"Dracarys," or, "Be careful with that word ..."

2. They were responding to Jorah as a familiar figure they trusted, which could imply that Valyrian blood isn't necessary to tame a dragon.

I don't agree with this, i'm of the belief that you do infact need to be blood of the dragon to bond one

Getting off-topic to the point at hand, but a "miracle specific to her" doesn't make it any less of a freak occurrence. Miracles by their definition are always specific to the people for which they occur, that's kind of what makes them miracles.

ETA: Because it's not pertinent to the thread, this is the last I'll say on this subject.

4. Dany made kind of a dumbass choice to 1. pick a command that's in a language that's fairly well known in that part of the world and 2. make that command public on multiple occasions.

I think she probably chose valayrian because it was from her heritage, and given the people in her "khalasar" at the time, valayrian was not really the common tongue. She had a mixed group, so using Dothraki, or the common tongue, would have been dumbass. She probably felt legitimized as a targaryen by hatching dragons so the old tongue of her peops would be a good choice.

Hey, I'm not opposed to them responding to Jorah for that reason. But in that case, the Valyrian blood thing gets shaky; if Jorah doesn't have Valyrian blood, then they shouldn't obey him. And if they obey him because he's familiar to them, then that implies that other factors are at play besides Valyrian blood.

Ah ok. I don't believe its Valyrian blood but familiarity that will help with the dragons. (Then again we could turn this into a "Jorah is a secret Targ" discussion...). I think Dracarys will only work if the dragons see some sort of 'authority' with the person saying it.

I think she probably chose valayrian because it was from her heritage, and given the people in her "khalasar" at the time, valayrian was not really the common tongue. She had a mixed group, so using Dothraki, or the common tongue, would have been dumbass. She probably felt legitimized as a targaryen by hatching dragons so the old tongue of her peops would be a good choice.

More likely because it is the language of Valyria, from whence the dragons came?

Anyway, why would a dragon understand a word without being trained to do so? As I mentioned, there is an implication that there is some sort of genetic language memory.

As in, I trained my dogs to sit when I say Fffft. Or go to their bed when I say Sleepytime. That's the language they know, and I chose these words because I'm the boss.

ETA if they can hibernate in fossilized eggs for centuries, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kind of aural memory in addition to their other "talents"

But didn't GRRM already say the third rider didn't have to be a Targ? Maybe OP is onto something, and language is the first bonding key.

Not being Targ is a BIG difference to not having Dragonblood...Besides that comment was carefully made to throw the readers off of Jon's trail...Jon will ride long before he is reveled as Targ

Back on topic, a really interesting OP, something I'd not thought of. Chekhov's Dracarys?

The fact Grrm gives us Jorah setting things off, makes a future catastrophe a distinct possibility.

Regarding Nettles, i don't think we can be sure what is being implied. A false sense of doubt - or an exception? Both stances are equally valid with what we know.

This has already happened; it's called the Sack of Astapor, and it involved 8000 Unsullied chanting the word "dracarys".

I really don't understand the point of this thread? The Unsullied literally shouted "Dracarys" back at Dany the first time it was used in warfare, so the fact that other people can say the word should not be news to anyone, lol.

point.

I think was the dragon using his/their brain(s) and understanding a command is a command, and a shouting crowd is not commanding him/them.

What is the point of any thread. Fun speculation.

Hey, I'm not opposed to them responding to Jorah for that reason. But in that case, the Valyrian blood thing gets shaky; if Jorah doesn't have Valyrian blood, then they shouldn't obey him. And if they obey him because he's familiar to them, then that implies that other factors are at play besides Valyrian blood.

Was she?

Unless im missing something, any rider MUST have blood of the dragon. So yes Nette was a bastard from DS

More likely because it is the language of Valyria, from whence the dragons came?

Anyway, why would a dragon understand a word without being trained to do so? As I mentioned, there is an implication that there is some sort of genetic language memory.

As in, I trained my dogs to sit when I say Fffft. Or go to their bed when I say Sleepytime. That's the language they know.

ETA if they can hibernate in fossilized eggs for centuries, I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kind of aural memory in addition to their other "talents"

I don't think the OP is implying that they obey "dracarys" because they were born able to understand valayrian. It's what they were taught.

I don't think the OP is implying that they obey "dracarys" because they were born able to understand valayrian. It's what they were taught.

I'm trying to understand the importance of language to the dragons, since that is the topic.

And actually... Dany had a hard time getting them to feed until she tried out "Dracarys" on a piece of pork

I'm trying to understand the importance of language to the dragons, since that is the topic.

It's not really how it's important to the dragons. It's that Dany, either being oblivious or not really thinking ahead or both, chose a Valyrian word with which to command them. Perhaps at the time, as someone suggested, it seems prudent, given that she was mostly surrounded by Dothraki who didn't speak Valyrian. But as other parts of Essos get more and more involved in what she's doing, more and more people will get involved who speak Valyrian and who might inadvertently or intentionally pick up on "dracarys" and appropriate it for themselves.

So it's not about the language as it relates to the dragons, but as it relates to the people who might try to commandeer them.

I have yet to see evidence of anyone riding who didn't have dragonblood?

... Why the heck do you think I pointed out Nettles? At the absolute bare minimum, I think her inclusion and her method of training are meant to give us at least some pause about the Valyrian blood magic nonsense. And plenty of people with more obvious Valyrian features got themselves roasted trying to train a dragon.

I have yet to see evidence of anyone riding who didn't have dragonblood?

Nettles is ambiguous. Presumably that was to create doubt in the mind of the reader, so we would be having debates as we are now.

It's not really how it's important to the dragons. It's that Dany, either being oblivious or not really thinking ahead or both, chose a Valyrian word with which to command them. Perhaps at the time, as someone suggested, it seems prudent, given that she was mostly surrounded by Dothraki who didn't speak Valyrian. But as other parts of Essos get more and more involved in what she's doing, more and more people will get involved who speak Valyrian and who might inadvertently or intentionally pick up on "dracarys" and appropriate it for themselves.

So it's not about the language as it relates to the dragons, but as it relates to the people who might try to commandeer them.

My bad then. I thought the topic was about who was conceivably able to control dragons with the right Valyrian words, as you have suggested.

This has already happened; it's called the Sack of Astapor, and it involved 8000 Unsullied chanting the word "dracarys".

I really don't understand the point of this thread? The Unsullied literally shouted "Dracarys" back at Dany the first time it was used in warfare, so the fact that other people can say the word should not be news to anyone, lol.

The Unsullied shouted Dracarys as Dany did, so it went along with her plan. The point of the thread it to consider what happens when someone shouts Dracarys when Dany doesn't want dragonfire everywhere.

I'm sorry I had to type that out for you.

He would not outright lie. There's being ambiguous and then there's lying. He doesn't lie.

Absolutely not a lie..."dragonriders need not be Targ", a very calculated comment to throw off the readers. Jon will presumable ride soon??? Probably long before his lineage is discovered?

Archived