Kurt Sutter’s Period Drama for FX - 'The Bastard Executioner'

AncalagonTheBlack

Sons Of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter has lined up his follow-up series to the hit FX drama, and it is as far from SOA‘s contemporary Central Valley biker community as they come (but probably just as violent).

Sutter has teamed with Imagine’s Brian Grazer for The Bastard Executioner, a period drama project that has received a pilot greenlight from FX.

Bastard Executioner tells the story of a warrior knight in King Edward III’s charge who is broken by the ravages of war and vows to lay down his sword. But when that violence finds him again he is forced to pick up the bloodiest sword of all. “I love the network. I love the world. I love the blood,” Sutter said. He will write the script and executive produce with Imagine’s Grazer and Francie Calfo for Fox 21 and FX Prods. through Sutter’s overall deal with Fox 21 parent 20th Century Fox TV, where Imagine TV also is based. Sutter is expected to start working on Bastard Executioner when he wraps the upcoming seventh and final season of SOA, with filming of the pilot slated to begin late next year.

“For 13 years at FX, starting as a writer and working his way up to an executive producer on The Shield, then as Creator/Executive Producer of Sons Of Anarchy, Kurt has interwoven literary and pulp storytelling within two of the most successful series in cable history,” said FX Networks CEO John Landgraf. “Now he has conceived a deep, provocative and historically precise narrative journey into our medieval past — and I have no doubt Bastard Executioner will be another remarkably original and gripping series. We’re also thrilled to be in business with Brian Grazer, one of the most gifted film and TV producers in the business.”

The Bastard Executioner, which marks FX’s first pilot with Imagine TV, stems from an idea by Grazer, who had been exploring the arena for some time. “I find the executioner to be an incredibly fascinating and provocative character,” he said. “He deals with the highest order and the lowest order in the culture. It’s about as morally complex a profession as you can imagine, and it is going to make for a spellbinding series.” Grazer pitched the idea to 20th chairmen Dana Walden and Gary Newman. The two, along with Fox21 president Bert Salke, suggested Sutter as writer. After meeting with Grazer and taking some time to contemplate the idea, Sutter built a whole world around it, and the pitch was taken to FX, which bought it on the spot. “It was our great pleasure to introduce Kurt to Brian Grazer, who is a powerful force in our industry and a great champion of breakthrough films and television shows like Imagine’s own 24 and Arrested Development,” Walden and Newman said. “Kurt and Brian together will be unstoppable.”

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/fx-orders-executioner-pilot-from-sons-of-anarchy-creator-kurt-sutter-brian-grazer/

• 3 weeks later...

Will prob give a chance tbh even though I quit soa a while ago :(

Why did you quit SOA?

Season 6 was just amazing! Probably one of the bests seasons that a TV show could imagine have.

This show has everything to be great, and almost sure some of the actors of SOA will be in this series.

Why did you quit SOA?

Season 6 was just amazing! Probably one of the bests seasons that a TV show could imagine have.

This show has everything to be great, and almost sure some of the actors of SOA will be in this series.

wait what.i can honestly say that the latest season of sons was one of the worst seasons of television i have ever subjected myself to. (worse than season 4 of heroes by a mile) every episode was a chore to sit through . i hope to never see any of the actors from soa ever again. its really a toss up what is worse at this point, the writing of the series, the idea to have all the episodes be an hour and a half, or the acting of charlie hunnam.

ETA: that said, this looks interesting and im fully looking forward to the first season or two of this.

wait what.i can honestly say that the latest season of sons was one of the worst seasons of television i have ever subjected myself to. (worse than season 4 of heroes by a mile) every episode was a chore to sit through . i hope to never see any of the actors from soa ever again. its really a toss up what is worse at this point, the writing of the series, the idea to have all the episodes be an hour and a half, or the acting of charlie hunnam.

ETA: that said, this looks interesting and im fully looking forward to the first season or two of this.

That is your taste, I liked and lots of people too (not that lots of people like something = tv show of quality) and it's not even close to be so disgusting as Heroes.

Plus Kurt Sutter use to work with the same actors David Labrava, CCH Pounder and Walton Goggins worked with him in The Shield, so probably a few actors of SOA will be in The Bastard Executioner.

I agree that Charlie Hunnam is not the best of actors, but Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke are way worse.

Understand your point about 1h30 episodes, they are too long.

I agree that Charlie Hunnam is not the best of actors, but Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke are way worse.

so theres another show with worse actors among their ensembles than the lead of sons?

im sure there are worse actors on tv than any of those three

its tough because hunnam is not just bad, hes playing a character that is both despicable and uncharismatic. its not that im rooting against him at this point. i just dont care. theyve dragged out plot points to the point where the only way to have a decent season next year would to kill off all the sons in the season opener and focus on the mayans

I watched season 1 of SoA and thought if was okay, but don't really feel compelled to watch anymore. I haven't seen The Shield either. But this new series sounds amazing, and I'll be sure to check it out. I'm all for violent and morally complex historical dramas (ie Rome, though I'm not expecting this to be half as good as Rome, but even half as good is great).

I watched season 1 of SoA and thought if was okay, but don't really feel compelled to watch anymore. I haven't seen The Shield either. But this new series sounds amazing, and I'll be sure to check it out. I'm all for violent and morally complex historical dramas (ie Rome, though I'm not expecting this to be half as good as Rome, but even half as good is great).

I'm a season behind on Sons, but have more or less enjoyed it. I do highly recommend The Shield though.

