Nobody Seems To Be Taking The Others Seriously

Winterfell Resident

Am I only the one in these forums who believes that the downplaying of the Others for the past 5 books was done deliberately by GRRM so much that it will make all of the past books pale in comparison?

I am thinking that it's more than just the wight walkers but that there is a truly Evil force behind them that if unleashed will not only effect Westeros but everybody else as well(Essos, Sothryos, etc.)

The Others are no joke and are nothing to be played with.

I don't believe that Daenerys and her dragons are enough to stop this evil force.

That's why I think it will be a coordinated effort between Daenerys, her Dragons, Bran and maybe others.

Also, I believe that major characters will die because of the Others.

I don't think the battle will be restricted to the wall, I believe it will be South of the Wall, perhaps even as far as Kings Landing.

All the moves that major characters have been doing such as Varys, Little Finger, Cersei, Olenna Tyrell, Daenerys, The Faith, Doran Martell, Walder Frey, Roose Bolton, etc., will be all for NOTHING.

if and when the Others break through the wall and head south, they will lay down a path of destruction that will be difficult to stop.

Think about it.

If a person is killed by a Wight Walker they become a wight walker.

Jon Snow made mention of this when he ordered the rescue of the remaining Wildlings in the caves beyond the wall. if they begin dying off then they will become wight walkers themselves.

The people that are south of the wall are totally oblivious to the Others, I believe The Winds Of Winter will make the first 3 books feel like you were reading children stories.

I am not kidding. I don't think anybody is taking the Others seriously.

Even with the combine powers of Daenerys, Bran, Children of the Forest, maybe Jon and some other people, I don't think it will be a walk in the park. I believe that major characters in the book will die because of the Others that you would have never expected to die.

I believe we need to take the Others a lot more seriously.

Does anybody else feel that the Others are being taken lightly?

This is the Song of Ice and Fire, not the Game of Thrones, both elements must be in balance, for a victory by Fire would be just as terrible as one by Ice. Nevertheless I'm confident that we will find the Game of Thrones to be relevant to the outcome; and no I'm not talking about certain characters being recognised as Azor Ahai, the Prince that was Promised or even Rumpelstiltskin. The Starks are bound as deeply to Ice as the Targaryens are to Fire and Qhorin Halfhand's warning holds true - the Old Powers are awakening and old allegiances will be tested or honoured - and the Wall must fall: Blood built it, Blood stopped the building of it, and Blood will bring it down. Black will be its fall.

BTW: white Walkers and wights are not one and the same. The wights are dead things, but their masters, the white walkers, are not dead.

Good post!

I think GRRM has made is so that even the reader is underestimating the Others. Those who know in series and understand the peril Westeros is in are doing what they can; however, they do not have the necessary resources to make a difference. I think the Others will have to go South before the rest of Westeros truly understands what is at stake, by then it'll be too late for a lot of people.

As for the actual Other - I think they are quite evil at least from his description:

"They swept over holdfasts and cities and kingdoms, felled heroes and armies by the score, riding their pale dead horses and leading hosts of the slain. All the swords of men could not stay their advance, and even maidens and suckling babes found no pity in them. They hunted the maids through frozen forests, and fed their dead servants on the flesh of human children. "

The Game of Thrones is the real red herring of the series.

But conversely:

Here is what George said, in one e-mail: 'The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous.”

I also think that the Wall will fall and that the Others will get to Kings Landing, affecting on who sits the Iron Throne in the end. The vision Dany had in the HU ("a blue-eyed king with a red sword in his hand who cast no shadow") together with the scene in the GoT TV series where she gets to the throne room and it's snowing might indicate that it will be winter when Dany finally gets there and the Others will have arrived. Maybe Stannis will be the one there at this point but already dying/a wight (??). Though I know that the TV series scene might not be a clue to interpret what will happen.

Or maybe I'm wrong :dunno:

I think the Others, like dragons, obviously have many things that are misunderstood. Such as" their properties, their motivations, and their creation. I think it's unfair to say they haven't been "taken seriously" in the book, simply because many of the other characters have no reason to believe in them, and if they did, are currently dealing with other personal matters. Anyone who has actually SEEN the Others, take them vey, very, very seriously. Such as Stannis, the Wildings, the Nightswatch, etc.

Sucks for me then. I have precisely 0% interest in the Others or their invasion and the coming apocalypse. If I wanted that I'd read any number of countless generic fantasies. I guess the entire reason I started watching the show then reading the books - the politics and real-world people struggles - won't matter. Oh well.

Stannis' eyes are blue anyway, even without him being a wight. All Baratheons have black hair and blue eyes, that's an actual plot point back in AGoT :P

I'm not saying he become a wight because it's said this man's eyes are blue (since I know they were already blue). I'm talking about the "cast no shadow" + snowing part that Dany sees and that IMHO maybe Stannis becomes a wight or dies when he gets to KL and winter comes.

Sucks for me then. I have precisely 0% interest in the Others or their invasion and the coming apocalypse. If I wanted that I'd read any number of countless generic fantasies. I guess the entire reason I started watching the show then reading the books - the politics and real-world people struggles - won't matter. Oh well.

I think the politics will matter until the very bitter end, but the Others matter as well and will be causing much more trouble then we've already seen, specially considering the Wall's situation by the end of ADWD.

I don't think the others will end up becoming the "big bad" I suspect they might have a human alliance a one point.

This is what GRRM said of heroes and villains.

Someone once said that the villain is the hero of the other side. The reverse must be true as well.-GRRM

Jon,Stannis and Mance are taking the Others very seriously indeed.If you view their seemingly contradictory actions in this light you may be able to make sense of their actions.

All three see the Others as the "true enemy".

Do you know that for sure, TGFTV? Maybe it's not that simple. I mean, does he have NO shadow already because he produced some shadow babies? Will he have more shadow babies by TWoW?

Anyway, this thread is not about Stannis, heh.

Archived