GOODKIND V

Werthead

I have never discussed anything whatsoever with Terry Goodkind. I suggest that you check the publication dates of his books and mine. Of course, he says he has never read me, or so I’m told, and I would never contradict a statement like that. Just check out the pub dates on his books, and the pub dates on mine, those that contain the similarities you speak of.

Translation: I can't actually say Goodkind copied me for legal reasons. ;)

Jordan has, in all honesty, said that he did borrow from the start of LotR for the opening of his first book, so I think he'd be on shaky ground, morally, for accusing another author of stealing from him. Also, they have the same publisher, which I imagine plays a role in suppressing any legal problems between their writers.

Still, when I was reading Goodkind I gave up in the second book after reading about the 'Sisters of Light' (Aes Sedai) opposed to the shadowy 'Sisters of Dark' (Black Ajah) with the plot revolving around the 'Stone of Tears' (Stone of Tear)... :o

Reminds me of the time Terry Pratchett was asked if his 1987 novel Equal Rites was influenced by JK Rowling's 1997 novel Harry Potter and tThe Philosopher's Stone. Pratchett's response was somewhat 'robust', IIRC. :D

Could you give me a link to that? I'd love to read it, but I found nothing on google... I'm probably using the wrong keywords, though

Still, when I was reading Goodkind I gave up in the second book after reading about the 'Sisters of Light' (Aes Sedai) opposed to the shadowy 'Sisters of Dark' (Black Ajah) with the plot revolving around the 'Stone of Tears' (Stone of Tear)... shocked.gif

You are obviously too young to read Terry Goodkind's work about the nobility of the goat.

You are obviously too young to read Terry Goodkind's work about the nobility of the goat.

Ah yes, we once again return to the matter of how truly noble goats are. Is there a QotD somewhere which displays this, other than the one with X laughed, Y laughed, they all laughed? Or perhaps it something that's more generally implied throughout the series?

Reminds me of the time Terry Pratchett was asked if his 1987 novel Equal Rites was influenced by JK Rowling's 1997 novel Harry Potter and tThe Philosopher's Stone. Pratchett's response was somewhat 'robust', IIRC. :D

I just love your use of the word "robust" in this instance. I wish I could find the transcript of this conversation. I'm sure it was very entertaining.

I think that Jordan's response to the question about similarities between his and TG's work is well described by the word "acerbic", perhaps?

I don't know, I'd rather see the actual quote about Richard ripping his brother's spinal cord out, and then the guy actually gettting back on his feet for another go... that sounds awesome!

I don't know, I'd rather see the actual quote about Richard ripping his brother's spinal cord out, and then the guy actually gettting back on his feet for another go... that sounds awesome!

Okay, normally I wouldn't do the Quote of the Day on a Sunday, I need my rest, but here goes.

The rage in Drefan's eyes was nothing to match the rage thundering into Richard's heart.

"Drop the sword, drefan, now. Or I will kill you."

Drefan swept the sword around. "How? With your bare hands?"

Richard vividly remembered what Zedd had told him when first giving him the Sword of Truth: the sword was only a tool: the Seeker was the weapon. a true seeker didn't need the sword.

Richard started forward. "And with hate in my heart."

"I will enjoy killing you, at last, Richard. even if you don't have a weapon."

"I am the weapon."

Richard was running. The distance between them shrank at an alarming rate. Kahlan screamed for him to get away. He hardly heard her. Richard was committed. <to an asylum for the cheesy>

Drefan lifted the sword overhead, pulling a breath in preparation to cleave Richard.

That was the opening. Richard knew that a thrust was faster than a cut.

He was in the iron grip of deadly determination.

Richard was lost in the dance with death.

Drefan bellowed in rage as the sword started down.

Richard dropped to his left knee, through the opening, using his forward momentum and a twist of his torso to add force to his strike. Fingers straight and stiff, he drove his arm ahead with all his might.

Before the sword could touch him, Richard struck like lightning, driving his hand through Drefan's soft middle. In the blink of an eye, he had seized Drefan's spinal column and yanked it back out, ripping it apart.

Drefan pitched backward, crashing against the sliph's well, slumping down in a spreading, crimson flood.

<blah blah blah, three full pages of Richard and Kahlan talking about how much they love each other>

Drefan, leaning up against the well of the sliph where he had fallen, somehow still hanging to a thread of life, was holding up the sword. Richard was lying right there, on the floor, within reach. Drefan was going to kill him.

"No!" Kahlan screamed.

But the sword was alrady sweeping down. Faint, maniacal laughter drifted on the air.

Kahlan threw her fist up, calling the blue lightning to protect Richard. It didn't come. She was blocked from her power. <the winds did that earlier>

Cara was already diving toward Drefan, but she was too far away. She wasn't going to make it. The sword was halfway there.

