THE X-FILES returns, in HD and widescreen

Werthead

If Chris Carter actually has a well thought-out idea/concept for a mini-series, I'd be all for this. I'm not entirely certain he does though and I'd rather do without rather than have some convoluted (although that would be an homage) retread.

If it's basically the end of the story begun in the original series and can give some closure to that, great. If it's just an attempt to recapture the early magic of the series with a few stand-alone mysteries they shouldn't bother.

If it's basically the end of the story begun in the original series and can give some closure to that, great. If it's just an attempt to recapture the early magic of the series with a few stand-alone mysteries they shouldn't bother.

Exactly. Wasn't the final episode of the show constantly mentioning some future date? I did a quick check and it was "colonisation" on Dec 22nd 2012. If they were to follow up on that having already occurred, I could see an interesting story as we'd see what's happened 3 years post-colonisation and Mulder and Scully would have to deal with the fact they utterly failed in preventing it. Assuming "colonisation" is outright a "bad" thing.

Yeah, I'd watch that. I think my tastes and TV in general has matured beyond monster of the week now though.

Wasn't the final episode of the show constantly mentioning some future date? I did a quick check and it was "colonisation" on Dec 22nd 2012. If they were to follow up on that having already occurred, I could see an interesting story as we'd see what's happened 3 years post-colonisation

Or they could just set it in 2012; either would work fine, I think.

This baffles me. The X-Files was very much a product of its time, and while there are episodes which STILL stand up as quality pieces of television, as a whole, its attempt at long-storm storytelling was a muddled mess even at the time. The concept underlying the X-Files definitely has some juice left in it, but the idea that we need to go back, over 10 years later, to wrap up the long-form narrative that long since spiraled out of control and into absurdity, makes no sense to me.

This baffles me. The X-Files was very much a product of its time, and while there are episodes which STILL stand up as quality pieces of television, as a whole, its attempt at long-storm storytelling was a muddled mess even at the time. The concept underlying the X-Files definitely has some juice left in it, but the idea that we need to go back, over 10 years later, to wrap up the long-form narrative that long since spiraled out of control and into absurdity, makes no sense to me.

Any and all TV shows that still have any cult following or cultural cache must be brought back immediately in an attempt to lure viewers back who are increasingly spread out among dozens if not hundreds of viewing platforms. Nostalgia is powerful, and nothing brought back surprises me anymore.

Hopefully one big story with that episode order.

"The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories."

Maybe I'm reading too much into that line, but it doesn't sound like it will be one big story.

Do you believe in David Duchovny? The "X-Files" star told David Letterman last night that both FBI Assistant Director Walter Skinner (Mitch Pileggi) and Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis) will return for the show's upcoming six-episode revival series.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/david-duchovny-walter-skinner-and-cigarette-smoking-man-are-returning-to-x-files#jewgaVpIL41TsWgX.99

I thought the smoking man was dead.

• 3 months later...

Maybe I'm reading too much into that line, but it doesn't sound like it will be one big story.

Good point. I'm sure there's an arc. Otherwise, why bother making 6 old school episodes?

It's that long since the show ended I have little clue of what was happening. I'd consider a rewatch but I'm fairly confident it would only succeed in making my confusion more fresh. I wonder if there's a "mythology" episode list out there? I'm  sure there were only about 6 per season and I bet even they could be excised if being harsh. I could probably do 20 episodes of key episodes - even if I'd be better off simply watching the great stand-alones.

Which may be a good reason why they may just do 6 stand-alone episodes...

• 5 months later...

Get ready for the X-Files mini-series with this 21-minute featurette

Be warned — the featurette is full of spoilers for both the series' original run as well as the new episodes. There are some plot details, Carter promises a "twist" in the mythology, there are a few solid glimpses of one of the new monsters, and we also learn that one of the major characters in the series' mythology — who was thought to be dead — is still alive.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived