(spoilers)This is what I was made for!

What Would Victarion Do

On my most recent read through I realized that every so often a character will be in the midst of battle and they realize "This is what I was made for." The three people that come to mind when this happens are Ser Barristan, Jamie Lannister (when he had both hands), and Victarion Greyjoy when he goes to work on the crew of Ser Talbert Serry. GRRM always has the character think something like "I was not made for speaking at king's moots, this is what I was made for!"

I find it interesting that he chooses 3 people that could all be argued as the greatest fighters of westeros (possibly the world). I think GRRM has a lot more in store for these three as far as battle goes, I consider it to be more foreshadowing. It brings to mind the most obvious foreshadowing in the books which was in one of the first chapters when Ned and the boys find the Direwolf with a Stag antler sticking through it. Shortly after as we know the Stag (Robert) shows up to take the Direwolf (Ned) south and everything goes badly from there.

Do you think he did this on purpose, to foreshadow great battles each will be in where everything hinges on their strength? OR is this just something GRRM likes to write to let us know that each of these men were born for only one thing: BATTLE.

Archived