Put away the GNC, we already have a new King in the North

Salinda

How would they get themselves killed in the North?

Stannis and his army is in a unfamiliar territory and they had to treat and eat with Northern lords to pass half Stannis' army is made up of Northernmen so how will they get themselves killed in their territory?

Whoever sits on the Iron Throne, won't abide Northern independence. They'll bring the North to heel by any means necessary. It would be truly the defininition of senseless loss to have the North endure another crushing and more people to die for absolutely nothing

How many more lives will be snuffed out for the dreams of a likely drunk, blustering buffoon and the child who listened to him?

Whoever sits on the Iron Throne, won't abide Northern independence. They'll bring the North to heel by any means necessary. It would be truly the defininition of senseless loss to have the North endure another crushing and more people to die for absolutely nothing

How many more lives will be snuffed out for the dreams of a likely drunk, blustering buffoon and the child who listened to him?

If there is an independent North, I think it will be because of a compromise between whoever sits the IT and the Northern Lords seeking independence. Both sides will most probably be drained out from the inevitable battle with dragons and Others. So I don't think we can write that off just yet.

Whoever sits the Iron Throne will be lucky to control anything more than the Crownlands.

I actually think the GNC is very plausible, and it'll probably happen. I just think that right now wouldn't be a great time for them to declare independence, considering there's an 8,000 year old enemy that's about to overrun the North. And I doubt they'll be able to beat the Others on their own.

This addresses a larger point. How many more major political developments are we going to see, given that the apocalypse seems to be on Westeros's door? Obviously some - Mereen, Winterfell, and King's Landing still need to be sorted out. But I'm not sure every story thread or subplot is going to come to completion - an army of undead Ice Monsters in the back yard will probably put a damper in a lot of "grand conspiracies."

If there is an independent North, I think it will be because of a compromise between whoever sits the IT and the Northern Lords seeking independence. Both sides will most probably be drained out from the inevitable battle with dragons and Others. So I don't think we can write that off just yet.

Why should they make a compromise with the North? What does the North offer that makes anyone want to grant their wishes? It's usurpation, plain and simple

Whoever sits the Iron Throne will be lucky to control anything more than the Crownlands.

We'll see about that. If the Iron Throne is going to be powerless, what makes the North, a region ravaged by war, any better or more powerful? Not to mention that the Others will destroy the North if anywhere, The North won't be able to assert independence once this is all over

Why should they make a compromise with the North? What does the North offer that makes anyone want to grant their wishes? It's usurpation, plain and simple

We'll see about that. If the Iron Throne is going to be powerless, what makes the North, a region ravaged by war, any better or more powerful? Not to mention that the Others will destroy the North if anywhere, The North won't be able to assert independence once this is all over

Well, I don't see the IT having much power after the Dance of Dragons 2.0/Long Night. If any region, not just the North, decides to declare independence, there is nothing much they will be able to do. The IT is a failing institution as it is.

The reason I feel the North will fare marginally better by the end is because they are much more used to harsh winters unlike the Southerners. And the Dance of Dragons will probably affect the South much more than the North.

The mountain clans, the manderlys and the glovers will rally to Stannis as will Karhold(i think). If and when Stannis destroys Boltons he is fullfillin his duties as a King and northern honor would demand they bend the knee

The Northerners don't come across as very honorable to me :P

Well, I don't see the IT having much power after the Dance of Dragons 2.0/Long Night. If any region, not just the North, decides to declare independence, there is nothing much they will be able to do. The IT is a failing institution as it is.

The reason I feel the North will fare marginally better by the end is because they are much more used to harsh winters unlike the Southerners. And the Dance of Dragons will probably affect the South much more than the North.

If the IT/South is demolished by the DoD, then the North will be demolished by the Others. Add in the fact that the North is already broken, and you'll have a region so weak it can barely function on its own, forget declaring independence.

And in additon, whoever wins the DoD (say Dany), won't allow the North to be independent. Northern independence died forever at the Red Wedding (if it was ever alive). And good riddance, it caused a great deal of grief for the North. Some dreams are simply for sleep

If the IT/South is demolished by the DoD, then the North will be demolished by the Others. Add in the fact that the North is already broken, and you'll have a region so weak it can barely function on its own, forget declaring independence.

And in additon, whoever wins the DoD (say Dany), won't allow the North to be independent. Northern independence died forever at the Red Wedding (if it was ever alive). And good riddance, it caused a great deal of grief for the North. Some dreams are simply for sleep

The last time the Others invaded, entire Westeros was covered in an eternal winter. So its not just the North that's going to be affected by the Others' invasion. I mentioned why I feel the Northerners would fare better during the Long Night in my previous post. There's a reason why the Stark motto is "Winter is Coming" :)

Lord Karstark and Bolton are not men of honor and if Lady Dustin is not part of GNC then honor is quite foreign to her, but from what ive read the rest of the northerners(especially their main house who im very sure kept all of them in line) are very honorable, especially in their allegiance to their main house.

Lord Karstark and Bolton are not men of honor and if Lady Dustin is not part of GNC then honor is quite foreign to her, but from what ive read the rest of the northerners(especially their main house who im very sure kept all of them in line) are very honorable, especially in their allegiance to their main house.

Yes, they are loyal to the Starks. But they are neither honorable nor are they very nice.

Oh come on. What about the rest of the Karstarks, who colluded with Roose to betray Stannis so that they could claim Karhold for themselves? What about the Umbers, who still practice the First Night and kill whores? Or Jorah Mormont the slaver?

Northmen are no more honorable than anyone else.

Yes, they are loyal to the Starks. But they are neither honorable nor are they very nice.

I would argue even their loyalty isn't as strong as many posters think. The Greatjon threatens to desert the Northern army in AGOT, before getting chewed by Grey Wind. You could argue he was "testing" Robb and Robb passed with flying colors, but it still isn't very loyal. Then you have the actions of Karstark and Bolton.

Archived