Talk about Stannis Baratheon(and then perform your duties in a leal and puissant manner)

E-Ro

I agree. We already have The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister, where's our The Accidental and Intentional Humor and Insights of Stannis Baratheon?

There's been one about Stannis.

Throw Roose Bolton in there as well for characters with consistently great and often humurous lines

What do you mean he takes it as if its his own? HE takes jons advice, yeah. At no point does he say "lol this plan of mine was great!' So im really not sure what you mean here. He never once gives himself props for coming up with the idea to get the mt clans support.

Huh? So in order to be a main character you have to have a pov? I guess littlefinger, roose bolton, robb, jof, tywin, etc are all minor characters? What do you even mean by minor character? what is the definition here? Do you mean a person with no pov?

Stannis is a liitle pompous and arrogant he does not really give Jon the credit either now does he.

Yes books have major characters and minor characters. In the asoiaf style of writing the Major characters are pov's, and yes LF, RB, Rob, Jof, Tywin and etc. are not major characters. even though they are well written and we like them they are not essential to the Story. That is why most of them are dead resulting in little consequence to the main theme. Every well written book has these themes sometimes in a well written piece of literature we can become attached to a character so it may be harder to tell who is and who is not, it does not mean that the character is less important. Just not essential.

I think it's worth looking at Stannis as GRRM's twist on the "dark lord" or "corrupted King" trope. People have probably already addressed this in a lot more depth, but I'm on adderall and my paper's done so here goes... :cool4:

When we first meet Stannis, he has already been built up in AGOT as someone not to fuck with. Someone to be feared. Then we go to a place called Dragonstone, with an ancient, forbidding castle complete with scary gargoyles. Bit like an island "lair" no? Stannis is found brooding over a huge table shaped like Westeros. A supervillain plotting to take over the world. Then there's Melisandre, who's frightening and powerful and has a strong influence on Stannis. Obviously she is whispering in the King's ear, turning him to the dark side. Even his right-hand man is a smuggler. So his top advisors are a witch and a criminal.

But as the story progresses, we realize our first impression was very flawed. Melisandre may be mistaken in her beliefs but she genuinely wants to save the world - our views of her were colored by Cressen and Davos's biases. His right-hand Davos is obviously a good man, one of the most upright in the series. And Stannis himself is a hugely complex man, straddling the line between hero and villain. Other characters talk about his collusion with "dark forces" and his burning people alive, but he sincerely believes he is serving the true God and pursuing justice. Far from some "Demon King" threatening the realm, Stannis is one of the few high lords to actually defend it. He uses Melisandre, but he is not her puppet.

Just some thoughts.

This is a great post. Read it if you haven't already.

Favorite Stannis Moment:

Jon goes to behead Slynt. Stannis gives his approval.

Love that one. Also love when he berates the contestants for Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, especially the line, "He rose to his feet and frowned at them all."

Yeah i know it is the truth, so does that means since Napolean got thrashed at Leipzig, he is still considered one of the greatest commander ever lived is wrong?

Did I say that he wasn't a good/great commander?

I believe you are strawmanning. I'm just saying its a blunder.

A huge one.

Archived