Dunk and Egg

• 3 weeks later...

Great to see that you're enjoying them!

After you're done with the 3 novellas, read "The Princess and the Queen", quite interesting too.

I loved Dunk and Egg, it's great low fantasy. I hope the final novella covers the events at Summerhall.

Great to see that you're enjoying them!

After you're done with the 3 novellas, read "The Princess and the Queen", quite interesting too.

I loved Dunk and Egg, it's great low fantasy. I hope the final novella covers the events at Summerhall.

I constantly hear people talking about The Princess and the Queen. Is that also in the ASOIAF universe?

Wow, how'd I miss this thread... :shocked:

They are great stories, with great characters. They are short stories however so they can't really encompass any epic battles, but there are epic figures within and a fairly good description of an epic battle. And as others have pointed out they deal with the day to day people of Westeros, smallfolk and the likes. To put it simply, clouts make good storytelling. :D

Sorry for gushing but I really do like them just as much as the novels.

The Sworn Sword is mine, but all 3 are great.

:agree:

I also love the second one to pieces (though there are also many for whom it's the least favorite because of the small stakes): It's like a totally fucked up GRRM fairy tale. And I love all the characters, even the horrible ones! The Hedge Knight is an interesting introduction to D&E too. The Mystery Knight frustrates me to no end though. I don't think that one lacks in greyness at all. :shocked:

First time I was really close to throw the book at the wall and I was always making fun of people who said they did this after reading the Red Wedding.

Single-handedly made me a Blackfyre supporter with that one too, the nasty GRRM, because I have contrarian personality disorder or something. Which will sure lead to much fun for me later, because it's obvious the red line through this series will be: Blackfyre tries to ursurp the throne

and he would have gotten away with it too, if not for that meddling Hedge Knight and his ugly bald squire! :bang:

All 3 the Dunk and Egg stories are great, though I love the Hedge Knight (because it shows Baelor Breakspear and the Trial or Seven) and the Mystery Knight (enter Bloodraven) the best. I enjoyed the Sworn Sword as well, but the other two had more subtle hints in them, over which I have been obsessing ever since :)

The Sworn Sword, however, was a blessing in disguise because it allowed me to create a very accurate timeline Blackfyre Rebellion wise.

The Princess and the Queen is a completely different read, because it isn't written as POVs like asoiaf and D&E, but as a maesters account, and then one who at times likes to chose sides in the conflict. Think of it as a history piece written by someone with multiple sources and at times a strong opinion. The disadvantage about tPatQ is that it was edited heavily, and that it doesn't conclude at the end of the war. The advantage is that it's about 80 pages, filled with info and action. Enough info to think about until the World of Ice and Fire is released, anyway.

All four stories I'd recommend, they create an even more complete view of the world. And it's nice to read of a time where there were no Lannisters and Starks who are trying to kill one another :)

• 2 weeks later...

All 3 the Dunk and Egg stories are great, though I love the Hedge Knight (because it shows Baelor Breakspear and the Trial or Seven) and the Mystery Knight (enter Bloodraven) the best. I enjoyed the Sworn Sword as well, but the other two had more subtle hints in them, over which I have been obsessing ever since :)

The Sworn Sword, however, was a blessing in disguise because it allowed me to create a very accurate timeline Blackfyre Rebellion wise.

The Princess and the Queen is a completely different read, because it isn't written as POVs like asoiaf and D&E, but as a maesters account, and then one who at times likes to chose sides in the conflict. Think of it as a history piece written by someone with multiple sources and at times a strong opinion. The disadvantage about tPatQ is that it was edited heavily, and that it doesn't conclude at the end of the war. The advantage is that it's about 80 pages, filled with info and action. Enough info to think about until the World of Ice and Fire is released, anyway.

All four stories I'd recommend, they create an even more complete view of the world. And it's nice to read of a time where there were no Lannisters and Starks who are trying to kill one another :)

Having now read all 3 I have to agree with you. The Hedge Knight and The Mystery Knight were definitely my favorites, as well, although I certainly enjoyed the Sworn Sword. I just felt as though the climaxes were more exciting in those and I found myself not being able to put the book down. I'm really looking forward to the 4th novella when it comes out in 10 years or so haha.

The comic adaptions are also really good.

Because there's only one POV character, the stories are shorter and it doesn't have to deal with both comparisions to the book and show, it's a lot better than the AGOT comics (which are decidedly meh).

You get amazing visual depictions of the armour and heraldry. A lot of the humour is funny with the facial expressions that Dunk is drawn with.

Edit: And the Sworn Sword shows the Redgrass field in all it's brutal glory.

The comic adaptions are also really good.

Because there's only one POV character, the stories are shorter and it doesn't have to deal with both comparisions to the book and show, it's a lot better than the AGOT comics (which are decidedly meh).

You get amazing visual depictions of the armour and heraldry. A lot of the humour is funny with the facial expressions that Dunk is drawn with.

Edit: And the Sworn Sword shows the Redgrass field in all it's brutal glory.

Yes, they are fantastic. I read all three in the kindle and now got the first two comic adaptions. I love them.

I would say that the Dunk and Egg characters are less grey, with some interesting exceptions e.g Maekar, but extremely entertaining to read about. Duncan the Tall is extremely likable. In fact, if you read everything that's available and didn't like Ser Duncan, I'd probably suspect you of criminal behavior. Dunk is awesome, Egg is too, and then there is the Tower of Badassery that is Baelor Breakspear. If nothing else, read the novellas for Baelor.

I would say that the Dunk and Egg characters are less grey, with some interesting exceptions e.g Maekar, but extremely entertaining to read about. Duncan the Tall is extremely likable. In fact, if you read everything that's available and didn't like Ser Duncan, I'd probably suspect you of criminal behavior. Dunk is awesome, Egg is too, and then there is the Tower of Badassery that is Baelor Breakspear. If nothing else, read the novellas for Baelor.

/discussion :)

Archived