GOODKIND V

Werthead

What I see from these individuals who launch these attacks against Terry, his books, his fans are individuals who have an aversion to justice. They want to be allowed to do anything they want to --irregardless of who gets hurt-- without penalty or being called to pay for any damage they bring about.

Remind me again: exactly who gets hurt by making fun of the most awful writing comitted to paper?

TOO MUCH STUPID MAKE MORGO'S BRAIN HURT.

What you miss, and you miss at whole in this entire internet feasco is this: Aggressors deserve no mercy. The ones who start violence, who start merciless attacks, who allow merciless attacks to begin, are guilty of treason against innocent individuals and have earned merciless retaliation. Any person who begins a campaign of violence (verbal, written or physical) has branded themselves undeserving of consideration. What they deserve is justice brought down against them in full force.

besides the irony here, of being merciless to punish mercilessness, there a more disturbing trend: someone has deputized these people, or at least led them to believe they're somehow now equipped to dole out justice wit a capital J. did Mystar get some kind of costume-store discount on Lone Ranger badges, or something?

What I see from these individuals who launch these attacks against Terry, his books, his fans are individuals who have an aversion to justice. They want to be allowed to do anything they want to --irregardless of who gets hurt-- without penalty or being called to pay for any damage they bring about. When someone, like mystar, calls them on it, they react like a gang of criminals trying to evade justice. When they see how few individuals come calling with justice, they retaliate like said gang of criminals would derride the police officers before murdering them. Such gangs are not tolerated by moral individuals.

irregardless of the source of this nonsense, he sees two things about us, or at least about me, very clearly: I do want the ability to do whatever I want, and I'm not fond of the law.

what do I want to be able to do? read books and not have them suck. the best way to go about this, short of dispensing JUSTICE against authors who are teh suck? make their suckiness known in a public forum (literally) so others will avoid these books. if these books are not bought, they will not form the industry standard, and publishing wonks will have no impetus to tolerate mediocrity in their literary fiefdoms.

incidentally, I finally read TG's wiki.

I keep saying it, but I have to: are these dudes for real?

shit. I gotta start spending more time at GioG. We're rapists and cop-killers? I don't even have a cock!

Same here. And not only that I don't have a cock, the issue of sexual harrasment and rape is something that strikes quite close to home for me, as I have close friends who have been victims of it.

This is what disturbs me most about some TG fans, they're not just obsessed, they're possessed. :sick:

This is what disturbs me most about some TG fans, they're not just obsessed, they're possessed. :sick:

So I forgot the link to GioG and I went and Googled it...got over into the Chronicles Network (actually ran into a thread you linked here once, I think, Wert) and I read this fascinating diatribe/debate Yar/Mystar was attempting to make and it suddenyl struck me! He defends/debates Goodkind much the same way Os would defend/debate Goodkind! Everyone is welcome to an opinion, but said opinion is baseless because it doesn't contain fact...etc. etc...

But that might be a slight to Os. Os had so much else going for him...ah well...

And hey, found this from GKII: For he is of the Night!:

From One Boarders Response: "Most of those aforementioned zealots hang out at the official site, Prophets Inc, which, oddly enough, is why most of us here stay away from there."

The Statement:

Quote:

Instead, I believe that I'm right, but accept the possibility that I'm not. I do not proclaim all those whose opinions differ from mine to be morons and lunatics who just don't understand my views. It anoys me that they do not see my point of view, and the perceieved validity of my own arguments, but I do not consider them dumb and ignorant because their opinions differ from mine.

The Response: "We don't consider anyone to be dumb, or ignorant, because their opinions differ, we consider them to be dumb and ignorant because *of* their particular opinions, which are usually dumb and ignorant ones."

The Statement:

Quote:

My experience from other forums dedicated to books and fantasy is that the people who consider themselves fans of Goodkind usualy are the least tolerant of other people's opinions about politics and also about literature. One can seldom make a critical comment about SoT or objectivism without someone trolling about how dumb you are and how narrow your view is.

The Respose: Those are just the zealots from PI. We apologize for their existence among fans of Terry.

What have we learned here? Even creepy TG fans can't stand other TG fans...

Who is the gar going under the name of "Fanatic-Templar" at GIoG? Is the person serious?

I think he is. He must feel like it's him against the world over there. Quite entertaining. He's really on our side, I guess he just needs to be hipped to the concept of satire. And irony. And sarcasm.

I think he is. He must feel like it's him against the world over there. Quite entertaining. He's really on our side, I guess he just needs to be hipped to the concept of satire. And irony. And sarcasm.

:lol: True. Our worship of "Tary" (although that beloved spelling was banned :() isn't exactly subtle.

Since, IIRC, he has posted here once, I believe that he does actually know that it's a joke. Unless he's really thick, which would be ironic.

Actually, if you do a search on "fanatic-templar", you'll see that he posted in every Goodkind thread since the II :P

But you guys need a foil in GioG, to really use all the goodkind worship potential.

I don't care how many people (or who they are) I have to hurt or kill to protect myself or my family, but do so I will.

I'm shocked. I know that Goodkind fans can be extreme, unreasonable and often simply objectionable, but I didn't expect this (in response to Princess Violet scene).

I will also admit, I am glad for the torture scene. If somone raped my wife or killed my child, I will most assuredly take the law into my own hands and cause suffering in return.

From the same member as the above. I'm very glad I don't live near these people.