I'd have been more excited if SoA hadn't descended into the farce that it now is. I have 2 episodes of season 6 left and it's the worst since season 3's "let's go to Ireland". I'll save my scathing review for the SoA thread when I'm finished. Let's just say I enjoy the show as a soap/action-comedy now.

The idea for the new show seems full of potential and I know Sutter can be great. It's just the current run of SoA was largely co-written by him and it was a joke. Maybe he just needs to move on?

EDIT: The big question will be whether they'll use period music for the obligatory silent montage scene at the end of every episode of the new show.

• 1 year later...

Bastard Executioner’ FX Pilot Cast Set:

Kurt Sutter’s FX pilot The Bastard Executioner has set its cast. In his follow-up to Sons Of Anarchy, Sutter is breaking in new talent, casting unknown Australian theater actor Lee Jones as the lead.

True Blood star Stephen Moyer and Sam Spruell are set for major roles in the period drama, as is SOA’s Katey Sagal. This time around, Sagal will be joined in front of the camera by her husband, Sutter, who also will be a regular on the show, playing Sagal’s character’s “mute” mate and guardian who rarely speaks and does not show his face.

Additionally, Matthew Rhys, star of FX’s The Americans, will guest star in the pilot. He is expected to recur on the potential series, which would not impact his status on The Americans. Production of the pilot, written by Sutter and directed by SOA’s Paris Barclay, begins on March 19 in Wales.

Rounding out the regular cast of the Fox 21 TV Studios-FX Prods-Imagine project are fellow SOA alum Timothy V. Murphy, Flora Spencer-Longhurst, Darren Evans, Danny Sapani, Sarah White, and Sarah Sweeney.

Newcomer Lee Jones (pictures) plays the lead, the tall, dark and imposing Wilkin Brattle. The emotionally deep, spiritually tortured former knight in the charge of King Edward I now lives a simple agrarian life. Jones is repped by Emery Entertainment and Sophie Jermyn in Australia. The race for L.A. agents to sign him starts now.

• Stephen Moyer plays the street smart and noble savvy Milus Corbett. He was one of Ventris’ marshals in the army. Now, serves as his Chamberlain, Chancellor and Justiciar. Friend and drinking mate. Moyer is repped by WME.
  • Katey Sagal plays Annora of the Alders: Prescient, mystical and beautiful. She offers predictions, cures and potions. Sagal is repped by WME.
  • Flora Spencer-Longhurst is Baroness Lowry ‘Love’ Aberffraw Ventris: As cunning as she is kind and beautiful. From a wealthy Welsh family, she married Ventris at 17 to protect her family’s land. Her noble duties always in conflict with her Welsh pride. Spencer-Longhurst is repped by United Agents.
  • Kurt Sutter is The Dark Mute: Mate and guardian of Annora. Speaks rarely, no one’s ever seen his face. Sutter is repped by WME.
  • Sam Spruell plays Toran Prichard: Fierce, tenacious. An archer under Madog Llywelyn in the last major Welsh rebellion. He put down the bow and picked up the hoe. Wilkin’s best mate. Spruell is repped by ICM and Silver Lining Entertainment.
  • Darren Evans (Galavant) plays Ash y Goedwig: Wiry, smart. A trapper. An orphan “of the woods”. Friend of Wilkin. Evans is repped by Troika.
  • Danny Sapani (Penny Dreadful) plays Berber the Moor: A large, educated man. Converted Muslim. A farmer. Friend of Wilkin. Sapani is repped by Gordon and French.
  • Timothy V. Murphy is Father Ruskin: A Brawny. Gentle, with bottled fury. Former soldier. Left the military for the seminary. Priest, rector and teacher of the court. Murphy is repped by SDB Partners.
  • Sarah White is Isabel Kiffin: Tall, slight. Awkward and innocent. Lady Love’s handmaiden and trusted confidant. White is represented by Gendler & Kelly, and APC.
  • Sarah Sweeny is Jessamy Maddox: Pretty, hardened by abuse. The executioner’s wife. Repped by Lou Coulson Associates.
  • In a guest-starring role, Matthew Rhys plays Gruffudd y Blaidd: Smart, fearless, of noble blood. The Wolf. Leader of the Welsh rebels, Byth Encil. Rhys is repped by WME and Management 360.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/bastard-executioner-stephen-moyer-katey-sagal-kurt-sutter-cast-matthew-rhys-fx-pilot-1201380507/

Yeah, I'm waiting a season, to see if Sutter is going to start from the tail end of his SOA run or the head.

I can't be hurt again!

Also: Oh,he's acting in his own work again...bad sign.

I'm with you on that. The fact Katey Sagal's in it has me on the bench as while she can act, SoA proved that her Husband (sutter) gives her material for the sake of being in his shows.

Having Matthew Rhys in it can only be good as long as it never interferes with his work on "the americans"

• 2 months later...

‘Bastard Executioner’ Picked Up To Series By FX For Fall Launch

Kurt Sutter’s follow-up drama to Sons Of Anarchy is officially a go at FX. The cable network has picked up Sutter’s gritty Late Middle Ages drama pilot The Bastard Executioner to series with a 10-episode order. The pickup to the project, from Imagine TV, Fox 21 TV Studios and FX Prods., comes just as the the pilot wrapped production in Wales. Production on the series will resume there in the summer.

First look/pic - http://img2.tvtome.com/i/u/9232ca670a354938c9787e61013108ac.jpg

Archived