Kurt Sutter’s Period Drama for FX - 'The Bastard Executioner'

AncalagonTheBlack

This looks interesting, although I haven't really heard anything positive about SoA. I'm a little bit worried that the lead is new to acting. I hope that he's closer to Travis Fimmel (who was excellent right of the bat as Ragnar) than to that atrocious Italian guy they have playing Marco Polo on Netflix.

Also: Oh,he's acting in his own work again...bad sign.

Why? Otto was one of the few things that worked in the latter seasons of SoA. To me, the bad sign is casting Katey Sagal, as Red Snow said.

Excited above Matthew Rhys though. Never seen him anywhere else but he is unbelievable in Americans.

Eh. I'll check this out, but all of the signs point to another show that was like the last season of SoA, which was truly and horribly dull. Sutter acting in it, the return of Katey Sagal...ugh, ugh, ugh.

I like the premise, so I hope I'm surprised by how great it is.

I hate to be Ned Negative.... but I have zero faith in Kurt Sutter... he seemed to have lost his mind,,, those "Anarchy Afterwards" talkshows were hilariously awful.... and Sutter just appeared to be guano psychotic... and Katie Segal in a period piece?...it reminds me of the Family Guy bit where Kurt Cameron played Jean Valjean

I hate to be Ned Negative.... but I have zero faith in Kurt Sutter... he seemed to have lost his mind,,, those "Anarchy Afterwards" talkshows were hilariously awful.... and Sutter just appeared to be guano psychotic... and Katie Segal in a period piece?...it reminds me of the Family Guy bit where Kurt Cameron played Jean Valjean

OMG, those afterwards shows were the worst. Even Katey Sagel would occasionally look at Sutter like he'd lost his mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite what some might say I greatly enjoyed SoA and also The Shield. Both of them are among my top 10 series of all time with SoA maybe even in my Top 5.

Sutter making a medieval drama series is some fantastic news to me. I for one expect great things.

Well, SoA sucked dick, and The Shield was all Shawn Ryan. Sorry =P

Despite what some might say I greatly enjoyed SoA and also The Shield. Both of them are among my top 10 series of all time with SoA maybe even in my Top 5.

Sutter making a medieval drama series is some fantastic news to me. I for one expect great things.

some people were saying that you did not enjoy those shows?

Why? Otto was one of the few things that worked in the latter seasons of SoA. To me, the bad sign is casting Katey Sagal, as Red Snow said.

Excited above Matthew Rhys though. Never seen him anywhere else but he is unbelievable in Americans.

He didn't exactly say much in those latter seasons or feature heavily. If he's the silent executioner we're in for a treat though.

There are going to have to be rave reviews of this to get me to touch this show though. Even then I'll be cautious given SoA - which besides season 3 - wasn't the worst thing I've ever watched (actually fine) but I really have to be more selective about what I watch. Which is good as it's due to the abundance of great TV rather than me complaining how much time I have.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmm.

Wonder if Kurt Sutter read an abstract of A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain by Marc Morris.

In any case I have no sense that Sutter has a clue about what the middle ages were, anywhere, and not just in England or Wales.  Or gives a damn, really.  He just wants to jump on a perceived bandwagon.

Archived