When did you start liking a universally disliked character?

The Fresh PtwP

I started liking jamie when he started caring about Brienne.

I stopped hating Sansa with "or maybe he'll give me yours" and I started liking her when she is in the Eyrie and thinks about how much she misses Jon Snow...

I like Melisandre since the beginning... Doesn't seem to me like she is evil, she is jut following her own beliefs.

I started feeling bad for Theon with all the Reek thing...

I've always hated Cersei, but her chapters make laugh so much...

And, i never, never liked Joffrey... Still hate him

Melisandre's POV turned me. Before she was just a one-dimensional fanatic. Realizing that there is a person in their was oddly reassuring.

Mel's POV changed my opinion about her too, plus her chapter offers a lot of insight.

As for the other characters, I started loving Sansa when she told Joffrey about taking his head and my opinion about Theon changed a lot in ADWD.

Love Arya btw! Not because she is just tomboyish or anything, is the fact that when you are reding her you can actually see her fighting with her vulnerability because she is a ten year old who has been forced to grow so fast.... She is impulsive and prone to outbursts as it was said in a post before, yet i still think of her as an innocent girl... Even though i know she is not anymore, yet there are som any things of her that are...Like "could you bring back a man with no head, not six times, only one" (i dont remember the phrase exactly, but something like that)

Anger: the second stage of grief.

Children react to people dying with anger, it's a perfectly normal and understandable response-she isn't being ungrateful, she's coping.

Yeah. Arya reacts that way because it hurts. She was angry with Yoren (and more angry about the situation and with herself) because he died and it hurt her.

This line is where I fell in love with Cersei. I wish I could correctly articulate why this line-is it her defiance, her reminding Ned that she has feelings and stakes and people she loves involved in the game and isn't going to roll over and die quietly across the sea to assuage his conscious or her insistence that she won't go down without a fight? All three? The mental image of Cersei rising smoothly, the setting sun gilding her golden hair, her vivid eyes eyes searching Ned's face, her bruised cheek swollen and exposed a reminder of her pride and her willingness to take knocks for it?

I don't understand it. Wasn't the whole point of the conversation the fact that Ned sees Cersei as a human being with feelings and thus showed mercy to her? During the whole talk Ned is feeling sorry for the woman who tried to kill his son and betrayed his friend. The people she loves are her children whom she is putting in danger while staying in KL and using them to get power (and continues to do so for the subsequent books). And about "assuaging his conscience": you make it sounds like Ned is a self righteous prick who only cares about his peace of mind when he is actually in the most difficult position having to make a lot of hard decisions and trying to do what he thinks is right (unlike Cersei and everyone else) even though it may be bad and dangerous for him.

I know this isn't the kind of thread intended to generate discussions like that but considering a commentary about Arya already caused some polite disagreement I thought I could politely defend Ned as well.

I don't understand it. Wasn't the whole point of the conversation the fact that Ned sees Cersei as a human being with feelings and thus showed mercy to her? During the whole talk Ned is feeling sorry for the woman who tried to kill his son and betrayed his friend. The people she loves are her children whom she is putting in danger while staying in KL and using them to get power (and continues to do so for the subsequent books). And about "assuaging his conscience": you make it sounds like Ned is a self righteous prick who only cares about his peace of mind when he is actually in the most difficult position having to make a lot of hard decisions and trying to do what he thinks is right (unlike Cersei and everyone else) even though it may be bad and dangerous for him.

I know this isn't the kind of thread intended to generate discussions like that but considering a commentary about Arya already caused some polite disagreement I thought I could politely defend Ned as well.

Basically.

He was going to tell Bob when he returned and thought Bob would kill them all.

He did this while under the impression that Cersei crippled Bran and murdered Jon Arryn. This is one of the reasons, in his mind he had to do something about discovering the incest instead of just pretending it never happened.

He even says that exile was a "kinder fate than Cersei deserved."

Honestly, I think most people would have just had Cersei executed when you consider that she did have some involvement with his sons crippling.

