GOODKIND V

Werthead

Does the arrival of Phantom mean we'll be allowed to have GOODKIND VI, The Phantom Menacing ? With a new book out I'd hate for this to be the last GK thread.

I'm back and forth on this. But the main problem is that in the last thread some people did some things that led to Westeros.org itself getting complained about (rather than people on it) to a seperate organisation. Thus, I'm inclined to divorce the GK thread from the Westeros site, such as by creating a dedicated forum to it on a public server (the same as Werewolf.v2 did for GioG), and just referring discussions there.

Of course, in-depth discussion of a new fantasy novel (oh yeah, fantasy novel people!) taken in isolation is a valid use of the Westeros Literature forum, which is a different matter altogether.

Here's the thing. I think Tarry read Dune up to the point where Jessica is trying to seduce her Harkonen guards, but then stops reading right before she kills them. Thus, he thinks all women are filthy sluts who throw themselves at the nearest man.

Or something :sick:

Have to say that I feel a seperate forum would be wise - the only problem would be the inevitable trolling it would receive upon opening.

I've just ploughed through the thread on Malazan - these guys are great, much kudos to all their stallwart work/sarcasm/wit.

:cheers:

The secret is Irish whiskey. Lots of it. Actually, most of the time, I'm completely sober when I dig this stuff up. It's not too tough typing it out, cuz I don't need to read for content and I type pretty fast. Its finding the passage, which requires actually reading the crap, and then editing it, which requires reading it again, which can be difficult. Usually I just find Terry hilarious, so its not really punishment.

ETA: Oh yes, I have to read Phantom, partly because I hate to stop reading a series, even this one.

I can understand that you feel the need to finish the series. However, looking at this from my position, do you feel that I should read the books to be able to appreciate just how bad they are? Or is that not necessary? Maybe I can just read Ayn Rand and know that his sentiments are the same, only not expressed nearly as well? I'm not even convinced I want to read her books, to be honest... my fiancee said she wasn't too crazy about the female protagonist in the Fountainhead who gets raped by the male protagonist and loves it... :unsure:

“I knew it,†he breathed. “I knew it. I knew you would finally give in to your filthy perversion.â€

Why I do I imagine TG when I read this passage....? This sounds like one badly-written BDSM novella.

Once again, emoticons fail me. But I'll give it a :sick: :sick: :sick: out of 5.

Can you actually rip the spinal column through the stomach? wouldn't there be lungs, ribs and other organs and bones barring your way?

I don't think the hand is actually sharp enough to punch through the the skin like that. Richard's thing is a mighty thing indeed.

Wait...does the entire spinal column come out of the stomach? What about the pelvis and ribs? The skull? On the other hand, I seem to remember that this was a fatality move in Mortal Kombat, so clearly, its possible. Clearly.

I don't think the hand is actually sharp enough to punch through the the skin like that. Richard's thing is a mighty thing indeed.

Wait...does the entire spinal column come out of the stomach? What about the pelvis and ribs? The skull? On the other hand, I seem to remember that this was a fatality move in Mortal Kombat, so clearly, its possible. Clearly.

It's gotta be kinda like the "fatality" hit in the original Mortal Kombat I'd think...maybe that's where the inspiration came from?

unfortunately, then you'd just get congealed subjectivist ichor all over your raping-hand.

some words of wisdom for all of us.

choice excerpts:

We have raised a generation of feral children and in so doing have abdicated our society's link to civilization. Gangs now have control of many parts of our cities and towns and rule them as feudal empires

The Sword of Truth is a cry of defiance into the descending storm of tyranny.

Sooner or later an enemy will come, as they always do, and they will be ruthless. They will hold a blade to our throats. They will pillage and murder and rape us because we have failed to value the hard won gift of freedom and to honor our responsibility to preserve the flame of its true meaning.

As Richard says, anarchy wears the robes of tolerance and understanding.

It's gotta be kinda like the "fatality" hit in the original Mortal Kombat I'd think...maybe that's where the inspiration came from?

But that ripped out the whole spine, didn't it? In that case, I think the guy should have collapsed in a bloody heap. That's what happened in the game, in any case. Well, as far as I can remember. It was quite some years ago that I actually played it, admittedly.

I'm waiting for the person with the Flash animation skills to do a version of that Fatality, with Goodkind's head superimposed over the MK character.

“Just like your mother.†He froze at her words. “I need you like your whore of a mother needed your father.â€

His expression darkened. Like a provoked bull, he turned toward her, his piercing eyes riveted on her. “What do you mean?â€

Yo got it all wrong. Kahlan called his mother a whore to provoke him to headbut her. The perfect opportunity to use a magic powder on him (Or redcard him - whatever works)

She had his attention then, didn't she? Couldn't she just have thrown the magic cayenne pepper in his face at that point? Or did it require him to be sexually aroused in order to work?

Shocking! In the interview linked to above, Goodkind's interviewer (his editor, isn't it?) says, "How does it feel to be the author of four epic fantasies rather than one?" :o And Goodkind doesn't correct him!

Archived