Talk about Stannis Baratheon(and then perform your duties in a leal and puissant manner)

E-Ro

Well this topic got derailed pretty drastically....

Listen brahs, if this gets locked no one make a new one, leave that to me.

srsly, i got this.

To be fair, given that the instruction was to "talk about Stannis," talking about E-Ro is really only one degree of separation.

Having said that, we should probably get back to talking about the man himself. (Stannis, not E-Ro.)

I'm still really interested to know how Massey's quest turns out, and whether he can return any sellswords for Stannis. I have a suspicion that he will, though it might perhaps turn out to be too late when he does return.

I'm still really interested to know how Massey's quest turns out, and whether he can return any sellswords for Stannis. I have a suspicion that he will, though it might perhaps turn out to be too late when he does return.

Im super excited for this too, and I might be a bit too hopeful but I think its going to work out.

although massey might not get the 20,000 men stannis is hoping for I think he will get at least a good amount over to westeros.

I'm also interested in this. Justin Massey has become one of my favourite minor characters recently, what with his kind treatment of Asha (though not entirely selfless) and serving the biggest badass in the series. I only wish we would get a PoV to go with Justin to Braavos so we could see what he was getting up to. Speaking of travelling places, it seems a lot of people will be converging on Braavos and the Wall. We've for Justin Massey and Tycho Nestoris planned to go the Braavos, as well as Harys Swift and the Mountain's men, and going to the Wall we've got Maege Mormont with Jeyne Poole, as well as Ser Desmond Grell and his companions. It seems these two places are going to get very busy in

Winds. I hope we see a cameo appearance of Justin and Tycho in Braavos through Arya's PoV.

Hypothetical scenario for you guys...

If Kevan ended up paying the debt to the Iron Bank using Lannister gold (or a loan from another bank) as he intended to do before he was murdered, do the IB still back Stannis, or do they abandon his cause?

The people are going to be so fucking surprised when A merc army shouting STANNIS STANNIS STANNIS! shows up in westeros bearing baratheon colors.

From there its only a short step from him getting the vale to support him. I expect Sansa too off pedofinger soon and declare the vale and all its power for Stannis.

Also i really wish we didnt have to use these spoiler tags too discuss the gift chapters. Rather annoying.

If Kevan ended up paying the debt to the Iron Bank using Lannister gold (or a loan from another bank) as he intended to do before he was murdered, do the IB still back Stannis, or do they abandon his cause?

I dont think they would support Stannis if the debt was paid tbh. They have nothing to gain if the throne is still making payments. Though Kevan was planning to pay the debt while all the stuff in the north was happening, so the iron bank may have given stannis the loan before kevan could pay it. Then they might decide it was too late for the lannisters and want a more stable regime in power to make steady payments. Plus, they would make more money that way as stannis would have to pay off the old debts as well as his new loan debts. So more money for them.

I suppose it could have gone either way.

The people are going to be so fucking surprised when A merc army shouting STANNIS STANNIS STANNIS! shows up in westeros bearing baratheon colors.

From there its only a short step from him getting the vale to support him. I expect Sansa too off pedofinger soon and declare the vale and all its power for Stannis.

Also i really wish we didnt have to use these spoiler tags too discuss the gift chapters. Rather annoying.

I love your optimism. It doesn't matter how bad it gets for Stannis, you'll be like Ferdinand Foch: "My center is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking."

You'd probably misspell it though.

I dont think they would support Stannis if the debt was paid tbh. They have nothing to gain if the throne is still making payments. Though Kevan was planning to pay the debt while all the stuff in the north was happening, so the iron bank may have given stannis the loan before kevan could pay it. Then they might decide it was too late for the lannisters and want a more stable regime in power to make steady payments. Plus, they would make more money that way as stannis would have to pay off the old debts as well as his new loan debts. So more money for them.

I suppose it could have gone either way.