Basically.

He was going to tell Bob when he returned and thought Bob would kill them all.

He did this while under the impression that Cersei crippled Bran and murdered Jon Arryn. This is one of the reasons, in his mind he had to do something about discovering the incest instead of just pretending it never happened.

He even says that exile was a "kinder fate than Cersei deserved."

Honestly, I think most people would have just had Cersei executed when you consider that she did have some involvement with his sons crippling.

Exactly. I fail to see how Ned isn't sympathetic at this point and somewhat deserves to be called on some imaginary bullshit by a woman he never wronged and whom he has every reason to hate. It's indeed a much kinder fate than Cersei deserved.

There's also the fact that he suspects Stannis knows the children aren't Robert's and there's absolutely no chance for Ned to let it slide without making the realm fall apart and opening a precedent for more acts of treason. This and the reasons you already presented.

If I was Ned I don't know what I would do. That is the reason I think he is the most tragic hero in the story.

Sandor: His actions are those of a true knight, the knight of Sansa's dreams.

Theon/Reek: from universally hated to someone everyone now is rooting for.

Jaime: ditto

These 3 are probably the characters I've changed my opinion on the most, from dislike to really liking.

Not sure if he is universally disliked but Quentyn gained my sympathy since the first pages of his first chapters when he remembers how he was shy with girls. And this passage is one of the saddest moments in the whole series for me :crying: :

“I disagree. Daenerys Targaryen is not the only woman in the world. Do you want to die a man-maid?”
Quentyn did not want to die at all. "I want to go back to Yronwood and kiss both of your sisters, marry Gwyneth Yronwood, watch her flower into beauty, have a child by her. I want to ride in tourneys, hawk and hunt, visit with my mother in Norvos, read some of those books my father sends me. I wantCletus and Will and Maester Kedry to be alive again".

Quentyn doesn't get nearly enough love and sympathy.

"My brother would have you be content with the cold and dismal north, my niece with even less ... but I shall give you Lannisport. Highgarden. The Arbor. Oldtown. The riverlands and the Reach, the kingswood and the rainwood, Dorne and the marches, the Mountains of the Moon and the Vale of Arryn, Tarth and the Stepstones. I say we take it all! I say, we take Westeros."

Made me start to like Euron. He's so crazy and badass, same with Victarion and Damphair.

I like the high sparrow. I dont know for sure if he's powerhungry or truly pious, but, like his most famous vic said, "this man is implacable".

He have a wicked sense of humour which appeared in the punishments he devises for the others (the corrupt fat and whoremonger septons scrubbing the floor, the WOS).

And when he gave a glimpse of his mercifulnes toward the poor osney haha.

I hope he will become a major power, he have the iron will, and his personnal army.

Wyman Manderly gone bad is a great event too. If he could frighten Davos who saw some nasty stuff...

But i wonder if he really cooked the frey's and ate them...

Not sure how universally hated he is but LF would have to be fav character that is not loved by many. His delusional love for Cat(and subsequently Sansa) fueled his greed and power hungryness. He was always made too feel as any unworthy match and inferior and aspired to be better and for this i love him. Plus Aiden Gillen makes him so endearing and gives him a little sex appeal. LOL

Not sure if he is universally disliked but Quentyn gained my sympathy since the first pages of his first chapters when he remembers how he was shy with girls. And this passage is one of the saddest moments in the whole series for me :crying: :

“I disagree. Daenerys Targaryen is not the only woman in the world. Do you want to die a man-maid?”

Quentyn did not want to die at all. "I want to go back to Yronwood and kiss both of your sisters, marry Gwyneth Yronwood, watch her flower into beauty, have a child by her. I want to ride in tourneys, hawk and hunt, visit with my mother in Norvos, read some of those books my father sends me. I wantCletus and Will and Maester Kedry to be alive again".

Quentyn doesn't get nearly enough love and sympathy.

:bowdown:

I would say he is universally disliked... until now I thought I was the only one who liked him :bawl:

Archived