[Major Book spoilers] Questions arising from S4 trailer

TheBadboy

The New trailer is out. The casting details are out. The pilot date is out.Yet there are so many things that begs attention

Only for book readers'. Will Margaery have a bigger role in purple wedding than in the books?

My take : Probably yes. Given the expanded role of Margaery in the show and the fact that Dormer is knocking it out of the park, she might have a much more direct role in Joffery's demise without altering Sansa's role in it

2. Where is coldhands? No casting info on coldhands. What will be Bran's storyline?

My take - GRRM probably does not have further use of him, and his identity will be an unsolved mystery of the series, so the showmakers decided to ignore him.

Bran will probably have some sort of troubles with others before reaching his cave.

3. Problem of Shae.

Shae is a more caring and sympathetic character in the show , so they will have major problems making a girl who loves Tyrion betray him and sleep with his father. Also she might play a role in Sansa's escape, given her closeness with her.

4. Keeping Dany in the grey this season?

Dany has been sort of a messiah figure, but her timidness starts coming to surface from Mereen onwards, so will they risk to take a chance with the most beloved characters on show?

5. Sansa -Brienne

Sansa is in kings landing, and it was brienne's mission to get her safe. Brienne is in kings landing too.

But in books brienne doesn't surface there till Sansa is shipped off. How will they manage the timeline is a question

My take : Probably they will arrest brienne and explore her dynamics with loras. By the time she Is free, it would be too late.

( but again won't Jaime object if brienne is arrested)

7. Melissandre -

She met Arya, she will meet Jon. Possible that she recognizes them as siblings? or atleast have some hint?

8. UnCat.

When will they decide to resurrect Catelyn? Must be done in a couple of episodes, or the corpse would start to rot?

9. Edmure and Roslin

Will the show give a clearcut picture of whether Rosilyn had prior knowledge to the red wedding . And will they explore the edmure -roslin , now that he knows her family murdered his?

10 . Jeyne Poole as Fake Arya?

All of the sudden introduction of jeyne would be messy? So how will they introduce her?

The New trailer is out. The casting details are out. The pilot date is out.Yet there are so many things that begs attention

Only for book readers'. Will Margaery have a bigger role in purple wedding than in the books?

My take : Probably yes. Given the expanded role of Margaery in the show and the fact that Dormer is knocking it out of the park, she might have a much more direct role in Joffery's demise without altering Sansa's role in it

2. Where is coldhands? No casting info on coldhands. What will be Bran's storyline?

My take - GRRM probably does not have further use of him, and his identity will be an unsolved mystery of the series, so the showmakers decided to ignore him.

Bran will probably have some sort of troubles with others before reaching his cave.

3. Problem of Shae.

Shae is a more caring and sympathetic character in the show , so they will have major problems making a girl who loves Tyrion betray him and sleep with his father. Also she might play a role in Sansa's escape, given her closeness with her.

Dany has been sort of a messiah figure, but her timidness starts coming to surface from Mereen onwards, so will they risk to take a chance with the most beloved characters on show?

5. Sansa -Brienne

Sansa is in kings landing, and it was brienne's mission to get her safe. Brienne is in kings landing too.

But in books brienne doesn't surface there till Sansa is shipped off. How will they manage the timeline is a question

My take : Probably they will arrest brienne and explore her dynamics with loras. By the time she Is free, it would be too late.

7. Melissandre -

She met Arya, she will meet Jon. Possible that she recognizes them as siblings? or atleast have some hint?

8. UnCat.

When will they decide to resurrect Catelyn? Must be done in a couple of episodes, or the corpse would start to rot?

9. Edmure and Roslin

Will the show give a clearcut picture of whether Rosilyn had prior knowledge to the red wedding . And will they explore the edmure -roslin , now that he knows her family murdered his?

All of the sudden introduction of jeyne would be messy? So how will they introduce her?

1. Probably considering her bigger role in the show.

2. He could just be a stunt man considering you never see his face.

3. By how Tyrion looks to be in a very dark place when he does the "you've come to the wrong place" line, this makes me assume that they are going to have him kill Shae.

4. Considering her 'my way or the dead way' line it looks like they're making her greyer.

5. I imagine they'll keep Brienne arrested or have it so she can't get near Sansa somehow.

6. I don't think it was a secret among the brotherhood that the girl was Arya, it could give Jon a nice moment if he finds out one of his siblings is still alive,

7. Final moment of episode 10 is when we'll see LS, we won't see the resurrection

8. Maybe, probably will if they move the siege of Riverrun up to this season (I doubt they'll go that far into Feast/Dance material just now though).

9. They could just have her as a random Northern girl in Kings Landing, or they could just explain it in a few lines and leave it at that.

3. Problem of Shae.

Certainly true and its hard to believe she would be with Tywin compared to book Shae.

Luckily it seems nobody likes her or the actress so they might get away with it!

1. In regards to Margaery, I guess that it is likely that her role will expand even further.

I don't really know about Coldhands, I think that it is odd that he hasn't appeared so far. Perhaps they will merge his character with another.

