Am I the only won who hopes jon...

ToTheWolves

Possible spoilers

Probably has been posted before but!

Jon snow is one of my favorite characters, I'm rooting for him & I'm aware of the R+L=j theory

And his last chapter in DWD, but I kind of don't want him to become king or can't see him wanting to be king unless he sees Robb's will as some sort of homage or respect for Robb or something what do you think or feel?

We all know Jon has a very important role to play with the long winter around the bend. Barring any un-jon speculation or his death, I would like to see Jon renounce any claim R+L=J gives him and stay true to his vows and honor and be the sword in the night that battles back the others. A lot of people on this forum, especially a lot of those with thousands of posts would like to see Jon break his vows and become a targ king with a hot, romantic love interest. With maybe a steamy love scene with Dany on a flying dragon's back. It would do his character an injustice in my opinion. He would cease to be one of my favorite characters if that happens and I would wish for his demise.

As far as I can tell Jon cares for only two things - his NW vows and his Stark siblings. Even if he were convinced he had a claim to the IT I see him backing another candidate as soon as he can..

Of course I strongly believe that Rickon + Shireen is endgame for the IT. not Jon + Dany who I believe will both end up dead.

You won something!!!! What is it? What is it??...Had to get that out of my system.

Now to answer your question,No.You aren't the only one.I'm one of them.I actually don't think he wants to be King and even if he does become King he won't make a good one.But there are many who think it's even a certainty that he will be King.

Edit...
Read the OP wrong...Sorry.

I don't like L+R=J but I can't deny the truth. Anyhow, I can see Jon taking the throne not because of his parentage or Robb's will, but because the Realm needs him when he doesn't want the Throne.

I believe that this is the *bitter* in Jon's story.

I agree it's likely, but it's not 'truth' til it's confirmed. That being said, you're probably right about Jon's attitude. He would take the throne if he thought it was for the good of the realm, which is something he's always sought. Just like Ned, Jon's father spiritually at least.

I do agree with the OP in my preference, that Jon not become king, but Lord of Winterfell or maybe King in the North. In the meantime, he has a great role to play in the upcoming books and I look forward to reading them. The sooner the better.

I agree it's likely, but it's not 'truth' til it's confirmed. That being said, you're probably right about Jon's attitude. He would take the throne if he thought it was for the good of the realm, which is something he's always sought. Just like Ned, Jon's father spiritually at least.

I do agree with the OP in my preference, that Jon not become king, but Lord of Winterfell or maybe King in the North. In the meantime, he has a great role to play in the upcoming books and I look forward to reading them. The sooner the better.

Agree.

But just for the record, I don't want Jon as the King on the Iron Throne but as the King in the North, the Vale, Riverlands, Iron Isles and Beyond the Wall.

I think it's important to point out that as long as Jon is alive, he is a direct threat to anyone who sits at the Iron Throne.

Jon is most certainly a trueborn son of Rhaegar. Thanks to Rob's will, also a heir to King In The North. Finally he will be a military hero who saved the realm from the Others.

Take all those factors together, Jon and the Iron Throne can not co-exist. It doesn't really matter even if Jon renounces any claim to Iron throne or Winterfell, existence of Jon threatens the legitimacy and the power of Iron Throne.

Since I expect Dany to be on the Iron Throne, the only option she has is either marry Jon and rule together OR declare war against Jon and eliminate him. I don't expect Dany or Jon to agree on marriage, so only option is for Dany to declare war against Jon.

In the end Jon will defeat Dany, which will leave Iron Throne vacant. Could Jon simply walk away and let someone else take the throne? Answer is NO!! If Jon doesn't take the Iron Throne, it will mean more continuation of civil war between different Houses. And it still brings up co-existing with Jon.

Fact is only person who could end the bloody civil war and unite all different factions together is Jon, trueborn son of Rhaegar & Lyanna, a legal heir to Winterfell to Iron Throne and military leader who defeated the Others and Dany and here Dragons.

He joined the Nightwatch to save the realm from the Others, now he will have to accept the Iron Throne to save the realm from itself.

I think it's important to point out that as long as Jon is alive, he is a direct threat to anyone who sits at the Iron Throne.

Jon is most certainly a trueborn son of Rhaegar. Thanks to Rob's will, also a heir to King In The North. Finally he will be a military hero who saved the realm from the Others.

Take all those factors together, Jon and the Iron Throne can not co-exist. It doesn't really matter even if Jon renounces any claim to Iron throne or Winterfell, existence of Jon threatens the legitimacy and the power of Iron Throne.

Since I expect Dany to be on the Iron Throne, the only option she has is either marry Jon and rule together OR declare war against Jon and eliminate him. I don't expect Dany or Jon to agree on marriage, so only option is for Dany to declare war against Jon.

In the end Jon will defeat Dany, which will leave Iron Throne vacant. Could Jon simply walk away and let someone else take the throne? Answer is NO!! If Jon doesn't take the Iron Throne, it will mean more continuation of civil war between different Houses. And it still brings up co-existing with Jon.

Fact is only person who could end the bloody civil war and unite all different factions together is Jon, trueborn son of Rhaegar & Lyanna, a legal heir to Winterfell to Iron Throne and military leader who defeated the Others and Dany and here Dragons.

He joined the Nightwatch to save the realm from the Others, now he will have to accept the Iron Throne to save the realm from itself.

this sums it up perfectly

This would quite possibly be the worst ending to these books. I hope GRRM doesnn't go down this lame path,

I do not want to see Jon become king. I want him to lead Westeros to victory over the Others as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, not as king. Melisandre says at one point that all of Westeros must unite behind the true and rightful king... well, what if they do, in fact, unite behind the guy with the best bloodline claim, but not with a crown on his head? Seems like a nice play on prophecy to me!

Jon using this technical plot of being freed from vows,is ridculous and out of character imo. Until the wall breaks down..I do not see Jon deserting NW...given how..Marsh and the other stabbers were crying and seemed like they were under some control when they stabbed him...He will probably investigate this matter through Ghost and once he is back in his own body ..resume his duty.

I'd rather see him sitting on the Iron Throne than being Lord of Winterfell or King in the North purely because I don't think its fair (or in his character) to take that title while another child of Ned's lives. If he truly is 'Ned Stark's Bastard' then fair enough but I'm convinced his Stark lineage comes from Lyanna and his inheritance (male blood line) comes from Rhaegar.

However, to be honest I don't want to see him as King either. I think his character is more about sacrifice and duty and he represents the character that 'should have it all' but instead he's the 'Bastard' while ironically outranking the ones who have all the power. In a fairy tale he would be the 'zero to hero' character like King Arthur in the Legends....but this isn't a fairy tale. Although, he may become King in a duty bound way while taking no enjoyment in the role which seems pretty 'bitter sweet.'

However, my opinions can sway drastically with two new books.

Too early, too short...

Come on, everyone knows that a fantasy realm just can't survive without a Chosen One with a secret heritage and ancient royal blood in charge. The poor normal people just aren't good enough for the job.

... of Captain of the Night Watch (Captain Carrot "Headbanger" Ironfounderson who besides all the above also is 7' tall secred Dwarf).

But homage to Pterry, in ASOIAF Jon is not only Captain but Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

ETA: Remember Maester Aemon (Targaryen)? He managed not becoming King and was allowed to stay at the wall. I think it feasible to not meddle with the affairs of the Kingdoms and continue watch business.

Archived