see this as a technicality.

I vote for making Rhaenyra an official Queen and holder of the throne rather than claimant. Any disagreements?

It was because of Aegon II that she wasn't called Queen and I find that not sufficient enough of a reason to say she wasn't a queen or a holder of the Iron Throne. Wikipedia lists LJG was Queen but with the parentheses (disputed). I mean, Robert didn't say Aerys wasn't a king after he took over.

I disagree as well. Martin did not list her as a monarch for a reason. When the history was told, she was not considered to be a Queen. In medieval history, there are a few claimants who managed to sit the throne for some time but never were recorded by history as actual monarchs. Sure, this is almost always due to political necessity from the next ass on the throne, but it is still the official story. There are also plenty of examples of monarchs who were overthrown and still acknowledged as official monarchs. If the histories of Westeros do not acknowledge her as a Queen, neither should the wiki. If Martin decides that she should be recognized as a Queen, she should be.

I think that the wiki should reflect the in-universe reality of Rhaenyra not being known as Queen. The wiki is a source of information and people will go there searching for Princess Rhaenyra, claimant to the Iron Throne, not Queen Rhaenyra. Contradicting the books will only confuse people. In my AGoT appendix, she is not listed as a holder of the Iron Throne and the wiki should reflect that.

I think that the wiki should reflect the in-universe reality of Rhaenyra not being known as Queen. The wiki is a source of information and people will go there searching for Princess Rhaenyra, claimant to the Iron Throne, not Queen Rhaenyra. Contradicting the books will only confuse people. In my AGoT appendix, she is not listed as a holder of the Iron Throne and the wiki should reflect that.

I understand a bit better now, but some things on the wiki aren't strictly in-universe. How about something halfway? Like "while she did in fact hold the Iron Throne for a brief time period, she is not officially known as a Queen because of Aegon II's decree."

I understand a bit better now, but some things on the wiki aren't strictly in-universe. How about something halfway? Like "while she did in fact hold the Iron Throne for a brief time period, she is not officially known as a Queen because of Aegon II's decree."

Yes by all means mention her brief reign on her page, but I don't think she belongs on any list of rulers anywhere.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It was because of Aegon II that she wasn't called Queen and I find that not sufficient enough of a reason to say she wasn't a queen or a holder of the Iron Throne. Wikipedia lists LJG was Queen but with the parentheses (disputed). I mean, Robert didn't say Aerys wasn't a king after he took over.

It highlights that Aegon III was II's heir and succeed by his law. If Aegon won order the title of his mother, she would be remembered as such.

• 5 months later...

I agree, that the wiki should reflect the in-universe perspective that she was not a Queen, however, I have often wondered why she is not seen that way in that universe. I mean, who became the next monarch after her and Aegon II died? Her son. It kind of seems like the blacks won the war to me....so doesn't history usually reflect the winners perspectives?

I agree that she should have been named a queen. Not on the wiki but in asoiaf history. Just because one king says one thing doesn't mean it's set forever. Aegon wasn't a good king he caused an unnecessary war because he was power hungry, his claim was weaker than rhaenyra's IMO. She sat the iron throne, ruled for long enough therefore she was queen. Same as Robert and Joffrey and Tommen, even though they're not targs

Rhaenyra not being listed as queen regnant in ASOIAF histories makes no sense, now that we know how the Dance ended. I think it's a relic of the time when GRRM first came up with the idea of Dance, but did not develop it yet.

In the AGOT appendix, even in the newer editions, Rhaenyra is only a year older than Aegon (which means she's probably his full sibling) - obviously, GRRM didn't come up with the story details until very late. His early idea may have been that the Dance ended in a similar way to Anarchy, with Aegon II winning but then naming Rhaenyra's son as his heir before his death (Aegon II is even said to have died of his wounds in one of the season 4 DVD History and Lore videos - that may have been an earlier idea, possible even after the publication of tPatQ). In which case, it would make some sense that Rhaenyra is not listed as queen in histories.

But, with the revelations from TWOAIF - that the Blacks were in fact winning the war after Rhaenyra's death, and that Aegon II was poisoned by his own men, who made Aegon III the king - which essentially means that Aegon III did not succeed Aegon II but gained the throne because the Blacks won, Rhaenyra not being listed as queen doesn't make sense. Unless it's Maesters' doing, and Aegon III never cared what they wrote in their histories.

• 4 weeks later...

I think in Rhaenyra's case we should not consider her mere pretender. She was the chosen heir of her father, Viserys I, and she sat the Iron Throne for half a year.

Gyldayn does not seem to care about Aegon's decree in his history, as he usually refers to Rhaenyra as 'Queen Rhaenyra' not as 'Princess Rhaenyra' following her coronation on Dragonstone.

I think in Rhaenyra's case we should not consider her mere pretender. She was the chosen heir of her father, Viserys I, and she sat the Iron Throne for half a year.

Gyldayn does not seem to care about Aegon's decree in his history, as he usually refers to Rhaenyra as 'Queen Rhaenyra' not as 'Princess Rhaenyra' following her coronation on Dragonstone.

Yandel also refers to her as Queen Rhaenyra several times in TWOIAF.

Archived