Sochi Olympics open thread

WeirwoodTreeHugger

Wow, is Emil Jönsson the luckiest athlete in these games or what? Two medals due to falls.

Too bad Nordthug wasn't in position to capitalize on a, shall we say, aggressive move by the Finn that caused the German to fall, but Hattestad didn't look up to the task today unfortunately.

Great job by the Norwegian women's team earlier tonight though, Bjørgen looks to be on form for the 30k.

I don't know much about the rules of cross-country skiing - is there a good chance that Finland would be disqualified due to causing the German to fall?

Norwegian media reports that the Germans handed in a protest, but the jury dismissed it pretty quickly. I think the Finn was ahead of the German as he went for the better track, and thus had the right of way.

Are you ready? :D

I`m from Latvia and this is the first time we have got to the quarterfinals.

Congrats on that milestone! Yes, I've now eaten my hat metaphorically. It's great to see Ozolinsh still playing and Girgensons is a really promising young player.

I guess when you think back on it Finland should've been the favorites. They've done much better in Olympic competition in recent history.

In every Olympics, Russia just doesn't seem to get as much out of it's 5 or 6 superstar forwards as you'd expect.

Well their D corps is average at best, and they didn't use guys like Markov and Voynov as much as they should've in offensive roles.

And man Ovi and Malkin, top-5 players in the nhl, were completely invisible in the tourney (except against Slovenia, but that's Slovenia), basically like they were in 2010.

And man Ovi and Malkin, top-5 players in the nhl, were completely invisible in the tourney (except against Slovenia, but that's Slovenia), basically like they were in 2010.

I wouldn't say they were invisible so much as just unproductive. I noticed those 2 every time they were on the ice and Ovi was generating a lot of great shots. They just couldn't get it together enough to actually score goals.

God damn this is way closer than it should be...

If it makes you feel any better, your new username (when paired with that avatar) sets the new gold standard for the entire forum. :D

Not to jinx our friends oop north but Latvia somehow managing to win would be one of the monumental upsets of all time...

If it makes you feel any better, your new username (when paired with that avatar) sets the new gold standard for the entire forum. :D

Not to jinx our friends oop north but Latvia somehow managing to win would be one of the monumental upsets of all time...

Heh thanks :)

So I'm sure you're looking forward to your team going against the Latvians, your eternal rivals? :P

Edit: they showed an extended look at the Latvian goal. The defenseman went to the bench right after the faceoff, and a forward flew out of the other side of the bench, behind the cdn defense. He was alone for a breakaway pass. Those clever bastards...

Edit 2: WAIT Ted Nolan is coaching Latvia? I don't even...how?

Archived