Deadwood

The Monkey

Deadwood movie 'looking very good,' HBO says

The fabled Deadwood movie is finally looking very real — as in, likely going into production this year real. The thing is still not certain yet — it’s the Deadwood movie after all — but it’s as certain as something can be without actually being certain… if that makes sense.

This is how HBO’s programming president Casey Bloys explained it to us, and he’s not a guy who’s big on giving viewers false hope: “Assuming we can get the actors — their deals and schedules lined up — and the budget, which I think is close, we’re going to do this possibly in ’18 sometime,” Bloys said. “There are a lot of logistics that have to come together. The actors are on different shows. Assuming we can get them together, it’s looking very good.”

And in case you’re wondering, “the Deadwood movie” is literally movie length — two hours, Bloys confirmed, so don’t expect a miniseries.

I'll be interested in seeing if they pick up on what's going on 12 years later or if they are just going to pretend it's a year or two later. McShane has aged remarkably well but I think the rest of the cast is going to be much more difficult sell if that's the case.

From a historical point of view, the show took place in 1876-77. The Gem Theatre was burned down in 1879, along with most of the town, and it was rebuilt considerably larger and more opulent. In 1899 the Gem was torched again and Swearengen left town. He died in 1905 at the age of 59. Historical accuracy was never the show's strong point, but they may be looking at the real events for inspiration.

Fun factoid: Swearengen was actually quite young when the shit in Deadwood was going on. He was only in his thirties. McShane was older when he started playing the character than Swearengen was when he died.

• 6 months later...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-entertainment-news-updates-2018-at-long-last-deadwood-robin-weigert-1532094876-htmlstory.html#

actress Robin Weigert — who famously portrayed Calamity Jane in the HBO western — suggested that a “Deadwood” reunion is closer than ever. “It's safe enough to say it's happening this fall," Weigert said. “There's a set being built and tax incentives to get it done. A lot of [actors] have signed on. There's a 90% chance it'll finally happen.”

I finally got round to watching this series, what’s the general opinion on the individual seasons? Season 3 didn’t quite gel with me as well as the other two, but it was still great. It was so awesome to watch and then look up after, I had no clue it was based on anything true at all. Such a shame it was cut short, it ended on a bit of a downer. 

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

I finally got round to watching this series, what’s the general opinion on the individual seasons? Season 3 didn’t quite gel with me as well as the other two, but it was still great. It was so awesome to watch and then look up after, I had no clue it was based on anything true at all. Such a shame it was cut short, it ended on a bit of a downer. 

I've only watched the first 2 seasons, which I liked, especially season 1, and didn't get into season 3 as I felt the stories were too much of the same, and got bored. Here on the board it is a well regarded show.

I actually visited the town of Deadwood a few years ago. They had gun fight reenactments in the street, and there is a monument dedicated to Wild Bill.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Deadwood season three is Kinda like Rome season two. Better than most tv but a step down from the previous season(s). The theatre storyline did not work for me although Brian Cox hamming it up was awesome. 

And S3 gave us Dan vs the Captain. 

Oh shit, I forgot about that fight ... yea that was awesome. I just didn’t quite get the whole Hurst situation, it didn’t seem like he had much security until the end of the season so I spent the whole time wondering what was holding back Swearengen and Tolliver. Tolliver spent most of the time eating a big plate of shit from Hurst, and Swearengen gets his damn finger cut off ... season one Swearengen wouldn’t have stood for that for a second. I mean he was stood on the roof most of the season, just ... shoot him? Or something? Maybe there would be some repercussions I’m not seeing. And yea, I didn’t dislike the theatre people but it just took time away from other characters, the Doc wasn’t in it much.

I think at the time I maybe thought season 3 was weaker but with hindsight I look back in the whole thing with fondness.

I got the impression S3 was made with the expectation of S4 happening and as such we got a lot of groundwork for what could have been an excellent S4. A bit like how S1 and S3 of black sails set up S2 and S4.

I read something about the film the other that makes me a lot more optimistic about it seeing the light of day. I always thought of it as wishful thinking

On 7/20/2018 at 10:41 PM, red snow said:

I think at the time I maybe thought season 3 was weaker but with hindsight I look back in the whole thing with fondness.

Season 3 really is weaker. It has the problem that kills Deadwood, IMO, which is that the writers lose interest in any established character other than Al very easily. Plus, Al is a hard character to sustain over several seasons. You have to soften him, and they do, but then he loses his unique selling point and the cracks start to show.

Season 1 of Deadwood is some of the best TV ever made. Seasons 2 and 3 are pretty good. But I don't own them and don't feel the need to. Nor do I feel any real interest in a sequel film or season after all this time. If it materialises, I might watch it out of curiosity or if it gets excellent reviews, but I'm not hanging on for news.

Something I liked about season three was how it really solidified the Deadwood community. When we first met the characters in season one, everyone hated each other. Even the ones who were aligned with one other were constantly fighting and bickering. By season three, the main characters were still bickering, but they were also relying on one another both for survival and support. I think the scene that best exemplified this was right after Ellsworth's death, when his body was being pulled down the main street on a wagon, and we saw every main character react to it. This was a guy who, when we first met him in season one, was a loner whose closest companion was his dog. Now everyone was losing their mind at the sight of his corpse--even Cy knew that shit had hit the fan at that point. And then we see Al--the guy who had Alma's husband murdered in season one--jump from his balcony to rush her inside, followed by the main characters coming together to run Hearst out of town, protect Trixie after her assassination attempt fails, and reclaim Deadwood. At the end of the season, Hearst has purchased all the mines, but he's finally left Deadwood, Sol is the mayor, and the rest of them are around to live to fight another day. I think the season would have been remembered much more fondly had it been followed by a season four, which likely would have shown the characters getting some of their groove back. 

My main problem with Season 3 is that the numerous theatre troupe characters/storylines didn’t really add anything to the show. But as others have pointed out, Milch probably deserves some slack on that point because he was denied a fourth season for those characters to shine.

Personally I’m a big fan of the way S3 ended. It was unconventionally satisfying. 

Last year we heard:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/hbo-chief-long-awaited-deadwood-movie-has-terrific-script.html

Today we hear:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/against-all-odds-the-deadwood-movie-is-really-happening.html#comments

It’ll shoot this October, planning on a release in spring 2019, though that is not deadlocked, according to the president of HBO programming, Casey Bloys. Dan Minahan, who directed four episodes of the original series, will helm the film. “Let’s take the green light and celebrate that,” Bloys said, not adding further detail about the movie. Cross your fingers that nothing goes wrong as they prep for shooting, not, of course, that anything would ever delay this project.

Does beginning the filming in October and have the editing and all the post production steps and tasks completed by a spring release seem unusually, and unrealistically perhaps, too short a period for a feature length, scripted drama film?

Archived