Since they have portrayed Shae as a friend, almost an advisor to Sansa, I wouldn't be surprised if they have her helping Sansa to escape, although this makes the situation even more complicated. In that case, it means that Shae is working with LF and Dontos, and I don't know if the writers want her to be an accomplice. Otherwise, what is the point of Ser Dontos? During the battle at Blackwater, Shae told Sansa that she must go to her chamber but when Sansa tells her to come with her, Shae insists that she needs to say goodbye to someone. Perhaps Shae was a spy all along, perhaps not. In regards to her personality, I believe that her death will make the audience realise how grey Tyrion really is and her murder will be a prelude to his emotional downfall that will take place in the 5th season. In regards to Tywin, there is a theory that wants Shae to be his spy all along.

As far as Dany is concerned, the audience need to find out the consequences of her actions, just like the readers did.

Brienne-Sansa-Jaime is for me the most problematic part in the 4th season. In the books Jaime returns to save Brienne, and that means that he arrives late for Joffrey's wedding. Loras is eager to fight Brienne, as he accusses her of killing Reny. Jaime imprisons Brienne, keeping her safe from Loras, and only after the duel between Oberyn and Gregor takes place, he releases her. For me this is an crucial sequence of events. Jaime is determined to return Sansa, and sends Brienne on a mission to protect her, even when Tyrion's life is in danger. Brienne, who is loyal, barely interacts with anyone other than Jaime. I find it very hard to believe that Jaime and Brienne know that Sansa is in KL and yet do nothing to help her escape. Especially Brienne.

I don't think so. Although, Melisandre in the books had a vision of a grey girl on a dying horse and Jon thought that it was Arya.

Uncat will likely be introduced towards the end. I wonder if Michelle Fairley will reprise the role.

I think that Edmure and Roslin will appear again in the 5th season, during the siege at Riverrun most likely.

Jeyne appeared briefly in the 1st season. I think that the fake Arya storyline is too important not to be included and it has to be someone who is close to the Starks and Theon knows her. I have no idea what they are going to do but I hope that they will be faithfull to the original story.

Regarding Brienne and Sansa, what exactly could Brienne actually do?

Robb and Catelyn are dead. Winterfell is in ruins (and going by the scene with Walder and Roose in 3-10, seems to officially belong to the Boltons). Riverrun will presumably be under siege shortly. And perhaps most importantly, Sansa is married to Tyrion.

Brienne can't exactly just take her and go. Tywin definitely wouldn't allow Sansa to leave.

Perhaps Jaime and Brienne try to devise a plan to sneak Sansa to the Lysa or the Blackfish, but Sansa escapes with Dontos before they can put their plan in action?

The thread's title is misleading! None of the questions arise from the S4 trailer, and all of them have been around since the end of last season or before. :P

Anyway:

1. Obviously Margaery will have a much greater role than in the books. Dormer is one of the actors that B&W love, and they'll do anything they can to increase her screentime.

2. I don't think we'll see Coldhands in the show.

3. Whatever they do with Shae, I don't think I'll like it. IMHO, they've write themselve into a corner here.

5. I don't think that the portrayal of Dany in the show is going to change. She'll remain a wise and confident leader that never errs.

6. Your suggestion that Brienne will be kept in jail until after Joffrey's death works very well. With Tommen as king, it would be easier for Jaime to free her.

7. I don't think that they'll include any callback to Melisandre and Arya meeting in S3. It's unnecessary, and it doesn't lead anywhere in terms of plot.

8. My preduction is that we won't see Uncat this season, and Merret Frey won't be cast. We'll see first see her in S5 when Brienne is brought to her.

9+10: IMO, the siege of Riverrun and fake Arya is something that, if included, won't be covered in season 4.

3. Problem of Shae.

5. Sansa -Brienne

7. Melissandre -

8. UnCat.

9. Edmure and Roslin

2. I dont think we will see coldhands, they will probably make children of the forest have a larger role

3. I think Tyrion will kill her, because as previously mentioned he is in a dark place when he says most ;likely to Oberyn "If you

4. Dany I feel will still be seen as a messiah, even though her actions have consequences for the whole region, the unsullied will still praise her for revolting against slavery. So even if D&D wish to make her more grey a feel it will take more horrific actions for them to change their view. Hope we hear Dany getting the news that the slaves of Astapor have now become the slave owners

5. Feel Brienne will be joined by Gendry and Pod to find Sansa

8. Beric is listed in s4 so wonder what he is up to an will we see a dead floating Cat in the river

9. Edmure is not listed, so dont think we will see him, but Clive Russell(Blackfish) is, so maybe we will see seige of Riverrun.

We probably won't see Catelyn until the end of this season and I'm hoping the scene serves a sort of epilogue, like in the books. We might see Beric finding her body in the river, but they'll probably want to keep the LS part of it a surprise.