A silver arm swept down and seized Drefan' arm, holding it tight. Kahlan held her breath.

Another liquid silver arm enveloped Drefan's head. "Breathe," the sliph cooed, a voice promising the sating of bestial lust, a voice promisng rapture. "I wish you to please me. Breathe."

Drefan's chest rose as he inhaled the sliph.

He went still, holding the sliph in his lungs. The sliph freed him, and he slumped to the side. His breath left him, releasing the sliph he had inhaled.

It drained from his mouth and nose, not silver, but red.

~Terry Goodkind, Temple of the Winds

So thinking about this was making me think of Mortal Kombat once again, and conjuring up images Sub Zero's death move. Wasn't it him? Now I can't remember anymore...

Anyway, this was then making me think that trying to read this stuff out loud would be really difficult. Well, it would be difficult to do with a straight face in any case. Which reminded me of The Eye of Argon, and the fact that there were competitions of people trying to read it out loud without bursting out laughing. So here's what I was thinking. TG must do readings of his books, right? Did he ever read the chicken that is not a chicken passage out loud somewhere? That would have been amazing to hear, I'm sure.

Jordan has, in all honesty, said that he did borrow from the start of LotR for the opening of his first book, so I think he'd be on shaky ground, morally, for accusing another author of stealing from him. Also, they have the same publisher, which I imagine plays a role in suppressing any legal problems between their writers.

Still, when I was reading Goodkind I gave up in the second book after reading about the 'Sisters of Light' (Aes Sedai) opposed to the shadowy 'Sisters of Dark' (Black Ajah) with the plot revolving around the 'Stone of Tears' (Stone of Tear)... :o

:rofl: God forbid that Goodkind should use his own experiences from School as a youth when writing his Novels. If anyone, and I'm thinking that perhaps at least one of you lot has been in or seen a catholic school system. The Nuns are the perfict example of the sistwerps of the light/dark... All one has to do is to spend time watching these women to see the significance of what Goodkind writes. Early on Goodkind stated in an interview that he used his experiences and even uses a couple of specific Nuns as the basis for these characters. But then we could also say Jordan (I'll forgo the genuflection here if you please), stole his Assedi....( I've never read much of the WOT series, my mind isn't geared for reading mindless, go nowhere plot less crap) from Herbert and his Bene Gesserit sisterhood, as well/ or from the same place Goodkind did.....Catholic Nuns. It is simple reasoned logic that any cult or sect for that matter will fit the bill....meh... The simple truth of the issue is this. You can find similarities or problems with anything you want to. You can sit and pick apart anything...no matter who or what it is. But yeah, anyone can find any specific section in any specific book to which to point a finger and scream....copy-cat... So for all your posting, arguing and blustering, all you do is to prove how pointless your points are and how little you actually know. For in truth, in the end, the only people who know for sure have given their answers and that’s that. Endless speculation is simply a waste and God knows you al have done enough of it here....

One or tow people mention "taking the air outta Goodkind, let me offer up some sage advice. You do not have to believe it; you can ignore it and or toss it aside. Just know that in no way makes it less of the truth or any way less fact. Goodkind doesn't read the Internet. Goodkind doesn't read this crap. No one reads this crap TO Goodkind and Goodkind refuses to waste time on such nonsense. So unfortunately, you cannot take the Mickey out of someone who doesn't see or is unaware of what you are blustering about. BUT, puhlease keep it up. For all the time you so ardently and mindless waste here et al, is less time you'll be in the real world screwing it up!

Oh, One thing that stymies me....and keeps me laughing my ass off is Jordan and his lack of... Ok' I'll forgo the insults for this post...

By the by, I’ve seen a lot of comment, apparently from men, that my female characters are unrealistic. That’s because women are, for the most part, consummate actresses who allow men to see exactly what they intend men to see. Get behind the veil sometimes, boys, and your hair will turn white. I’ve been there, and mine went white and didn’t stop there; a great deal of it actually turned dark again, the shock to my system was so great. Believe me, I mild it down so as not to scare any males into mental breakdowns.

So, ...he...what, had a female brain implanted into his skull, which would explain a great deal!,.....had a sex-change operation, which also explains more than I care to think about,...spoke to a few females and so...thinks he has figured out the female mind... pUhlease! Sorry Mr. Rigney you are obviously as in the dark as you are incapable of portraying a rational and even normal female

Ok, I am completely serious in the following statements.

Mystar, I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say here.

I can sort of make some vague attempt at trying to interpret what you're saying, but I can't find any actual point to what you're saying, which is why I'm left feeling sort of confused.

