Video Games Thread, Son Of Video Games Thread

Inigima

So how much of the Obsidian team is actually working on Stick of Truth? They're also making Pillars of Eternity, which looks awesome btw.

Couldn't say for sure, but if I had to guess, not many at this point. Supposedly the game is all but done with the exception of adding a few Easter Eggs and some fine tuning.

Stick of Truth is pretty much done. They're in bug-fixing and testing mode on it right now, I believe.

Pillars of Eternity has about maybe a dozen people working on it, maybe 20 at the outside. One of the appeals of the game was that it wouldn't take a big team or much money to make, and allow the rest of the team to get on with other ideas.

Everyone else at Obsidian is apparently brainstorming for their second Kickstarter campaign, which will likely launch in April or May. This may (but probably won't) be their Wheel of Time game.

The alternatives in the banner saga are illusionary anyway. A save system would only lead to disappointment ;)

Whatever happened to all the talk of getting the Black Isle team back together?

Black Isle is obsidian, disregarding some outliers that quit the biz or went to work for other companies - notably Troika, but Tim Cain was hired by them again.

Whatever happened to all the talk of getting the Black Isle team back together?

Well, it seems like at least some of those guys are making games in different locales and some of the biggest outstanding sequels (Balder's Gate, Planescape) have been respectively take up by Obsidian and InExile.

The alternatives in the banner saga are illusionary anyway. A save system would only lead to disappointment ;)

Black Isle is obsidian, disregarding some outliers that quit the biz or went to work for other companies - notably Troika, but Tim Cain was hired by them again.

Bioware got the storytellers, Obsidian got the designers. At least, that's what I understood.

Ah, that's a bummer. However, im on Rook's second chapter and im totally out of supplies. Spent too much reknown on items i think. Am i boned?

Bioware can keep their 'storytellers' far away from obsidian, thanks.

A lot of the lower-level writers at Bioware (the ones responsible for specific characters' dialog, and sometimes certain scenarios in the games) are as good as anyone in the business. I don't know though if that's a freelance type of position or if they are full-time Bioware employees.

Their head writers and general managers are a bit less impressive, but still produce stories significantly better than the vast majority of AAA games.

A lot of the lower-level writers at Bioware (the ones responsible for specific characters' dialog, and sometimes certain scenarios in the games) are as good as anyone in the business. I don't know though if that's a freelance type of position or if they are full-time Bioware employees.

Their head writers and general managers are a bit less impressive, but still produce stories significantly better than the vast majority of AAA games.

That seems a general trend in the industry.

I swear it's because now people actually go into video games with real writing skills but the guys at the top are at the top in part cause they've been around for ages and so end up being "some guy who was at the company 10 years back who ended up writing the game's story cause no one else wanted to".

I just wanna know why there isn't a new Conker game.

I played Conker when it first came out and I really enjoyed it. I played it again a few years ago and oh man does it ever not hold up. You might want to revisit it at your current age and see if you really do want another one.

I played Conker when it first came out and I really enjoyed it. I played it again a few years ago and oh man does it ever not hold up. You might want to revisit it at your current age and see if you really do want another one.

Gasp!

I have it somewhere, I guess I'll have to dig it out. Weird, I bought it about a year ago and never actually thought to put it in the xbox...

I heard decent things about a game called Journey that was available on the PSN network, so I downloaded it. Four hours later, and I can not even begin to describe my gaming experience, I do not think that I have ever been so immersed in a gaming world. No voices and no "plot". Just art and music and holy crap I am a believer. Has anyone else experienced this game?

Yeah, it was quite the experience. It's weird seeing another player - there's no name, voice chat or anything. You just do a level together, and that's it, see ya later. It was certainly one of the strangest and best games I've played in a while.

'Flower' is a similar type of game from the same developer. I'm not sure how it plays on ps3, as I just got it for ps4. It's quite a simple yet immersive game, like Journey. The last flower colour was strangely moving and uplifting.

When Black Isle split up, the bulk of the team (Feargus Urquhart, Chris Avellone, Tom Sawyer) reformed almost immediately as Obsidian. Tim Cain (the creator of the Fallout franchise) went off to found Troika and Brian Fargo (the creator of the Wasteland and Bard's Tale franchises), the former head of Interplay (which owned Black Isle), went off to form inXile, along with Colin McComb (who was the #2 designer on Planescape: Torment after Avellone).

Troika were dissolved a few years later and Tim Cain was re-hired by Obsidian whilst they were working on Fallout: New Vegas, maybe a couple of the other ex-Troika guys as well. Obsidian and inXile have been working closely together recently, with Chris Avellone being loaned out to do some work on both Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera (from inXile) and the companies sharing info and tech advice on how to use Unity to create Infinity Engine-style games (which Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity and inXile's Torment are both using). In a joint interview with people from both teams, it was suggested that them merging back into one company might be a good idea and, surprisingly candidly, they've said it's something they've looked at and would consider if the circumstances were right.

Meanwhile, Interplay itself - which has existed as a rump, rights-management company for years - has said it is refounding Black Isle, using two fairly junior members of the original team. But most people would agree that Obsidian and inXile are pretty much the two real heirs to Black Isle.

As for BioWare, they were founded as an independent company who were contracted to Interplay to do a few games for them and got some technical assistance from Black Isle, particularly on BG2, but BioWare were never part of Black Isle itself. It might be some other ex-Islers have ended up at BioWare over the years.

Bioware got the storytellers, Obsidian got the designers

Urgh, no. Obsidian's writers and storytellers are widely-regarded as the best in the business (Avellone is frequently cited - including by me :) - as the finest Western CRPG writer in the business, and Cain and McComb aren't too far behind) and BioWare's are...not. BioWare's best writers and designers have left over the past few years, most notably Drew Karpyshyn who co-created Mass Effect (and a lot of the problems in the third game can be laid at him being transferred from ME3 to The Old Republic) and three guys in particular who hated working on The Old Republic so much they left, formed Stoic Studios, made The Banner Saga and are currently basking in the glow of critical adulation and a sweet amount of game sales on Steam.

Archived