Who do you like more? Sansa or Arya?

The Imperator

It's strange because all in all, it still is "fantasy" with dragons, magic, shadow babies from someone's vagina that kills a man. Being more realistic than let's say LOTR doesn't mean much. In fact besides the fact that GRRM has made sure there's no strictly "good guy" vs "bad guy" and happily ever afters, I wouldn't even say ASOIAF is that much realistic than most other fantasy series.

Well it has a somewhat more realistic approach to warfare and it's effects on the general population and that counts for something in my book. Also what other choice do I have in picking a book to read(not that I read books very often but still), I dislike historical fiction because history is already known and altering it annoys me. So low fantasy it is, and the less magic the better.

i know man but it's just that i'm using it to compare MY INTEREST in the characters to my interest in the movies not the actual content of the movies (as in i had some fun with brave like i have some fun with arya but Mononoke is my feel good movie that i go to when i want something good just like sansa is )

No I understand, so when you want to feel good you watch a movie with a titular character who is just like Arya. :) and that's your favorite. But in the books you like Sansa because she is good? Except when she lied about Joff, ran to Cersei to tell her, her fathers plans, drugged Robin, helped LF one of the most evil characters in the books take over the Vale, and gave her new daddy who got her real daddy killed a big fat kiss. Prepare for the Dark Sansa saga, where she takes LF to her bed, murders a child, and find the hound so she can stab, stab, stab him.

In AGOT I liked Arya a lot more than Sansa, but starting with ACOK Sansa started becoming one of my favorites. I still love Arya, but Sansa is a step higher. Also, I'm more interested in her story line. I like the political aspect of ASOIAF very much, and Sansa is way closer to that than Arya.

I cannot really relate to Sansa, she is so different from me in her acceptance of social norms and values of her world. I pity her character like I would pity any mistreated child. But I look at her as the kind of girl I never was. This may though change if she ever decides to take her life into her own hands and does not rely anymore on others to get saved. But we do not know if this will ever happen. And she may pay for that leaning step, freedom and agency come at a price for women in that world.

While I am hugely interested in the character of Arya, not because I was "just like her" but because she has been created as having so many real life parallels. There are abused child soldiers all over the world, abandoned children who will have enormous difficulties to find back into a normal life. But what would be a normal life for Arya? An arranged marriage to whatever Lord? Is the favorite topic of these forums, shipping female characters sround, the right approach to the character of Arya or does she deserve a broader discussion?

I think it tells a lot about the two girl characters that Sansa is nearly exclusively discussed in her relstionship to whatever male character while Arya gets granted a life of her own by fandom - and by the author.

No I understand, so when you want to feel good you watch a movie with a titular character who is just like Arya. :) and that's your favorite. But in the books you like Sansa because she is good? Except when she lied about Joff, ran to Cersei to tell her, her fathers plans, drugged Robin, helped LF one of the most evil characters in the books take over the Vale, and gave her new daddy who got her real daddy killed a big fat kiss. Prepare for the Dark Sansa saga, where she takes LF to her bed, murders a child, and find the hound so she can stab, stab, stab him.

ok Mr condescending mind reader ,I'll not indulge you in your fantasies of being Sherlock .

huh. I counted the tally, and I think it's 22 to 19, Sansa over Arya (I included me-- I prefer the lemoncake, but both are favorites; I didn't count those who said "both"). I'm sure that tally is a bit skewed-- in the polls of all characters, Arya's always like 2 or 3 overall, which I guess means Sansa fans self-selected to answer this or something, lol.

But I noticed a really interesting trend in preference that's hard to ignore. There's a bunch of posts in favor of Arya with extremely negative feelings toward Sansa, and the reverse (preference for Sansa with hatred of Arya) doesn't seem to be present in the same way. A lot of posters do seem to like both equally or nearly equally, but there isn't "love Sansa + hate Arya" the way there's "love Arya, hate Sansa," and I guess that's rather interesting to me.

I've been re-reading the books, and honestly I feel like they're tied. They're so different but I adore them equally nonetheless. However, as of now I'm more invested in Sansa's storyline because I can see the Vale storyline getting really interesting in the next book whereas with Arya I have no clue what to expect.

Archived