[Spoilers] HBO's True Detective discussion thread

Mark Antony

We know that's what Rust thinks of them, but that's not necessarily what we've been shown. Whigham's preacher is really the only character they spent any time with, and he seems like a perfectly decent evangelist type (as decent as they get at least). The two women Rust talked with didn't appear overtly ignorant, desperate or dupable. The only one who clearly fit into that description was the guy who had been castrated, and it's already been suggested he's just straight up mentally handicapped, and the revivalists took him in as an act of kindness.

As for other religious figures - the black pastor in the first or second episode also seemed like a perfectly decent guy.

I also thought the guys who helped push the detectives car out of the mud appeared to be perfectly reasonable folk as well. I agree that it's a collection of scenes where you see what you want to see. In this case we are all expecting them to be a bunch of freaky religious folks because a) it's what Rust insinuates and B) it's what we expect because it's a serial killer show with religious connections.

The preacher seems like a con-artist but that doesn't mean his follows (or he himself) are really bad,

I'd also argue that Rust would recognize it in "fostering mutual aide and community interaction and collaboration." but his point is that it's all founded on a lie and the hope of something better (or the threat of something worse)

Edit for the dreaded B) emoticon instead of B) - fuck it that face means point b.

I liked that Rust demonises religious folk for their methods, but uses the exact same methods to get confessions out of criminals.

Its also amusing that he calls them self-centered, deluded and self-righteous for believing they have a special connection with the divine, while in the episode before he said there were times he believed he had a personal 'main line to the universe' through his literal hallucinations.

Can't help but think that the "were times" part of that suggests a critical recognition that he did not in fact have a special connection despite feeling that way "in the moment".

He's just as much a biological puppet as anyone else, but just believes he's more aware of that fact.

Can't help but think that the "were times" part of that suggests a critical recognition that he did not in fact have a special connection despite feeling that way "in the moment".

He's just as much a biological puppet as anyone else, but just believes he's more aware of that fact.

Maybe.

But then again I think he's still not so sure himself about that either way.

In that way he's kind of like Capt. Ahab "gifted with the high perception," and lacks "the low, enjoying power; damned, most subtly and most malignantly! damned in the midst of Paradise!"

I've seen the first two episodes of this and I think it is really good. It's some of the best first two episodes I've seen of any series. Everything fits together well, and I enjoy the dark pessimistic feel coupled with the beautiful shots of nature and the towns.

I hope it's some kind of twist, but not something too far out there.

This is the best series of this year and maybe it'll even end up beating last year too for me. I think this might end up in my top 5 series ever if it keeps the quality to the last episode.

I liked that Rust demonises religious folk for their methods, but uses the exact same methods to get confessions out of criminals.

I think he almost has more of a problem with those who fall for such methods as opposed to those using them.

He uses it as a public service rather than for his own personal gain. Although you could argue a preacher helps the community whilst lining his pocket and Rust gets the pat on the back for conviction rates.

I do hope we see Rust interview someone else though. I thought the implication was that he finds out what makes someone tick and breaks them down with it. In this case it just happened to be religion - which obviously tied in with the other scene that much better.

That is one of my favorite phrases of pessimism ever. Biological Puppet.

Brilliant writing on this show.

The one about being a father was well-done too.The hubris it must take to yank a soul out of non existence, into this, meat.

So I read Nic Pizzolatto's debut (and I believe only) novel, Galveston. Bought the Kindle copy (it's currently $2.99 in the U.S.) around eight at night, finished it by four in the morning (I'm currently recovering from minor surgery so I have some free time). It hooked me instantly, it's a quick and easy read, and I thought it was quite good. Not mind-blowing or anything, but extremely solid with a few flashes of greatness. There were many similarities to True Detective. It's set in the south, it has a rather bleak tone/story, and the characters/plot was actually quite stereotypical on the surface, yet he adds incredible depth and realness to the characters and the execution of the story in general makes the cliche veneer a positive quality. Just like True Detective, the two main characters are something we've seen a million times before, but their depth and psychology is heavily explored in great way. The novel honestly gave me a great confidence that we're just seeing the tip of the ice-berg with True Detective, and it's really going to be something special.

It's funny too because the way Pizzolatto describes the landscape of the different states is like a prose version of the imagery we see in TD. After reading this I have no doubt that he must've had an enormous influence on cinematography (which really isn't also common with writers in filmmaking --I know they cite him as the creator of the show, but is he basically the showrunner or co-showrunner of it with heavy creative control?).

I highly suggest that anyone who likes TD to give Galveston a try, at least the sample. It's a steal at $2.99.

That the woman in the middle picture was marked by "The King"?

oops, I didn't scroll down and only saw the first picture

sorry I'm forgetful (and I've watched each episode twice), whose diary is that? who are they talking to with the tatoo? and is Rust reading from the same diary in the third image?

Cool, I saw the stars on her and thought it was an odd placement for a tattoo - but I've seen stranger, so I shrugged it off.

Would be pretty sweet if that connected up.

Hells, at this rate we'll be going frame-by-frame like the Zapruder film, :wacko:

oops, I didn't scroll down and only saw the first picture

sorry I'm forgetful (and I've watched each episode twice), whose diary is that? who are they talking to with the tatoo? and is Rust reading from the same diary in the third image?

The diary is the murder victim's (Dora's), and yes, that's what Rust was reading from.

The woman with the tattoo was (I believe) one of the first people they spoke to directly about Dora's murder. I remember she was very upset about it (I also believe she was also the first to tell them that Dora had been going to church, but she couldn't remember where).

Archived