Sam Will Die....

redguy1

Samwell Tarly will survive as Samwise Gamgy did! With his wisdom and his knowledge (especially about Dragons and the Others) he has many help to give and many problems will be solved with his help yet! I imagine Danaerys and Tyrion coming to Oldtown (directed by Marwyn or the need to solve some riddles about dragons with the help of a certain book to be found in the Citadel etc.) and meet Sam there who can tell them what is going on at the Wall....

I imagine a long life for Maester Samwell...either in Oldtown (or its remnants) as Archmaester of the Citadel..or in KL helping to rule the Kingdom (or the 7 kingdoms or whatever will remain) with his wisdom. Amen!

One of my two predictions for "The last chapter of the last book" is a distant future chapter revealing that everything we've read has just been one big historical archive called On The War Of The Five Kings, and The Second Long Night, cataloged by Arch Maester Samwell (nee Tarly), who has just finished after years of compiling the personal anecdotes of himself, his friends, and anyone he could manage to interview (i.e. most of the POV characters).

He dedicates it to Bran (who was of course a massive help).

So yeah, Sam is on my short list of characters I feel are virtually guaranteed to live. Or at least if Sam does die it'll be in that distant future, keeling over at 95 after finally finishing the damn book (perhaps GRRM taking a jab at us and our own speculation at his own mortal race against time to finish the series).

I actually think Sam has one of the best chances out of any character to survive the series.

This. If we were making wagers about who would survive the last two books, my money would be on Sam.

In fact, why the hell aren't we doing that???

Sam dies, most of them will Westeros is getting the hammer dropped on it. The title of the series is based off a poem about death and destruction, the country is called Westeros, and the sun is setting on it's story. At best you can hope that Sam has an ambiguous ending, you won't know if he made it, but you can still hope.

Writers have a style, and that is Martins style, always has been. He has even told you that. I suggest you read a Song for Lya and Dying of the light. Dying of the light where 14 noble house fight amongst themselves on a dying world. Here is a hint, they don't make it.

You can hope all you want, but don't pretend this is not what Martin does. This is exactly what he does. Why do you think the last book is called a dream of spring? Because that is all it will be, a dream.

This is a series about the ending of a country. Things are not getting better, they are getting worse.

Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I’ve tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

Valyria ended in fire, now it's time for Ice. Valyria in the east, and Westeros in the west. The title of the book is based off the world ending.

The book dying of the light. Same thing.

Do not go gentle into that good night

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

The did not go gently but they went.

^^ yup. It's long been my theory that A Song of Ice and Fire isn't about the characters but about the balance. This is the story to restore the balance, hence why the cause of the imbalance must be destroyed: Man.

And I also don't think that Sam is dead meat, because he's a likable character. Yes, George kills the nice guys now and than, but it's not as simple as "the good guys die, the bad guys live."

:agree:

Given how shocking it is that GRRM is willing to kill protagonists, it's easy to forget how many of the bad guys die truly miserable deaths: Vargo Hoat being mutilated and fed to himself, Tywin on the privy, Joffrey choking to death at his own wedding banquet, Shagwell the psychotic fool dying after digging a grave for the man that he killed, Armory Lorch gets thrown into the bear pit, Janos Slynt gets beheaded at the wall. The list goes on and on. Funny thing: we don't have a lot of threads with titles like "Where did Joffrey go wrong?" or "What was Tywin's biggest flaw?" because we're kinda glad that they're dead.

It's a mistake to think that GRRM thinks that good guys finish last. GRRM's most gruesome message is also his most Christian one: God makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous (Matthew 5:45). Oh, the irony.

Sam will survive. One of the biggest incongruities in ASoIaF is how craven people take Sam to be, including himself. He's actually as brave as any character in the book. Like Brienne, Sam's opponents will always underestimate him. GRRM doesn't kill any main characters so long as they're being underestimated. That's also how we know that Roose is no longer safe: since he's come into his own, nobody is underestimating him.

Archived