However, I will point out to you that this is a GRRM forum, not a WOT forum, and that GRRM readers do not, as a whole, worship GRRM, let alone Robert Jordan. So there is most assuredly no need to genuflect. I think that TG (Blessed Be His name) is the only author treated with that sort of reverence by his devotees.

Oops, that last sentence wasn't quite serious.

Could you give me a link to that? I'd love to read it, but I found nothing on google... I'm probably using the wrong keywords, though

It was on a Radio 2 interview with Jeremy Vine a year or two ago. Pratchett's 'robust defence' was to simply point out the publishing date difference in an appropriately withering tone.

(I've never read much of the WOT series, my mind isn't geared for reading mindless, go nowhere plot less crap)

Yet you say you have read Goodkind :huh:

So, ...he...what, had a female brain implanted into his skull, which would explain a great deal!,.....had a sex-change operation, which also explains more than I care to think about,...spoke to a few females and so...thinks he has figured out the female mind... pUhlease! Sorry Mr. Rigney you are obviously as in the dark as you are incapable of portraying a rational and even normal female

For once, I think the overwhelming majority of posters here may agree with you. Of course your post implies that Goodkind does a better job, which is comical. Jordan does have a couple of his female characters (evil, mind you) raped in the later books when they insufficiently serve the cause of evil, which I'm sure Goodkind would approve of.

Wow - I agree with Mystar. I didn't ever expect that. That quote of Jordan's on female characters is hilarious. I would say there's a difference between plagiarism and influence though - and some authors cross that line, but not all.

One or tow people mention "taking the air outta Goodkind, let me offer up some sage advice. You do not have to believe it; you can ignore it and or toss it aside. Just know that in no way makes it less of the truth or any way less fact. Goodkind doesn't read the Internet.

::shrugs::

I don't care one bit whether or not TG browses the net (although, truth be told, the Net could be a great source of information or background for his Holy Objectivist Works, such as the knowledge that it is impossible to have your spinal cord ripped out and still able to stand).

Goodkind doesn't read this crap. No one reads this crap TO Goodkind and Goodkind refuses to waste time on such nonsense.

Again, so what? Although I suspect you do talk with each other about all the negative feedback concerning his books. But why would I care whether TG reads this forum or not?

So unfortunately, you cannot take the Mickey out of someone who doesn't see or is unaware of what you are blustering about.

Why can't we? We're doing it right now. You would be right if we wanted a reaction from Terry Goodkind. But we don't.

BUT, puhlease keep it up. For all the time you so ardently and mindless waste here et al, is less time you'll be in the real world screwing it up!

You claim that we don't have anything better to do with our time than posting here, that this is the only thing we do all day long. A "statement" you've made before. It's simply an insult, and a weak one at that. You really need to try something new, because this just doesn't work...

I don't care one bit whether or not TG browses the net (although, truth be told, the Net could be a great source of information or background for his Holy Objectivist Works, such as the knowledge that it is impossible to have your spinal cord ripped out and still able to stand).

Yeah, the lack of paralysis there kinda bothered me too. Not to mention, you know, the horribly excruciating pain of not having a midsection any more.

Based on that last quote of the day I would have to say that Goodkind's knowledge of what is and is not possible with regards to human physiology appears somewhat lacking. And writing like this;

"I am the weapon."

and

He was in the iron grip of deadly determination.

Richard was lost in the dance with death.

Is some of the worst I have ever seen.

MM :o

you have succeeded in almost driving me to the point of buying some goodkind books, because I flat-out

do not believe that this bullshit you keep posting is real.

now, I just need to find a way to buy a book or two without actually having to give any money to goodkind.

are there back-alley book-dealers the way there are shady non-governmental arms dealers?

oh, and Mystar you rawk. way to pwn us all, you pwning pwner that pwns!

Ebay, or any second-hand bookstore should be able to help you out.

My local second-hand bookstore once had the first five Goodkind books in a row on the shelf. Very odd to see that. Jordan or Pratchett books you see in second-hand bookstores tend to be all over the place (four copies of #3, one copy of #5, two copies of #9 etc), but Goodkind was a set. Very odd.

Richard dropped to his left knee, through the opening, using his forward momentum and a twist of his torso to add force to his strike. Fingers straight and stiff, he drove his arm ahead with all his might.

Before the sword could touch him, Richard struck like lightning, driving his hand through Drefan's soft middle. In the blink of an eye, he had seized Drefan's spinal column and yanded it back out, ripping it apart.

Holy fucking shit. That cannot be real. But I can't think of why Mad Moose would create of that passage either. I can't think of anyone past the age of 12 would think that that passage is cool or even realistic.

I'd add more about how lame that passage is but I have to do some homework.

Oh, Mystar thanks for insulting all Catholics, shows your real colors

Archived