The riddle of the Sphinx is Tyrion

Daendrew

Oh jeeze... so now Tyrion is:

How about no. He's just an ass hole with a chip the size of the North on his shoulder. Kinslaying son of Tywin who has lost his "rightful" claim to CR. He very likely will never ride a dragon or marry a Queen.

What?!? Tyrion is the bomb diggity. My favorite character. He's the one I most identify with (except that I'm a blonde woman of average hieght, and I don't like whores or power drinking....and last time I checked, my brother and sister weren't "down like that".

Janos Slynt is an asshole. Ramsay is an asshole. Theon, Alliser Thorne, Littlefinger and Cersei are assholes. Tyrion is dope.

ETA: I don't see Alleras/Sarella as the sphinx Maester Aemon was talking about. Alleras was only just recently introduced, and Maester Aemln was speaking about something he's misunderstood for years and only just recently figured out. Plus, GRRM is way too sneaky to straight up nickname a character "the sphinx" and it not be a red herring.

Because the whole quote says:

"Dany was named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned"

He's actually being coy about JON here, and setting the record straight about the others. It's a conversation about who named them due to their mothers dying. The point is he calls out Tyrion for being named "by his father" and Jon as "by Ned". Why not say, Tyrion by Tywin if he's being coy? And Tyrion was born at CR, where Joanna died during birth. Tywin was there, but why would Aerys be there in order to name him? His Hand's wife us giving birth, that's a private family occasion, so why would the King tag along? That would be extremely conspicuous. And Aerys naming Tywin's "son" would make zero sense.

I'm sorry, it is outside the realm of possibilities. The "proof" is do weak compared to the comments from the author.

Making Tyrion a Targ serves zero purpose to the plot. Lannisters likely have some Targ blood in their past, so he could ride a dragon from that. TPATQ shows people who show no link to being biologically related to the Targs who ride dragons, so he can do it that way.

On a personal note, Tyrion makes better Dragon Chow than Dragon Rider.

To add to this threads point, we also have Tyrion at one point speak of a tale saying dragons used to riddle with sphinxes. Now even people who don't think he's a targ agree from Moqorros vision that Tyrion is in it because he's been influencing the "Dragons" agreed? Tyrion the sphinx is riddling with the dragons 1. With Jon in book 1 talking about him being a basard ect. becoming friends with him. 2. Influences aegon to change course for westeros. 3. We expect him to soon meet Dany and become a part of her court . Aemon says he's the riddle not the riddler he's seemed to be=Him beinbg the third and final head.

If you had to connect one person to the phrase "riddler" in these books its pretty easy the witty tyrion, Varys a not so close second and nobody else

Here's an idea going back to the OP:

A sphinx is not necessarily a half-bird (half-dragon). A sphinx's only real qualifications are part-lion/part-man. Tyrion is the "half-man". And he's also a lion.

He could be the sphinx without being a secret dragon.

Of course, supposing he is? What does that tell us? Practically nothing. So....

Yes, very often winged.

That is a chimera not a Sphinx.

EDIT:

The Chimera (/kɨˈmɪərə/ or /kˈmɪərə/, also Chimaera, Chimæra; Greek: Χίμαιρα Chímaira) was, according to Greek mythology, a monstrous fire-breathing creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of three animals — a lion, a snake and a goat. Usually depicted as a lion, with the head of a goat arising from its back, and a tail that ended in a snake's head,[1] the Chimera was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna and a sibling of such monsters as Cerberus and the Lernaean Hydra.

The term chimera has come to describe any mythical or fictional animal with parts taken from various animals, or to describe anything perceived as wildly imaginative or implausible.

A sphinx (Greek: Σφίγξ /sphinx/. Bœotian: Φίξ /Phix) is a mythical creature with, as a minimum, the body of a lion and a human head.

A sphinx is a kind of chimera

No it is not.

A chimera is entirely from different kind of animals.

A spynx however is lion with a human face.

A chimera doesn't have human in them. Just like the picture you posted is also fully animal.

