THE X-FILES returns, in HD and widescreen

Werthead

Ugh. That was terrible. The mythology episodes have been poorly paced, poorly written, and woefully under-realized crocks of shit this season. The other episodes were fine, with the Weremonster and the Trashman episodes being my favorite, but they were capped off on both ends by two of the worst X-Files episodes I've ever seen. Not only did they suck in and of themselves, but they also had the luxury of invalidating 9 prior seasons of conspiracies and revelations. I'm not even sure WHY Carter would want to come back and revisit this if his whole 'plan' was just to take a giant dump on everything. I'm assuming Fox wanted to capitalize on the blu-ray releases of the series and gave Carter a big wad of money and that was enough to get those 'creative' juices flowing. Add one dash of the post-911 right wing bullshit factory and voila, new X-Files episodes.

If this comes back for another season I have no idea if I'll watch it or not, but the bad taste left by these mythology episodes is pushing me in a 'hell no' direction.

I knew that X-Files was going to be my giulty pleasure show for this year. Didn't expect anything and was mildly surprised they were able to carve out a few decent episodes from the mess that the return/new conspiracy created which in my opinion was simply impossible to avoid (not to say they couldn't have done better) . It was nice to see Anderson and Duchovny together on screen again.

was this debacle the reason why Robbie Amell bailed on Firestorm? That sucked like an industrial Dyson

Agent Einstein?... I truly hope that whoever decided to go with that bursts an aneurism ...

The closest analogy I can think of is the band Asia... an awesome group of musicians whose fans were exited to see.... and who went out of their way to take their fans for granted and took the money...

4 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

was this debacle the reason why Robbie Amell bailed on Firestorm? That sucked like an industrial Dyson

Agent Einstein?... I truly hope that whoever decided to go with that bursts an aneurism ...

The closest analogy I can think of is the band Asia... an awesome group of musicians whose fans were exited to see.... and who went out of their way to take their fans for granted and took the money...

I know right? Lol

I completely forgot that was the character's real name and thought Skinner was taking a shot at her in the finale. So stupid. 

• 5 months later...

just finished watching it and it was truly painful. My main worry is the possibility it was always that bad and that TV and my own tastes have just improved over the years. I hope this was just a terribly executed return though. Seemed like a real waste of Gillian Anderson's talents although she soldiered on throughout. Duchovny seemed to know the whole thing was hokey as F*ck and treat it all as a bit of a joke.

Not really anything of merit. The were-man episode was at least fun and not taking itself seriously. I also loved the PCR CRISPR and gel running scene in the final episode. Always run a positive control Scully - otherwise that blank gel could just be the fact you have a hasty student doing experiments for you.

They still had the nerve to end it on a cliffhanger though. They have no shame. I guess Chris Carter has cooked something up for Mulder and Scully's son (who I'd completely forgotten about) given the amount of focus the story had on him.

2 minutes ago, red snow said:

just finished watching it and it was truly painful. My main worry is the possibility it was always that bad and that TV and my own tastes have just improved over the years.

I bought the nine-season box set last year. Watched the first few episodes, but ... nope.

Though, the box set is quite heavy. It comes in handy when I need to chock open my back door when it's windy.

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I bought the nine-season box set last year. Watched the first few episodes, but ... nope.

Though, the box set is quite heavy. It comes in handy when I need to chock open my back door when it's windy.

This was my fear. I guess it was a product of its time and I was just a teenager. Then again there were other shows around at the time that were still strong on a later rewatch eg Babylon 5.

I think it'd be better to point people in the direction of "fringe" when asking whether they should watch X-files now.

7 minutes ago, red snow said:

This was my fear. I guess it was a product of its time and I was just a teenager. Then again there were other shows around at the time that were still strong on a later rewatch eg Babylon 5.

I think it'd be better to point people in the direction of "fringe" when asking whether they should watch X-files now.

Took me a couple of attempts to get into Fringe. But it was definitely worth it. Love that show.

Fringe is very much The X-Files done right, even if the tone and writing aren't quite as impressive as The X-Files at its very best. But as a cohesive, well-put-together and brilliantly-acted show with a clear beginning, middle and end, it destroys most other SFF shows outright.

I've also heard similar things about Person of Interest, but apparently that's a bit more removed from The X-Files paradigm.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Fringe is very much The X-Files done right, even if the tone and writing aren't quite as impressive as The X-Files at its very best. But as a cohesive, well-put-together and brilliantly-acted show with a clear beginning, middle and end, it destroys most other SFF shows outright.

I've also heard similar things about Person of Interest, but apparently that's a bit more removed from The X-Files paradigm.

It's different subject matter but POI does have a premise that allows it to be "case of the week" while having an overarching story too.

9 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Took me a couple of attempts to get into Fringe. But it was definitely worth it. Love that show.

The first few episodes did feel a bit too much like X-files and I thought I had the characters pegged. Luckily it also had larger stories taking place and the characters turned out quite different - partucularly that of the Dad (John Noble) who turned out to be far more than an evil mad scientist.

Fringe had like one really good season / plotline. The beginning and the end are pretty weak, in my opinion. Though X-Files wasn't that consistent either, and I'd like to pretend it ended even a couple seasons before Mulder left. 

Still though there are some X-Files episodes that I'll just put on occasionally because they're just great. I don't feel the same way about any Fringe episodes. (Though if anyone has suggestions of great monster of the week fringe episodes I'd love to try them again.) 

Also it always bothered me that they had that lame "Peter is in danger being back in Boston because he had fled from some bad people" plotline in the first couple seasons and then just abandoned it. Also at one point I swear to god he says of a monster of the week: "His addiction to dreams became his nightmare." I still laugh thinking of that horrible line. 

• 7 months later...

'The X-Files' Returning For New Event Series Next Season

After all the teasing and complex corporate conversations, the truth is finally out there today – The X-Files is coming back for the 2017-2018 season.

Just more than three years after the last revival of the Chris Carter-created series was announced, Fox said Thursday a new 10-episode run of the Gillian Anderson- and David Duchovny-starrer is set to start production this summer.

Technically the 11th season of The X-Files, this new run will air on Fox’s schedule either later this year or early next

• 5 months later...

I'm hoping it's better than Season 10. I fear that this revival is leaning far too much on the shitty plot developments late in the original series long after 70%+ of the audience who enjoyed Seasons 1-4 (or thereabouts) had checked out.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally got around to this. I've only watched seven of the ten episodes. I thought the first three were really bad. There were moments where it seemed like Duchovny was in "parody episode mode" when the script was aiming for total seriousness. Plus the first episode makes it clear that Carter had no plan when he wrote the end of season ten. 

That said, episodes four (the Darin Moragn one) and seven (pretty much a Black Mirror episode filtered through the lens of the X-Files) were great and enough to justify the whole season. The other two were alright. 

Archived