Laena and Laenor Velaryon

Ser_Aeron_Connel

Judging by their similar names, these two may be siblings, perhaps even twins. If that's true the Targaryen/Velaryon relationship around TDotD becomes even more complex, given that their spouses (Rhaenyra and her uncle Daemon) married each other after Laena and Laenor died.

Also, if these two are the children of Lord Corlys the Sea Snake, that would explain why he was so eager to adopt Addam and Alyn of Hull after their deaths. That adds even more complexity in the cross-house inbreeding, since Corlys's wife was Rhaenys Targaryen. Rhaenys being their mother would also lend a little weight to their consideration for the Iron Throne at the Great Council of 101. Both Laena and Laenor had children, which fits with Rhaenys being a grandmother.

Hopefully Ran could confirm some of these Velaryon relations?

Edit: I'd assumed Laenor and Rhaenyra's children were in Corlys's mind more like Targaryens if the Blacks won, with them being the royal line rather than ruling Driftmark. Therefore he wanted Addam and Alyn as his own heirs (Lucerys was also dead by that point). Or maybe Joffrey would've been Lord of the Tides? I dunno.

• 2 months later...

GRRM himself has confirmed that Laenor and Laena were the children of Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys. Laena was also the eldest of the two, older than Laenor by one year.

My theory about Adam and Alyn is that they were Laenor's bastards. Adam being able to claim Laenor's old dragon must have added some believe to that, in Corlys' mind.

Corlys himself seems less likely to have cheated. He seems to have loved his wife deeply, and almost stopped supporting Rhaenyra after Rhaenys died because he blamed her for the death of his wife. The marriage of Rhaenyra and Laenor seems to have been a political one, and if Rhaenyra entertained other men, why wouldn't Laenor entertain other women?

If my theory is correct (and we'll most likely never know for sure because even the historians are unsure about this topic), than the Velaryons of today (starting with Alyn) have a little drop of dragonsblood.

• 1 year later...

GRRM himself has confirmed that Laenor and Laena were the children of Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys. Laena was also the eldest of the two, older than Laenor by one year.

My theory about Adam and Alyn is that they were Laenor's bastards. Adam being able to claim Laenor's old dragon must have added some believe to that, in Corlys' mind.
Corlys himself seems less likely to have cheated. He seems to have loved his wife deeply, and almost stopped supporting Rhaenyra after Rhaenys died because he blamed her for the death of his wife. The marriage of Rhaenyra and Laenor seems to have been a political one, and if Rhaenyra entertained other men, why wouldn't Laenor entertain other women?

If my theory is correct (and we'll most likely never know for sure because even the historians are unsure about this topic), than the Velaryons of today (starting with Alyn) have a little drop of dragonsblood.

They would anyway because Velaryon's are of the freehold.

Archived