A Sphynx may have another animal parts as well, like wings of some bird, but the deciding factor is that it has the body of a lion and the face of a man.

Tyrion is more Tywin's son than ever as of ADWD. After finding out Tysha wasn't a whore, he loathes them the same way Tywin did.

Aerys caused his own downfall the same as Cersei did. Coincidentally, both did it by trying to prove they didn't need Tywin.

That is a chimera not a Sphinx.

EDIT:

The Chimera (/kɨˈmɪərə/ or /kˈmɪərə/, also Chimaera, Chimæra; Greek: Χίμαιρα Chímaira) was, according to Greek mythology, a monstrous fire-breathing creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of three animals a lion, a snake and a goat. Usually depicted as a lion, with the head of a goat arising from its back, and a tail that ended in a snake's head,[1] the Chimera was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna and a sibling of such monsters as Cerberus and the Lernaean Hydra.

The term chimera has come to describe any mythical or fictional animal with parts taken from various animals, or to describe anything perceived as wildly imaginative or implausible.

A sphinx (Greek: Σφίγξ /sphinx/. Botian: Φίξ /Phix) is a mythical creature with, as a minimum, the body of a lion and a human head.

And Jon can be a chimera of wolf and dragon in symbolic terms, if we take R+L=J as fact.

Why is it outside of the realm of possibilities that Aerys didn't want everybody to know so he named him with a lannister name? Or maybe GRRM wasn't gona go out of his way to give away something that important? Or maybe its still fair to consider Tywin his "father since he raised him and George didn't feel the need to hold himself to the same wording standards from previously in the interview? I cant imagine why he would've said anything else besides exactly what he said in the situation regardless of who his parents end up being

Occam`s razor, that`s why.

Tyrion is Tywin`s son because it makes sense in every possible narrative and in-world way.

Tyrion is more Tywin's son than ever as of ADWD. After finding out Tysha wasn't a whore, he loathes them the same way Tywin did.

There is something real weird about that family and whores, man. And it don't add up using what we know so far. So I think Tyrion's probably blocking some detail from his POV memory, or he was never told that missing detail. Like, my theory was that the word whore became a big thing with Tywin when he "caught" the king banging his wife and the king was like Whatcha gonna do about it? and Tywin was like ".............. "

So then Tywin was caught in a weird place emotionally. The woman he loved was being used like the king's whore and the king might have even called his wife a whore to his face, or if not that then just the fact of what was happening would have given Tywin a love/hate thing going on that might have later manifested in that inexplicable Tysha event, especially if Tywin was hoping the midget was Aerys' offspring and not the more beloved twins. So Tywin punished Tyrion hoping against hope that his more splendorous children were really his while the repugnant halfman was really fathered by the king..... but Tywin had a horrible gut feeling that it was really the other way around.....

I don't what are you guys arguing? In asoiaf-universe a sphinx is a mythical creature which has the body of a lion, the wings of a hawk and a human face.

Valyrian sphinxes are different. They're half-dragon, half-human.

edit: In our world chimera slowly became a term for creatures that is made from many different things. It seems like in asoiaf-universe sphinx is what you call when a creature is made from different things.

Maybe the wings of Tyrion's sphinx represent his future child with Sansa because she's a caged bird and he's a dip.

Okay, that deserves a :bowdown:

I'm dying!!!!!! :lmao: It's a good thing I wasn't drinking, I could have lost alot of wine on that post. Drink first, then read at my own risk.

You can't deny Tyrion is by ASOIAF standards (Wikipedia the sphinx if you must) the closest thing in the story to a Sphinx. You can't deny he could be described as a riddler more so than anyone else and had met Aemon.

"Tyrion mentions to Brown Ben Plumm most of the stories heard about dragons are fodder for fools- one of which is Dragons riddling with Sphinxes."

Dragons(Targs) riddling with Sphinxes(Tyrion, The Halfman) - 1. Jon on his journey to the wall. 2. Aegon(real or blackfyre) influencing his change to head toward westeros. 3. Soon to meet Dany and do the same.

Aemon- The Sphinx (Tyrion) is the riddle, not the riddler.

