Who Deserves the Iron Throne?

TheNiggardlyBastard

The nature of the throne itself provides the answer - anyone wielding the power and strength to seize and hold it. It is manufactured from the swords of vanquished enemies after all.

And as Joffrey finds out when it bleeds him, literally perilous to its current occupant

Totally agree

• 9 months later...

Stannis has the most legitimate right to the throne currently (Robert acquired via conquest and his grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen).

The reader knows the truth about Robert's three children but it is still speculation or lies for many in the realm.

So if Daenerys battles for the IT, then she would be the next usurper...so to speak.

All this assumes there will be an Iron Throne in the end.

Stannis has the most legitimate right to the throne currently (Robert acquired via conquest and his grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen).

The reader knows the truth about Robert's three children but it is still speculation or lies for many in the realm.

So if Daenerys battles for the IT, then she would be the next usurper...so to speak.

All this assumes there will be an Iron Throne in the end.

i just dont believe GRRM would destroy IT after 7 books. At this point after 5 books i expect someone to sit on the damn thing in the end. Everyone has their favorite and for GRRM to deny us a King/Queen,i just wont accept.

i just dont believe GRRM would destroy IT after 7 books. At this point after 5 books i expect someone to sit on the damn thing in the end. Everyone has their favorite and for GRRM to deny us a King/Queen,i just wont accept.

It is not the once and future king that would be denied, I think the piece of furniture will not survive.

It is not the once and future king that would be denied, I think the piece of furniture will not survive.

What Jon Weirgaryen said.

I think there will be a throne...maybe not the Iron Throne...and Kings Landing may have to be completely rebuilt...so Daenerys would basically have to start over just as Aegon started from scratch (for the most part).

If we are going by succession rules, Stannis Baratheon is the rightful heir, I think.

What do we think about Gendry? Or another of Robert's bastards exercising a claim to the throne? I mean, they may be born out of wedlock, but they are more of his heirs than Joffrey, Myrcella, or Tommen (since they are Jaime's bastards). Thoughts?

I also particularly like the R+L=J theory, but since Jon is in the Night's Watch, I don't know exactly how that will play into anything.

Stannis. Yeah, yeah I'm a fanboy who thinks he can do no wrong and so on and so forth.

TDwD spoilers:

Seriously though he has done IMO quite a lot for the realm. He ruled the realm with Jon Arryn for 14 years, he brought the Greyjoy Rebellion to a swift end by destroying the Iron Fleet, he doesn't look down on the lowborn and actually has a commoner as Hand and he is the only king who is preparing the realm for the Others. Also most of the other people who'd deserve it are already dead.

I'd love to say a Targaryen, but there are none I can have my faith in, unless Jon Snow truly is...

Until that can be said surely, Stannis Baratheon does have the rightful claim to the throne. And, in my opinion, would make a better ruler than any of the other candidates, except Snow.

Given that you think that right of conquest is valid, if Daenerys fights for the throne and wins, then *she* would have the most legitimate right to the throne, by that same right.

Archived