Who do you like more? Sansa or Arya?

The Imperator

Sansa. I like both, but I feel like Sansa gets the more interesting character growth/development while Arya's story borders on the 'kickass tomboy' cliche mixed in with the traditional revenge storyline. I do like Arya's chapters in Braavos, though (it also helps that Braavos is my favorite of the Free Cities :D)

To be fair, my opinion is also slightly affected by having run into more than a few people on this forum who have bashed Sansa for not 'saving herself' while ignoring the fact that Arya - while definitely more independent - has also benefitted greatly from a series of mentor figures and protectors (Syrio, Yoren, Sandor).

Bingo. In a lot ways I think Sansa's arc is more realistic, and that is one reason people dislike her because deep down they fear they'd behave like she would under the circumstances. We want to think we'd be like Arya and manage daring escapes only to master the art of becoming a total badass, but in reality that's usually not an option. In reality, like Sansa, we'd be pretty helpless under these circumstances and would just have to master the art of survival.

Sansa. Obviously it was the other way around in GoT because Sansa was just so annoying, but I never liked Arya much anyway so when Sansa became smarter and more sympathetic and interesting I began to like her more. I find Arya just kind of whiny and annoying for some reason. Her chapters with the FM are cool though.

I think it diminishes GRRM's writing to just reduce his characters to cliches. The kickass tomboy I think fits Arya of Winterfell but that was several books ago. Then he starts to play with the child soldier aspect so it becomes less "fun" and "cutesy" and something dark and very real on a psychological level. There is character development there along with the action.GRRM is not so poor a writer that he sticks just to tropes and is unable to develop a character like Arya.

sansa without a question

arya is just so "fake" ,her story is a nice adventure fuled by plot armour , so i enjoy it but i'm not invested in it

while sansa is an experience of self discovery and growth of character which i find way more rewarding to me as a reader to watch her grow into a strong woman than what i get with arya

to put it simple , arya is like the movie Brave , it's a nice movie ,i enjoined it but I'm not watching it ever again

while sansa is princess Mononoke , which i loved and will never get tired or bored of watching

Wait isn't Princess Mononoke actually San the young girl raised by the wolf clan? San the warrior princess who attempts to assassinate Eboshi? San the adopted daughter of a giant wolf and her pack that are trying to defend the forest? San who hates people? Isn't San an awful lot like Arya? Moro and Nymeria the female wolf leaders of there respective packs. San who wore the mask to disguise her face? San who rejects humanity and thinks of herself as a wolf? San the angry Orphan? San who can never forgive the people for hurting her world? You don't see a just maybe a little Arya there? Ok a lot Arya in Princess Mononoke?

This Arya http://www.oassf.com/en/arya-stark.html

2nd pick

And this San

https://www.google.com/#q=princess+mononoke

I love Arya but disliked Brave. I couldn't finish that Princess movie. Howl is better to me.

well to be honest , i haven't seen a movie worth a second watch since 2008 and howl is good :thumbsup: but still not something I'd watch again

a shame about not finishing princess Mononoke , it's the best animation movie ever made imo but it is long I'll give you that but i enjoyed every second of it

you know a friend of mine once compared asoiaf to the departed which i thought was funny but nice :p

I find the "realism" points strange considering the genre of the book you're reading to begin with and other stuff that's already taken place.

Yes, it's a fantasy series but I've said elsewhere that this fandom is very special snowflake. They want it to not be like other fantasy and more "real". Whatever. I don't base how good fantasy is based on how realistic or relatable it is. Sorry but this isn't a story just about history and politics.

I also hate how people say no most people are really like Sansa not Arya. How about neither? The world would be boring if there were only two types one could be like.

Wait isn't Princess Mononoke actually San the young girl raised by the wolf clan? San the warrior princess who attempts to assassinate Eboshi? San the adopted daughter of a giant wolf and her pack that are trying to defend the forest? San who hates people? Isn't San an awful lot like Arya? Moro and Nymeria the female wolf leaders of there respective packs. San who wore the mask to disguise her face? San who rejects humanity and thinks of herself as a wolf? San the angry Orphan? San who can never forgive the people for hurting her world? You don't see a just maybe a little Arya there? Ok a lot Arya in Princess Mononoke?

This Arya http://www.oassf.com/en/arya-stark.html

2nd pick

And this San

https://www.google.com/#q=princess+mononoke

i know man but it's just that i'm using it to compare MY INTEREST in the characters to my interest in the movies not the actual content of the movies (as in i had some fun with brave like i have some fun with arya but Mononoke is my feel good movie that i go to when i want something good just like sansa is )

Arya. To all of the people who say they like Sansa because her story is more 'realistic' Well you must not like Dany much.

Actually, I'm not a huge Dany lover. I enjoy her significance to the books, and I'm not on the Dany hating train, I'm just not that into her.

Funny thing is on the show's its different-I like Arya more because of MW's performance, though, ST is great as well.

Really I adore both sisters as characters and can't wait to see what happens to them next.

I think it diminishes GRRM's writing to just reduce his characters to cliches. The kickass tomboy I think fits Arya of Winterfell but that was several books ago. Then he starts to play with the child soldier aspect so it becomes less "fun" and "cutesy" and something dark and very real on a psychological level. There is character development there along with the action.GRRM is not so poor a writer that he sticks just to tropes and is unable to develop a character like Arya.

I agree, and I think that relegating her into the badass tomboy category ignore the tragedy of her story and of what she's becoming.

I find the "realism" points strange considering the genre of the book you're reading to begin with and other stuff that's already taken place.

Why would it be strange? One of the main reasons I like this series is because so far it seems more realistic than typical fantasy.

I agree, and I think that relegating her into the badass tomboy category ignore the tragedy of her story and of what she's becoming.

Agreed. I understand why Arya is acting the way she is-I understand it all too well. But nevertheless, she may be becoming too cold, too ruthless for me to "like" her on a personal level. Arya's story is compelling all right, and she's a very strong character but I'm not sure I'd like to meet the person she's turning into...

Why would it be strange? One of the main reasons I like this series is because so far it seems more realistic than typical fantasy.

It's strange because all in all, it still is "fantasy" with dragons, magic, shadow babies from someone's vagina that kills a man. Being more realistic than let's say LOTR doesn't mean much. In fact besides the fact that GRRM has made sure there's no strictly "good guy" vs "bad guy" and happily ever afters, I wouldn't even say ASOIAF is that much realistic than most other fantasy series.

Archived