The riddle is one proposed by Rhaegar which must be solved by Danaerys, whom Aemon was fixated on in his final moments - " There must be one more"

There is something real weird about that family and whores, man. And it don't add up using what we know so far. So I think Tyrion's probably blocking some detail from his POV memory, or he was never told that missing detail. Like, my theory was that the word whore became a big thing with Tywin when he "caught" the king banging his wife and the king was like Whatcha gonna do about it? and Tywin was like ".............. "

So then Tywin was caught in a weird place emotionally. The woman he loved was being used like the king's whore and the king might have even called his wife a whore to his face, or if not that then just the fact of what was happening would have given Tywin a love/hate thing going on that might have later manifested in that inexplicable Tysha event, especially if Tywin was hoping the midget was Aerys' offspring and not the more beloved twins. So Tywin punished Tyrion hoping against hope that his more splendorous children were really his while the repugnant halfman was really fathered by the king..... but Tywin had a horrible gut feeling that it was really the other way around.....

Except Tywin`s hatred of whores comes from the mistress his father took. He just looks down on commonfolk in general, especially those who manipulate the nobility for riches, like his father`s mistress did and what whores in general do. This is all pure conjecture to fit a theory that just doesn`t hold up to simple analysis yet keeps perpetrating itself everywhere.

Tywin was the sort of man who would have killed Aerys for sleeping with Joanna. And he'd have done it publicly. He had much more support in the kingdoms than Aerys did, so it's not as though it would have been especially difficult to stage a show trial on the matter. Aerys was king, but he didn't have much effective power. Tywin loved parading his power to everyone and it wouldn't have been too hard to have Aerys killed in a trial or stripped of his position and have had Rhaegar elevated to the throne early.

I doubt that Rhaegar would've been pleased to see his father on trial but I also think he'd probably have felt he deserved his fate.

That's right ^ (and ^^). I'm going where I'm going with it mostly to try and explain why the Tysha thing was directed at his own kid so harshly. I guess parents are abusive all the time and that's the explanation, plus Ty's embarrassment over Tyrion amounted to him trying NOT to think of Tyr as his kid, and add in the resentment for the childbirth death of wifey.

you know what I found interesting that Joffery's name is a Targ royal name. So maybe like people are thinking that Jamie and Cersi are really Aerys. Yet I still don't get that impression. I think that it's poetic that Tyrion killed Jamie's dad while Jamie killed Tyrion's father. Then another thing that foreshadows that Tyrions is a blackfyre bastard. He was dreaming and fighting side by side with Selmy. He killed his brother and father only to realize that he had a second head and it was weeping. Selmy killed the last of the Blackfyre pretenders and the last one had two heads. More foreshadowing that Tyrion is Aerys' son. I always found it interesting that when someone says that's something isn't true about themselves or someone says something about them that the character doesn't find to be true about themselves turns out to be true. Example: Lord Snow, only for jon to hate the name he screamed at Tyrion not to call him that. Only by the end of the third book for him to be named a lord in truth. The citidal had been named the knighthood of the mind. Ser piggy anyone.

Remember that these books were suppose to be 3 books long at first, so working on that principle then it stands to reason that the most foreshadowing would be in the first book. That's the same book that Tyrion says that his father doesn't think he's his son. On more than one occasion. Then in book 3 he flat out says that he can't prove that he's not his yet he would never allow him to turn the rock into his personal whorehouse. isn't that one of the arguments different lannister said about a Targ consort of Rheanys?

Then there is this Tyrion's mother isn't dead. Tywin banished her after Tyrion was born. In the sept when Jamie is standing vigil and the woman stops by. He thinks he's dreaming and she points out his hand. In jamies' dreams he always has 2 hands. She starts crying and telling him about how his father wanted his daughter to be queen and his son a famous knight at which point he says that's what happenend. She could have been 15 or 50 with pools of liquid wildfire for eyes, that's the same way Jamie describes Cersi's eyes when burning the tower of the hand. Yet I got off subject. This is whether tyrion is the sphinx. I could get with that.

Archived