Who do you like more? Sansa or Arya?

The Imperator

Jesus aren't you the worst sort of troll. You're coming off a lot like the Mean Princess you so often accuse Sansa of being.

You've attacked me twice now and I never attacked you. I don't really care about this. Move on.

I meant seeing shit that isn't there and making something out of nothing. It's not that serious.

You mean like what you do all the bloody time with Arya threads?

And how exactly did bumps prove your point? Yeesh...

I like Arya more obviously, but Sansa has a mystique about her when it comes to potential, so ive grown to like her again. I await her next adventures with bated breath. I cross my fingers and ask Odin, please have Sansa be the end of Littlefinger.

In AGOT it was definitely Arya because, like some readers, I found Sansa insufferable. From ACOK though I started to like Sansa and right now it's hard to choose who is my favorite. Both storylines interest me but Sansa is more at the center of the conflcit. I like the dark path Arya is taking but right now I'd say Sansa is more sympathetic, even though she is making questionable decisions. But I will go with Arya anyway for the reason that I never disliked her.

I love them both. First I liked Arya much better, although I never hated Sansa and I did find interesting things about her even early in AGOT. But she's a character I started liking more and more as the story progressed. Now I think I like Sansa more, but it's close and it may change again. I still find Arya incredibly interesting, though I don't relate to her that much in this part of the story as I did in ACOK, where I absolutely loved her storyline.

Sometimes I think they are like two very exaggerated and extreme versions of two parts of my personality. :)

I like them both a great deal with them both being in my top ten, I especially enjoy their great growth from their initial slightly annoying introduction in AGOT. However, I like Sansa a little bit more specifically as Arya suffers from her chapters in AFOC/ADWD in my opinion.

I prefer Sansa, Arya is very arrogant and a loudmouth.

Loudmouth, ill give you that one. I know, i was like that as a kid too. The Peanut Gallery. (my father's favorite pet name for me as a wee one...)

Arrogant? Nah. Arya does have a childlike arrogance at first. Its mostly because shes so damn gung-ho, she forgets shes just a little girl sometimes. By the time the Red Wedding rolls around, Arya has lost her childlike arrogance and becomes a much humbler person. The world is bigger than she is and even worse than her worst nightmares. As a result, Arya no longer thinks she's hot shit and can take on anyone.

Loudmouth, ill give you that one. I know, i was like that as a kid too. The Peanut Gallery. (my father's favorite pet name for me as a wee one...)

Arrogant? Nah. Arya does have a childlike arrogance at first. Its mostly because shes so damn gung-ho, she forgets shes just a little girl sometimes. By the time the Red Wedding rolls around, Arya has lost her childlike arrogance and becomes a much humbler person. The world is bigger than she is and even worse than her worst nightmares. As a result, Arya no longer thinks she's hot shit and can take on anyone.

Indeed she can be humbler than anyone!

Arya is my favourite over Sansa. I disagree with those who feel she's just some badass ninja in the making and unrealistic.

Aryas story is so often one of the child soldier and how they lose their innocence when faced with the terrors of war and death. That she faces it headfirst just means she gets a special little spot in my ASOIAF heart.

Sansas story is getting better and better though. Interesting how the 2 Stark sisters deal with their respective situations and slowly start to get a better grasp of it all.

Arya! Wolf-Blood all the way!

You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same [Wolf] blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you … (Ned, to Arya)

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)

Like a lot of posters mentioned, I also preferred Arya to Sansa in aGoT, though that divergence closed significantly in Sansa's last chapter there. From Clash onward, and especially "If I'm ever a queen, I'll make them love me," Sansa became the front-runner. The gap closed a bit more again when Arya got to Braavos; I actually really like her FM chapters, and they're some of my overall favorites of the series. But after finishing and rereads, I just have a stronger affinity for Sansa as a character overall.

You're proving my point. I already lost interest.

I'm sorry, but, your point is moot, if I understand it, you're very unclear on it to begin with.

You see, this is westeros.org, and not LiveJournal or Tumblr, and on here the Sansa haters are vocal and as persistent as the plague. Arya haters are thankfully absent.

Up to now I wasn't even aware there *was* a ASOIAF community on LiveJournal and Tumblr worth caring about, let alone that they unfairly diminish Arya in favor of Sansa.

Personally I find either camp unpalatable and prefer the company of people who can, at the very least, appreciate the qualities of both sisters.

Arya and it isn't that close though I like Sansa alot.

I think it diminishes GRRM's writing to just reduce his characters to cliches. The kickass tomboy I think fits Arya of Winterfell but that was several books ago. Then he starts to play with the child soldier aspect so it becomes less "fun" and "cutesy" and something dark and very real on a psychological level. There is character development there along with the action.GRRM is not so poor a writer that he sticks just to tropes and is unable to develop a character like Arya.

This. I'm blown away by people who call Arya a cliche as that couldn't be farther from the truth. Arya isn't a cliched tomboy especially after her experiences in ACOK and ASOS. While I still find Arya's chapters really fun to read it isn't in a "Oh joy adventure" way it's in a "wow I'm watching this character change into something very dark and very interesting". Through Arya's POV we've seen the horror of war and it's effect on the smallfolk as well as on a very sweet, innocent child. When I see people say that Arya is cliched or boring I wonder if people are paying attention to her story arc.

That said I think the same thing when people just dismiss Sansa as a dumb, naive, little girl. Sure she was like that in AGOT but people are completely ignoring her development if that's how they still see Sansa.

I find the "realism" points strange considering the genre of the book you're reading to begin with and other stuff that's already taken place.

This again. The end game of the whole series is a confrontation with the ice creatures and their zombie army. Every Stark is a warg and can skin change, Dany has dragons, etc. It's not like Arya has been able to survive all on her own, she's been lucky to have the help of some very capable people.

I'm sorry, I'm not following. Can you please clarify what point you were trying to make in the first place and how exactly bumps proved it?

I think the point was that most of the "Love Sansa, Hate Arya" people seem to be over on live journal or tumblr. This whole discussion was blown out of proportion and it seems like shit like this happens all the time on Arya/Sansa threads.

Honestly I didn't realize they were such divisive characters.

Archived