Garlan Tyrell

Gerold Dayne <--------------------

Mance Rayder

Oberyn Martell

Qhorin Halfhand

Rhaegar Targaryen

Robert Baratheon

Yohn Royce

3: (Slightly Above Average Westerosi Knight)

Balon Swann

Brandon Stark

Brienne

Bronn

Loras Tyrell

Syrio Forel

Victarion Greyjoy

Yoren

4: (Average Westerosi Knight)

Jon Snow

Jorah Mormont

Jory Cassel

Meryn Trant

Ned Stark

Robb Stark

5: (Slightly Below Average Westerosi Knight)

Grenn

Pypar

6: (Below Average Westerosi Knight)

Tyrion Lannister

7: (Way Below Average Knight)

Samwell Tarly

You can see my signature for related polls.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not enough love for Ned, too much love for Oberyn & no love for Ser Duncan the Tall. All I got to say is Ned was never captured and Jaime was.

I think there's a difference between one's fighting ability and one's battle acumen. Jaime got caught, yes, but go back and read how many men he cut down before he was finally overwhelmed. We really don't know all that much about Ned's fighting abilities or how he approached a battlefield. He may have commanded from the rear, a la Tywin, as opposed to being in the thick of things (like Jaime or Robert). My guess is that Jaime would have not had too much trouble with Ned Stark in a one-on-one sword fight.

Not enough love for Ned, too much love for Oberyn & no love for Ser Duncan the Tall. All I got to say is Ned was never captured and Jaime was.

...what?

1) We don't have any explicit examples of fighting feats for Ned.

2) Oberyn took down the mountain while basically toying with and provoking him.

3) Ser Duncan has gotten his ass kicked in all three stories so far and has won his fight (s) through his size and strength, not skill at arms. The man he killed, Ser Lucas Longinch', he killed by holding him under water, after taking quite a beating from him and almost dying. He also killed Black Tom Heddle, although I can't remember the details of their encounter. At this point in time, Dunk seems an average knight at best who is terrible in tournies, and that's being generous. When speaking to Dunk about Egg being his squire, Maekar actually offered to take Dunk in at Summerhall so a master at arms could finish his training properly as well as train Egg.

4) Jaime was captured while screaming Robb's name in battle and cutting down ranks of Stark men single handed to get to Robb to kill him. Ned had the advantage of...winning...in the battles he took part of.

I think there are too many tiers. Warriors become "legendary" not only by their skill, but just as much by heaving the opportunities to prove it.
How much sense do such elaborated distinctions really make? In the end, the outcome is what suits the plot progression. I don't think someone could have predicted the results of fights like Brienne vs Biter or Bronn vs Ser Vardis.
I suggest:

Very good warriors: The entire KG of Aerys, Robert Baratheon, the Cleganes, Oberyn, Garlan, Victarion, Bronce Yohn, Greatjon,........

Good warriors: Rangers of the Night's Watch (since I believe that they train more than most knights in Westeros, as there is not much more to do for them), Thoros of Myr, Ser Vardis, Areo Hotah and other Captains of the some Guard, Bron, Brienne, Loras, Ned( I think that the experience and training that he most likely had make him better than average), ..............

Average warriors: most of the men with some kind of training

Bad warriors: Sam and untrained people

What do the letters representing each tier stand for/Why have you picked those specific letters?

We have no proof that Stannis or Renly or Aegon can fight remotely well.

Why is Halfhand that high up? Why are Jon and Robb that low down (and equal with Joff)? Why is Belwas that low down even though he proved he could fight just as effectively, if not more so, than an armoured foe? Why is Asha that high up? Why are the Kettleblacks that low down? Why is Ned only as good as the average westerosi knight?

You've made a decent attempt at this, and it's definitely useful to have a ranking system in place; but I'm just curious as to your reasoning behind some of these choices.

Notice I put people who have had training but we don't know there capabilities in the same tier as average Westrosi knight. Robb probably got beat by Joff, Jon isn't that much better than Robb to warrant a tier upgrade. Asha took out like 15 dudes dancing in the woods. Belwas beat an Essosi knight from Danys battles we learn Essosi=/=Westrosi. IIRC Jon thinks Halfhand could've killed him about anytime. Ketteblack got kidnapped by the faith...who are peasants...I hope this explains my reasons.

Edit: Brienne is B tier. Also tiers aren't really in order, so say Aegon isn't necessarily a "better" warrior than Robb because I listed him 1st they are just imo close in skill.

I'd put The Hound in top tier. Before anyone mentions Jaimes thought "With speed and skill..." I want to say that I never read that as Jaime would win for sure. I read that as "That's the tactic I would employ and the one that would play to my strengths although victory is by no means assured".

Why are people saying that Robb was beaten by Joffrey? "You took more swats than you gave, Joff." True, Joffrey is younger and probably held his own reasonably well, but he still obviously lost. Furthermore, Joffrey hasn't trained at all since then and is a coward, whereas Robb certainly isn't a coward and fought in battles. Robb and Jon should be in a higher tier than Joffrey. Joffrey would have his arse handed to him by Jon in a fight.

Why are people saying that Robb was beaten by Joffrey? "You took more swats than you gave, Joff." True, Joffrey is younger and probably held his own reasonably well, but he still obviously lost. Furthermore, Joffrey hasn't trained at all since then and is a coward, whereas Robb certainly isn't a coward and fought in battles. Robb and Jon should be in a higher tier than Joffrey. Joffrey would have his arse handed to him by Jon in a fight.

Fair point, going at it in the training yard or a tournament is entirely different from real combat. One who is a bit less skilled can often beat the better fighter if he lacks the courage and killer instinct.

We hear it from EVERY Stark child that Bran whooped Tommen and the Stark children were pretty neutral to Tommen. If Robb really did spank Joff (who was already rubbing everyone the wrong way) we would've heard it.

epitaph

Hrmm?

S rank - Arthur, Barristan, Jaime, Robert, Gregor Sandor

A - Garlan, Victarion, Thoros, Geat Jon, Bronze Yon, Gerold Dayne

B - Brienne, Loras, Mance, Oberyn, Drogo, Lyn Corbray

C - Renly, Jorah, Beric, Balon Swann, Jon Snow, Randyl

D - Aegon, Robb, Lancel, Average Westrosi Knight

F - Boros Blount, Puddles, Sam

Archived