Sam Will Die....

redguy1

I can't help shake the feeling that Sam will die before the end of the series. he may be fat cowardly and useless at fighting, but he is still a lovable character. With that said he is a dead man in my mind. He may have killed an other, but as we see with other great accomplishments from other characters: being victorious and/or honorable gets you killed later (or in dondarrion's case over and over). I have a few theories on this, but i won't waste my time on all of them. I will restrict it to just one of them (the most probable).

When he first enters the citadel he is told not to speak of magic and dragons since the higher ranking maesters have no place for that in the world they want to build. However, the people who tell him this are plotting themselves. i think he will be killed by this group. he is honorable and if we learned anything from the other honorables (Eddard, Robb, Sir Rodrik, almost Brienne, and maybe Jon snow): that the people who you think you can trust will kill you.

Someone please agree with me on this (it doesn't have to be the theory just the fact that sam is dead meat).

I agree that Marwyn is playing his own game and probably lied about the other maesters trying to kill Sam if he spoke of magic or dragons. He wants him to keep quiet. Probably because the other maesters would sabotage his own magic-related plans.

But I don't think that means he'll try to kill Sam.

And I also don't think that Sam is dead meat, because he's a likable character. Yes, George kills the nice guys now and than, but it's not as simple as "the good guys die, the bad guys live."

I actually think, that Sam has a good chance of sticking around a good while longer, my guess would be that he'll survive the next book. He's an underdog character with a unique way of looking at things and a lot of knowledge. He can teach us more about history, and ATM he's our only pair of eyes in Oldtown.

As to the end of the series, who knows who'll still be alive then. I won't make any bets on that.

Sam may well die before all is said and done, but I doubt it'll be because of something as simple as he's a nice guy or because the fans like him. GRRM is rarely so simplistic in his motivations as to say 'he's a good guy, his death warrant is already signed.'

Personally, I don't think Sam will be killed off.

Well given Martins style of writing dating back to his books from the 70's he tends to kill off most of his characters, no matter how important people think they are, or how much they like them.

If he had written The Lord of the rings, Gandalf dies, Frodo gives into the ring way early and starts secretly killing the fellowship. The Charge of the Rohan is an epic fail, Sam tracks Frodo to the black Gate, the battle of the black gates is lost, Frodo, and Sam fall into the Volcano fighting over the ring, but the ring falls into the hands of Gollum who decides to contemplate what the ring has done to him and wrights a book, "Fresh fish the best dish."

Sam has a chance to live, but there are probably a couple years left for the story of Westeros, but the slaughter begins in the next book. Min of at least a half dozen POV's or major supporting characters are going to die, no question. The Greyjoys have 4 POV's that is going down to at least 2, Starks Have 3 POV's and Jon, Rick and Cat. Time to really thin out that heard. People like Osha, Hodor and Jojen, characters like Hotah and Mel are not making it to the end, Davos? Yeah by Davos, Bree and Jaime no chance they live, no chance. I don't see many people making it, and Westeros is probably doomed. The killing is a coming, that's what Martin does. By the time he is done the fans will not care about the Iron throne, crowns, or power, you will just be begging for your favorite character to make it. There will probably be an epilogue so someone will make it but that is going to be a dead party and it won't be Sam, that would just be to much of LOTR rip off. Probably Bran or Rickon, and I will mark it down right now, Arya and Sansa are not both going to make it, chances are they both get nailed. And make sure you know this, the more you are attached to a character the more he makes them likable, the higher the chance is they are going to die. The dude is like Cartman he wants to lick your sweet sweet tears.

I respectfully disagree.

I think that Sam will excel in the Citadel with his studies.

Now, Sam was instructed by Jon Snow to learn all he could and to return back to the Wall. But, I believe that was a contradiction on Jon Snow's part because he had Gilly and Mance Rayder's baby sail off with Sam. And correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Jon Snow give Sam a farewell goodbye as if to say "Live your life now Sam. You have your whole life ahead of you."

I got the impression that Jon Snow kind of half-heartedly commanded Sam to come back to the Wall.

But anyway, Sam will survive.

I respectfully disagree.

I think that Sam will excel in the Citadel with his studies.

Now, Sam was instructed by Jon Snow to learn all he could and to return back to the Wall. But, I believe that was a contradiction on Jon Snow's part because he had Gilly and Mance Rayder's baby sail off with Sam. And correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Jon Snow give Sam a farewell goodbye as if to say "Live your life now Sam. You have your whole life ahead of you."

I got the impression that Jon Snow kind of half-heartedly commanded Sam to come back to the Wall.

But anyway, Sam will survive.

He did plan for Sam to come back. He was to leave Gilly and the boy at Horn Hill if I recall correctly.

But I agree on your prediction, that Jon and Sam will never see each other again. These "yeah goodbye, see you in a few months/years" somehow never come to pass in ASoIaF.

Sam dies, most of them will Westeros is getting the hammer dropped on it. The title of the series is based off a poem about death and destruction, the country is called Westeros, and the sun is setting on it's story. At best you can hope that Sam has an ambiguous ending, you won't know if he made it, but you can still hope.

Writers have a style, and that is Martins style, always has been. He has even told you that. I suggest you read a Song for Lya and Dying of the light. Dying of the light where 14 noble house fight amongst themselves on a dying world. Here is a hint, they don't make it.

You can hope all you want, but don't pretend this is not what Martin does. This is exactly what he does. Why do you think the last book is called a dream of spring? Because that is all it will be, a dream.

This is a series about the ending of a country. Things are not getting better, they are getting worse.

Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I’ve tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

Valyria ended in fire, now it's time for Ice. Valyria in the east, and Westeros in the west. The title of the book is based off the world ending.

The book dying of the light. Same thing.

Do not go gentle into that good night

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

The did not go gently but they went.

Even though honourable people die, Sam has managed to show a bit of cunning like when he helped Jon to become LC. That probably wasn't 'honourable' in a way, nor was breaking his vows technically even if most of them do it, but he tends to try and do the right thing nevertheless, although if it was for a greater good I wouldn't put it past him to sort of do the thing that would be seen as less honourable.

Anyway, I think he might make it actually and end up becoming a maester with the potential to rise to a high position.

Archived