They'll probably cut Coldhands by the looks of it, simply letting Bran and his group come across other things on their way beyond the wall (maybe some of Craster's daughter's or something), so he doesn't reach the three-eyed crow till nearer the end of the season.

Will Margaery have a bigger role in purple wedding than in the books?

Not sure it will be a bigger role, but we'll see the Tyrells' plans unfold on screen imo.

F-ck knows. I seriously have no idea what they're doing with Bran's storyline.

3. Problem of Shae.

I think Shae's storyline could still potentially work similarly to the books, with the added Sansa bit. Shae could grow more discontented with her situation with Tyrion as we know she already is, and become bitter and betray him as a result. Or she could be forced to testify against him, or lied to. Either way, atm I think the outcome will be the same as the books.

No idea.

5. Sansa -Brienne

I don't mean to be rude, but this Loras having Brienne arrested because of Renly has been mentioned so many times, that I'm really wondering whether people pay attention to what is said in the show.

Loras said to Margaery he doesn't believe Brienne did it, so he won't accuse of her it now obviously, unless B&W retcon their own changes. We know from the few snippets during filming that Brienne has a scene with Olenna and Marge, so there will be something about that. As for Sansa, well... It's a mess. Cause there's no way Brienne wouldn't try to help her or at least stand by her. Girl might be married to Tyrion, but she's been forced in that marriage and Brienne will know that.

7. Melisandre

I don't think she'll meet other Starks, except for Jon. I think they had her meeting Arya so she can tell Jon about it later on, and try to gain his trust. Like in the books, just with a slightly different spin.

8. UnCat.

Maybe off screen. It's possible they won't show the resurrection and she won't appear till Brienne and Pod are captured.

On the topic of Shae, I wouldn't be surprised if they did a *massive* departure from the books, and had Tywin kill her instead of Tyrion, thus giving Tyrion an added motive for revenge. I'm not saying they should do that, but that they might, especially to keep Tyrion on the right side of sympathetic.

Is there any chance Shae is the a replacement for Poole. According to the wiki, Shae and Arya are 8 years apart in age and anyone who knew the real Arya in person is dead. It could serve as a final blow of anger from Tywin to Tyrion, sending Shae North to be tortured by the Boltons as the fake Arya. Also, Shae having worked with Sansa would know her more personally then a random Northern girl.

Since they have portrayed Shae as a friend, almost an advisor to Sansa, I wouldn't be surprised if they have her helping Sansa to escape, although this makes the situation even more complicated. In that case, it means that Shae is working with LF and Dontos, and I don't know if the writers want her to be an accomplice. Otherwise, what is the point of Ser Dontos?

The whole Sansa/Shae connection is rather like the Arya/Tywin scenes that people loved so much in season 2: whatever merit they had on a scene-by-scene basis, there's zero payoff, because the writers have wedged them into a story structure which doesn't allow for it. One of the recurring things I observe in Unsullied predictions is, not unreasonably, that all this talk about Shae's devotion to Sansa and willingness to sacrifice for her is going somewhere. But it's not, barring a really major divergence like the one you outline.

Perhaps Shae was a spy all along

I really can't see that ever being credible based on her characterization to this point.

Is there any chance Shae is the a replacement for Poole.

No.

Is there any chance Shae is the a replacement for Poole. According to the wiki, Shae and Arya are 8 years apart in age and anyone who knew the real Arya in person is dead. It could serve as a final blow of anger from Tywin to Tyrion, sending Shae North to be tortured by the Boltons as the fake Arya. Also, Shae having worked with Sansa would know her more personally then a random Northern girl.

No, that's impossible.

Certainly true and its hard to believe she would be with Tywin compared to book Shae.

Luckily it seems nobody likes her or the actress so they might get away with it!

Maybe they made her that way so it will be more of a shock in the series, just like with the RW Jeyne being pregnant and then being stabbed.

That's the way I see it anyway, they want you to think that she wouldn't betray Tyrion.

Or maybe like other people have said, they will depart from the books.

As far as Tyrion/Shae/Tywin goes, I quite firmly believe the show is not going to depart from the final outcome of the book.

At the same time, I quite honestly have no idea how the show is going to get from where it is now to that point.

As far as Tyrion/Shae/Tywin goes, I quite firmly believe the show is not going to depart from the final outcome of the book.

At the same time, I quite honestly have no idea how the show is going to get from where it is now to that point.

I agree with you here. Anyway, with Shae I reckon we'll get a scene or two with her and Cersei where she's reluctant to betray Tyrion and is reluctant at first but is eventually swayed due to the fate that would await her. Perhaps Cersei will tell her the story of what happened to Tyrion's last wife as a threat, or we'll see a rope as she's told what Tywin planned to do with any whore who was found in Tyrion's bed. Basically something which frightens her into turning on him.

She might not be so harsh and humiliating with him though, ie they might not include things like "the giant of Lannister" part which completely embarrassed Tyrion. She'll probably be quite hesitant and will continually pause to look at him while speaking during the trial.

Archived