Sochi Olympics open thread

WeirwoodTreeHugger

The Olympics are almost a month away, but trials and team selections are occurring around now so there's already plenty to talk about.

This is a thread to talk about any Olympics related topic. Any sport, athlete or country is on the table as well as any political issues surrounding the games.

I'm going to start by talking about the selection for the U.S. women's figure skating team. There were three spots up for grabs. At the national championships last night, favorite Ashley Wagner fell twice and got fourth place. The selection committee decided to give her a place on the team anyway. Third place finisher Mirai Nagasu is out. Nagasu sent a letter appealing the decision, but it likely won't come to anything.

Was this decision fair?

The rationale for giving Wagner a spot is that she has had a lot of international success the past few years. Nagasu hasn't been a factor since her fourth place finish in the 2010 Olympics. Also, it was Wagner's performance at the last World Championships that secured the US three spots. That rationale does make a lot of sense and I wasn't at all surprised they went this way.

On the other hand, didn't Nagasu earn her spot by finishing in the top three at the US Championships? Also, it's not like Wagner had the flu or was getting over an injury. Her subpar (by her standards) performance was mental. If the pressure was too much to finish in the top three at what is functionally the Olympic trials, what reason do we have to think she can handle the pressure at the Olympics and bring home a medal?

I definitely have mixed feelings about this and feel really badly for Mirai Nagasu. Anyone else have thoughts? Has something similar happened in the selection of different country's team or in a different sport this year?

If they want consistency why didn't they decide to award points for finishes at other skating events over the year and pick the top 3 from that ?

If the system is the top 3 from an event near the Olympics, then things like this will inevitably happen ?

On a side note, if the selection committee really wanted Wagner, they could have just awarded her more points when judging her.

I'm going to start by talking about the selection for the U.S. women's figure skating team. There were three spots up for grabs. At the national championships last night, favorite Ashley Wagner fell twice and got fourth place. The selection committee decided to give her a place on the team anyway. Third place finisher Mirai Nagasu is out. Nagasu sent a letter appealing the decision, but it likely won't come to anything.

Was this decision fair?

it definitely was not fair.

you have a set of rules you define beforehand and play by them.

you can not change them during play and that's exactly what the selection committee did in this case.

i have absolutely no knowledge about figure skating in general, let alone u.s.a. women national team, so i can't really say if this decision will result in u.s.a. team's better chances of a medal (which is exactly the point of the trials) but the decision to give someone preferential treatment is definitely not fair.

baxus, on 13 Jan 2014 - 02:17 AM, said:

it definitely was not fair.

you have a set of rules you define beforehand and play by them.

you can not change them during play and that's exactly what the selection committee did in this case.

i have absolutely no knowledge about figure skating in general, let alone u.s.a. women national team, so i can't really say if this decision will result in u.s.a. team's better chances of a medal (which is exactly the point of the trials) but the decision to give someone preferential treatment is definitely not fair.

I probably worded the OP poorly. The championships, don't by themselves award spots on the team. They traditionally award spots based on who places highest. Technically though, the selection committee can pick whoever they want.

I probably worded the OP poorly. The championships, don't by themselves award spots on the team. They traditionally award spots based on who places highest. Technically though, the selection committee can pick whoever they want.

Right

But the election doesn't decide who is prime minister. They (the Queen/VR) traditionally pick the party leader with the most seats.

Technically the Queen (or her Viceroy/Vicereine) can pick whomever they want to be the Prime Minister.

Can you imagine the outrage if the Queen (or her VR) picked someone else ?

I'll be boycotting them in response to Putin and Russia's treatment of LGBT people. Admittedly it's no loss for them, I barely watch the Olympics anyway. But I do generally like to watch some of the Volleyball. Conveniently for me, nobody I especially want to see is in it this year.

I rarely watch either summer or winter Olympic events, but when I do any German athletes competing in the event I've chosen to watch underperform dramatically*, so clearly it's both a patriotic duty and a moral statement against Russia's discriminatory laws to not follow this on TV at all this year.

*It's also possible that said athletes' chances to win are dramatically overstated by lousy sports reporters beforehand, but I like to believe that I have magic powers I have not yet fully mastered.

@Baelor Swyft:

so, you basically wouldn't watch it anyway, but are now not watching it "for the cause"? :lol:

:rolleyes: Erm, no. If you read my post you know I'd be watching a little bit of it. Why be a jerk about it? It's not like I wasn't upfront regarding my level of interest.

:rolleyes: Erm, no. If you read my post you know I'd be watching a little bit of it. Why be a jerk about it? It's not like I wasn't upfront regarding my level of interest.

You said you like to watch the volleyball. That's not played during the winter games.

Yet again the story is about a distraction issue I'm all for LGTQ rights of course but why aren't people on CNN or MSNBC every five minutes investigating the rampent cornyism in regards to any number of issues. Oh right I forgot the so called "liberal" media is a pack of dickless wonders. At least to the credit of the board no one has come to the thread yet appulading Mr. Putin for standing up for traditional values

This has the makings of a good Tom Clancy novel

Sports

Corruption

Russia

Damn can't wait for the movie

i didn't mean to be a jerk about it and i'm sorry if you were offended or anything.

it was just a summary (not 100% correct, for (barely) comedic purposes ;)) of your post.

as far as russian laws regarding LGBT are concerned, i find them as despicable as any other discriminating law in human history (not recognizing women's right to vote, apartheid etc.).

would absolutely love to see winter sports powerhouses (usa, canada, norway etc.) have rainbow coloured elements on their equipment.

rainbow stripes on the sleeve would be very appropriate, i reckon.

hopefully, the others would follow, but most successful countries would ned to take the lead on this one because, let's face it, noone would get bothered about banning serbia (with our 10-ish participants, no medals ever and winter olympics fandom to match those great results) or any other country in a similar situation from the olympics.

I dont watch sports.... Took the girlfriend for dinner at Boston Pizza, and looking around, i said "i wish i liked sports"

However, whenever the winter olympics are on, im glued to the tv. Winter, not summer.

Skiing, skating, hockey, all of it. Particularly excited for Olympic hockey. The rosters were announced already, and our home town hero made the team again, Sidney Crosby. He won us the gold 4years ago.

Go Canada!!!!!

.....Winter Olympics is Coming. :)

I am saddened to find that this thread is discussing boycott and LGTQ laws, and not discussing Norwegian cross country skiing. Or biathlon.

We need a change here.

I was watching curling over the weekend. I was extremely disappointed at how tame all of the outfits were. I hope that Norway really outdoes themselves and adds sequins or LEDs to their pants this year. https://www.facebook.com/NOCTP

The Jamaican bobsled team qualified for the first time in 12 years, as you might imagine people back home are going kind of crazy :lol:. The country has no money to send them to Sochi however and according to the team captain they needed to raise $80,000 to go.

So far a group on Reddit have managed to get $30,000 together. Probably going to donate myself.

Archived