The Monkey

Deadwood

385 posts in this topic

Deadwood movie 'looking very good,' HBO says

The fabled Deadwood movie is finally looking very real — as in, likely going into production this year real. The thing is still not certain yet — it’s the Deadwood movie after all — but it’s as certain as something can be without actually being certain… if that makes sense.

This is how HBO’s programming president Casey Bloys explained it to us, and he’s not a guy who’s big on giving viewers false hope: “Assuming we can get the actors — their deals and schedules lined up — and the budget, which I think is close, we’re going to do this possibly in ’18 sometime,” Bloys said. “There are a lot of logistics that have to come together. The actors are on different shows. Assuming we can get them together, it’s looking very good.”

And in case you’re wondering, “the Deadwood movie” is literally movie length — two hours, Bloys confirmed, so don’t expect a miniseries.

Don't jinx it, Ancalagon!!!

I'll be interested in seeing if they pick up on what's going on 12 years later or if they are just going to pretend it's a year or two later. McShane has aged remarkably well but I think the rest of the cast is going to be much more difficult sell if that's the case.

From a historical point of view, the show took place in 1876-77. The Gem Theatre was burned down in 1879, along with most of the town, and it was rebuilt considerably larger and more opulent. In 1899 the Gem was torched again and Swearengen left town. He died in 1905 at the age of 59. Historical accuracy was never the show's strong point, but they may be looking at the real events for inspiration.

Fun factoid: Swearengen was actually quite young when the shit in Deadwood was going on. He was only in his thirties. McShane was older when he started playing the character than Swearengen was when he died.

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

McShane has aged remarkably well

It continues to blow my mind that he's 75.

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It continues to blow my mind that he's 75.

Wow, i did NOT know that. Mind blowing indeed.