Superman and Batman: The League of Extraordinary #$@% Ups

Rhom

As much as I like both the Rock and Black Adam, I'm not sure that's a good fit. Willing to be convinced, though.

He looks the part. Plus, WB were wise to grab a hold of him before Fox or Disney put him onto a Marvel franchise. I don't think being in a marvel film excludes you from a DC film but it makes it trickier I'm sure. Johnson would have made an excellent Cable if they'd gone ahead with an X-force movie.

He looks the part.

Not really. He's supposed to be Egyptian - I can see why DC might be reluctant to have an Arabic bad guy in the current climate but I really doubt they'll make him not-Egyptian, they'll just pretend The Rock is (not that this is his first time). And it's not as if DC has a good record for this - it was bad enough with Ras Al-Ghul, where they had an Arab pretending to be a Frenchman being played by an Irishman while his stand-in/cover was played by a Japanese guy.

I also really hope they go for his more recent anti-hero/tragic villain portrayal than the older, more traditional bad guy.

Not really. He's supposed to be Egyptian - I can see why DC might be reluctant to have an Arabic bad guy in the current climate but I really doubt they'll make him not-Egyptian, they'll just pretend The Rock is (not that this is his first time). And it's not as if DC has a good record for this - it was bad enough with Ras Al-Ghul, where they had an Arab pretending to be a Frenchman being played by an Irishman while his stand-in/cover was played by a Japanese guy.

I also really hope they go for his more recent anti-hero/tragic villain portrayal than the older, more traditional bad guy.

He still looks the part based on the comics I've seen featuring Black Adam. Then again, I guess the artists don't go out of there way to make him look egyptian all the time. I wonder if they'll give him the weird pointy ears he's always had in the comics?

The futility of one-upsmanship...

Batman: I'm an orphan; my parents were murdered.

Superman: I'm an orphan; my home planet exploded with my parents still on it

Batman: I have a Batcave as a hideout

Superman: I have a Fortress of Solitude

Batman: I'm in peak human phsyical condition

Superman: I'm beyond peak human physical condition

Batman: I'm smart and educated enough that I could have a couple of PhD's.

Superman: I'm smart and educated enough that I had about 10 PhD's worth implanted into my brain during infancy

Batman: I am a ninja, allowing me to sneak up on anyone.

Superman: My sense of sight can pierce through virtually any cover, and I can hear minute sounds even miles away

Batman: I do not kill my enemies when I defeat them, which is really hard because I'm full of anger

Superman: I do not kill my enemies when I defeat them, which is really hard because even a hard belch from me can shatter reinforced concrete

Batman: I have billions of dollars at my disposal, and I'm able to invent all kinds of amazing gadgets and dangerous weapons

Superman: I have advanced alien technology at my disposal, and I'm able to invent all kinds of amazing gadgets and dangerous weapons. I can also fly unaided by machines, and shoot beams from my eyes that can slice skyscrapers in half.

Batman: Well, I'm cool.

Superman: ... You've got me there.

Superman: I'm smart and educated enough that I had about 10 PhD's worth implanted into my brain during infancy

Superman: My sense of sight can pierce through virtually any cover, and I can hear minute sounds even miles away

Batman: I do not kill my enemies when I defeat them, which is really hard because I'm full of anger

Superman: I do not kill my enemies when I defeat them, which is really hard because even a hard belch from me can shatter reinforced concrete

Batman: I have billions of dollars at my disposal, and I'm able to invent all kinds of amazing gadgets and dangerous weapons

Superman: I have advanced alien technology at my disposal, and I'm able to invent all kinds of amazing gadgets and dangerous weapons. I can also fly unaided by machines, and shoot beams from my eyes that can slice skyscrapers in half.

Welp... that would be true if this whole discussion weren't happening in the MoS universe where Superman killed the first major challenge he ever encountered.

Why would Superman want to team up with Batman?

And it's not as if DC has a good record for this - it was bad enough with Ras Al-Ghul, where they had an Arab pretending to be a Frenchman being played by an Irishman while his stand-in/cover was played by a Japanese guy.

Wait what? Liam Neeson'a Ras Al Ghul was awesome in portraying his immortality and relationship with Bruce Wayne / Batman.

What didn't you like about it?

Wait what? Liam Neeson'a Ras Al Ghul was awesome in portraying his immortality and relationship with Bruce Wayne / Batman.

Liam Neeson, as an actor, did fine.

However I refuse to believe that they couldn't have found an actor of the character's actual ethnicity if they'd wanted to who could do the job just as well.

I never got he was immortal in the film (mainly because he turned out not to be). I thought the immortality was more in the "there will always be a Ra's".

Liam Neeson, as an actor, did fine.

However I refuse to believe that they couldn't have found an actor of the character's actual ethnicity if they'd wanted to who could do the job just as well.

Ethnicity vs star power and star power is always going to win. It's good that it gets brought up when it's not a black actor being cast in a white role though.

This casting reminds me more of Wilson Fisk in the sense Michael Clarke Duncan was a clone of Fisk except for one thing, That's good enough, Speaking of which Black Adam could actually be black (in terms of history, not comics) as ancient egypt was apparently a melting pot for all ethnicities in the north african region,

I'm not an expert on ethnically egyptian actors. I tried thinking of someone else who looked like Black Adam and the best I could come up with was Arnold Vosloo (maybe the casting agents only looked at people from the Mummy?). He's South African with European parentage. If the makers of the film want a star then I'd still go for the Rock.

Because none of the things you mentioned about Superman are cool?

Archived