To quote Hal Duncan: "it's the glory of war that makes it truly fucking horrific. " - that applies very well to Goodkind. The terrygoodkind.net thread spent a lot of time trying to work out why there was such hatred for Goodkind. It's because not just is Goodkind a terrible author with a vile philosophy and an arrogant, insulting approach to his fans, or even that the content of his books is horrible. It's that his characters, his fans, himself all revel in this horror, they glorify it. Hal Duncan again: "Person X bashing out person Y's brains is horrific. But person X bashing out person Y's brains and exulting in it... now, that's truly fucking horrific."

What have we learned here? Even creepy TG fans can't stand other TG fans...

They're like magnets! They repel each other. :lol:

My friends and I once thought of classification for a certain 'block' of anime/manga fans and I wonder if it could apply to certain TG fans:

1. The Rabid Fan: Bought every book, has read them from front to back, and can quote accurately certain passages. May or may not have done 'research' on objectivism and Ayn Rand. Has a number of collectible items. have joined forums about TG

2. The Obssessed Fan: Same as Rabid, only more. Can quote whole chapters. Have done research on Ayn Rand and Objectivism, may have seriously thought of joining the Objectivist movement (is this the right term?). Scours the internet for TG-related stuff, like interviews etc. Is thinking of growing a yeard.

3. The Possessed Fan: Has all the characteristics of the obsessed and rabid fan. Eats, lives, and breathes Goodkind. Has grown a yeard. A persistent poster not only in TG boards/forums, but also other forums, all the while defending TG and his works. Kicks little girls in the face when annoyed with them.

:rolleyes:

I feel evil....

As I see it, this behavior comes loosely from TG's objectionism. It states that you have to stand for yourself, live for yourself and that what you perceive is the objective world, the same for everyone.

From there it stands to reason that vigilante justice is not only tolerable, but desirable, since you cannot depend on anything beside yourself, and since you are always right, good and evil being objective values, with you on the side of good. Any opposition to you is evil, and evil must be destroyed. The methods you use don't matter, since the only thing that makes someone objectivly evil is the opposition to freedom and moral clarity.

Anyway, it's all really simple, if someone gets in your way, your right to objective freedom demands that you destroy him, and it's morally clear to do it.

@Jaxom 1974 - Hey, wasn't that my atempt to have a rational discussion with the Goodkinder's over at .net some time back?

And for whomever asked, Truth is a regular over at malazanempire.com, his nick there is Zadok I think.. Will have to check up on that.

Whelp is also a malazan, though his nick is the same on both forums

[mod] I would like to remind people of a relevant section of our FAQ:

Q. You have links to other boards (including one with chat) on your board. Are you endorsing them? And if I have a problem with the people who visit them, or get banned, can I post about it here?

A. No and ABSOLUTELY NO. The other forums are linked to as a courtesy to new users, who may want to know about other fan forums. Further more, if you have a problem with those forums, their users, and/or the people who run them and the rules they set, post about them in those forums. Similarly, if you have a personal beef against a user of this or any other forum, deal with them directly, post to your blog/LiveJournal/MySpace, whatever, so long as this forum is not used to air out your dirty laundry.

We don't like it when other boards are used to gripe about this one (or worse), and accordingly we don't like it when this board is used in the same way. We don't want to create a (false) perception that this board is 'attacking' another board, for example. We also do not encourage 'trolling' other boards: not that I'm saying this is what is going on, but bear it in mind.

If you have views about the Goodkind board, please express them there. [/mod]

Baeraad: Given how much killing Richard does, the constant pursuit of "Life" as you describe seems a bad fit.

See point VIII and IX. Killing people who either stands in the way of your Life-pursuing, or who interferes with Life-pursuing in general, is apparently an integral part of Life.

I still can't quite figure this out. The impression I'm getting is that a big part of objectivism is to avoid being a victim by destroying anything that even looks like it might at some point victimise you. "Die! Die! You're not going to mess with my Life! No one is going to mess with my Life! I'll kill anyone who tries!"

I mean, I can get not wanting to be a victim. But to drive it to the point where nothing is more important than not even having to accept the slightest risk that you'll be one?

I'm starting to feel sorry for Ayn Rand. What the hell happened to her that fucked her up this much? Okay, she grew up in Soviet and all, but not everyone who lived under communism turned out this way, I'm fairly sure.

See point VIII and IX. Killing people who either stands in the way of your Life-pursuing, or who interferes with Life-pursuing in general, is apparently an integral part of Life.

I still can't quite figure this out. The impression I'm getting is that a big part of objectivism is to avoid being a victim by destroying anything that even looks like it might at some point victimise you. "Die! Die! You're not going to mess with my Life! No one is going to mess with my Life! I'll kill anyone who tries!"

I mean, I can get not wanting to be a victim. But to drive it to the point where nothing is more important than not even having to accept the slightest risk that you'll be one?

I'm starting to feel sorry for Ayn Rand. What the hell happened to her that fucked her up this much? Okay, she grew up in Soviet and all, but not everyone who lived under communism turned out this way, I'm fairly sure.

What's interesting is the idea of vigilante justice and revenge the objectivists believe in as well. Say you have a situation where Man 1 kills Man 2. Man 2's son grows up and takes righteous revenge and kills Man 1. Is Man 1's son then entitled to righteous vengence against Man 2's son, who was only taking righteous vengence himself? How does this get resolved?

What's interesting is the idea of vigilante justice and revenge the objectivists believe in as well. Say you have a situation where Man 1 kills Man 2. Man 2's son grows up and takes righteous revenge and kills Man 1. Is Man 1's son then entitled to righteous vengence against Man 2's son, who was only taking righteous vengence himself? How does this get resolved?

I can hear Elton John's "Circle of life" playing in the background.

Archived