They might not have supported Stannis, but I suspect there would have been consequences for even considering defaulting. If they consider the throne to be Baratheon held, and want to adjust rather than replace the king and council maybe they still go for Stannis as a punishment for Tommen etc.

Yup, onion is a gender traitor.

This comment causes me much duress boo boo.

I think it's too late if Kevan pays the debt after the Iron Bank makes their deal with Stannis. The IB's record of not breaking deals is stressed, so it would be odd for them to renege on their deal with Stannis after they've just made a point about making the Lannisters pay for breaking their contract. Their hope is probably less to recoup the loss from the Lannisters defaulting than to make a dramatic statement about what happens to defaulters. If Stannis succeeds after the IB backs him, they'll have made their point emphatically.

Spoiler Alert! :ack:

They might not have supported Stannis, but I suspect there would have been consequences for even considering defaulting.

They don't know if Stannis is going to suck or not yet, so they prob aren't betting on him to win it all just yet. For now he's a distraction for the crown while they make other moves to unseat the Lannisters too. If Stan pulls into the lead in the race for the crown, then Braavos will smile and say they knew it all along; if Stan dies in the next 5 minutes it's no real skin off Braavos' back because they'll just move on to their next destabilizing project. So... if Kevan had instantly begun to repay the debt..... I guess Braavos would have insisted on some additional gesture like making one of their guys the master of coin to ensure the crown stayed on track, and as an admission that Lannisters had boned themselves and needed oversight. I don't know what they do with Stannis at that point if he insists on pressing his claim. You can't expect him to be happy with a post on the council or Hand. He might receive the gift?

I actually sort of want to change my answer iirc, Stannis says he wants to open up casterly rocks vaults to the crown, so that would give him more then enough to pay off both the debt the throne currently holds AND his newly acquired debt. If he told the iron banker dude this, then they will be salivating to get a piece of that, and the lannisters sure as hell arent going to open up the wests wealth. So I do think that the iron bank as of the end of dance was going to support Stannis, regardless of kevan. They may have accepted his payment to them but backed stannis up anyway.

I actually sort of want to change my answer iirc, Stannis says he wants to open up casterly rocks vaults to the crown, so that would give him more then enough to pay off both the debt the throne currently holds AND his newly acquired debt. If he told the iron banker dude this, then they will be salivating to get a piece of that, and the lannisters sure as hell arent going to open up the wests wealth. So I do think that the iron bank as of the end of dance was going to support Stannis, regardless of kevan. They may have accepted his payment to them but backed stannis up anyway.

I think this should be in spoilers, so I'll put it in anyway, haha.

Given that they chose to support Stannis, and assuming they aren't also funding someone else, it stands to reason that they consider Stannis their best option for not only payment but punishing the Lannisters. They're not going to throw money away on something they consider a lost cause, presumably. Now, given what we're told about the IB, again, it seems likely, imo, that they would respond to the default with severe consequences even if the Iron Throne did change its mind. They would want to discourage anyone in future from even considering default. Given that, and given that they appear to view Stannis as their next best option, he might very well be their choice even if Kevan succeeded. Alternatively they could take Tywin's route and want to show lenience to those who come around. It's hard to say.

I think this should be in spoilers, so I'll put it in anyway, haha.

Given that they chose to support Stannis, and assuming they aren't also funding someone else, it stands to reason that they consider Stannis their best option for not only payment but punishing the Lannisters. They're not going to throw money away on something they consider a lost cause, presumably. Now, given what we're told about the IB, again, it seems likely, imo, that they would respond to the default with severe consequences even if the Iron Throne did change its mind. They would want to discourage anyone in future from even considering default. Given that, and given that they appear to view Stannis as their next best option, he might very well be their choice even if Kevan succeeded. Alternatively they could take Tywin's route and want to show lenience to those who come around. It's hard to say.

Yeah. :agree:

Another thing, I should add here. Regarding succession.

People, the targs lost the throne. So their succession laws are irrelevant. Stannis is the heir to the throne, if a targ takes it by force fine. But until that happens Stannis is the king.

Archived