[Spoilers] HBO's True Detective discussion thread

Mark Antony

It's funny too because the way Pizzolatto describes the landscape of the different states is like a prose version of the imagery we see in TD. After reading this I have no doubt that he must've had an enormous influence on cinematography (which really isn't also common with writers in filmmaking --I know they cite him as the creator of the show, but is he basically the showrunner or co-showrunner of it with heavy creative control?).

I highly suggest that anyone who likes TD to give Galveston a try, at least the sample. It's a steal at $2.99.

I think in one of the interviews with him he states the reason he was never interested in selling this as a film was because he wanted control over the project. It's generally accepted in TV that the main writer is the showrunner and has far more creative control/input than the director. In film the director wields the most power (no idea why this is the case). It's why there's sometimes a disconnect between TV screenwriters and their film work.In most cases the TV showrunner ahs to become a director first to maintain the same level of control. Whedon is a good example look at the films he wrote and then look at the films he directed. It's also why Whedon still loves TV.

I'll have a look into the book it seems intriguing to say the least.

One thing I noticed on a re watch of ep.1, was how hart was trying to convince his boss to keep him and rust on the case, while looking very suspect in doing so. And, hart never says one negative thing about rust, after being very pissed on his views, to his boss during that conversation.

I do hope that the show does pay off some of these little clues and they're not just accidents.

I can't imagine that these are coincidental. The only way there's not going to be a payoff is if they run out of time (episodes) and some of the follow through ends up on the cutting room floor. Though I suppose with only 8 episodes to work with, that is a possibility. :frown5:

And, hart never says one negative thing about rust, after being very pissed on his views, to his boss during that conversation.

I think that's one of the unwritten rules of copdom. You never throw your partner under the bus. Not to your boss, not to your co-workers, not even to your spouse. It's supposed to be a sacred trust of sorts.

The one about being a father was well-done too.The hubris it must take to yank a soul out of non existence, into this, meat.

Yes. And "My daughter saved me of the sin of being a father." (or something like that).

Another great detail someone caught:

http://i.imgur.com/1K14sJI.jpg

Oh, the dark stars rising ..... Good find!

I can't imagine that these are coincidental. The only way there's not going to be a payoff is if they run out of time (episodes) and some of the follow through ends up on the cutting room floor. Though I suppose with only 8 episodes to work with, that is a possibility. :frown5:

I wouldn't worry about that. The season is eight episodes because that's how many episodes it took to dramatize Pizzolatto's script, which was mostly finished before production had even begun. Cable, unlike most network television, doesn't adjust things on the fly. The season is completely mapped out, budgeted, and shot with the entirety of the story fleshed out through the scripts or detailed outlines. Not saying that things don't change during the shoot, but I wouldn't concern myself over whether or not there's going to be resolution at the end of these eight episodes. Pizzolatto & Fukunaga (the director) have talked quite a bit about the fact that there was resolution being one of the big things that attracted them to the anthology format. Apparently, the first three episodes represent act one; the fourth through the sixth represent act two; and the final two episodes are act three.

Off-topic, but I just learned that Fukunaga has been attached to the IT re-make, which is supposed to be adapted as two theatrical films. The guy is an incredible director, and he seems very adept at creating both a sense of place and an atmosphere of dread, so that sounds like a perfect match. I'd prefer to see it done as a mini-series, but as a huge fan of the book, I'll be happy just to see the source material done justice (other than Curry's portrayal of Pennywise, I've never been a big fan of the original mini-series). Paul Giamatti for Pennywise!

Here's a great interview with Fukunaga where he talks at length about True Detective, his work on the IT adaptation, and the future of both the show and his involvement in seasons going forward from January 4th, 2014...

Are you also still hoping to do the two-part It movie?

FUKUNAGA: I am in the midst of rewriting the first script now. We’re not working on the second part yet. The first script is just about the kids. It’s more like Goonies meets a horror film.

As great as Tim Curry was as Pennywise the clown in the TV movie of It, one of the biggest failures of that was the really cheesy creature at the end.

FUKUNAGA: There will be no spider at the end of our movie. We’re definitely honoring the spirit of Stephen King, but the horror has to be modernized to make it relevant. That’s my job, right now, on this pass. I’m working on making the horror more about suspense than visualization of any creatures. I just don’t think that’s scary. What could be there, and the sounds and how it interacts with things, is scarier than actual monsters.

http://collider.com/cary-fukunaga-true-detective-interview/#i5GDJUXt44fc8Jy4.99

Thanks for finding that and sharing it. There are plenty of tasty morsels to chew on when it comes to True Detective, at least this first season.

I can hardly wait for episode 4, where it launches into the Second Act.

I found it interesting to note that True Detective is filmed with 35mm film. So, this makes me wonder about great cinematography (which TD has in abundance) and film choice. Comments? Which do you prefer?

This is from an interview with Fukunaga:

Why did you decide to shoot this on 35mm film?

FUKUNAGA: Film still looks way better than digital. I haven’t had to shoot anything on digital yet, but I think I will with my next film, which is sad. I think it really is the end of film. Nothing looks like film. It adds this other layer of cool to anything. It just looks so much more pretty and so much more dramatic than digital does, for some reason. I don’t know why. People try to describe it all the time, but I don’t think any words really describe it. It just is a better medium for storytelling and for the visual appreciation of it. But, I think we will be the last big show to shoot on film. Everyone else seems to have gone digital.

Read more at http://collider.com/cary-fukunaga-true-detective-interview/#XqWpQ3F7frG877Zo.99

I just finished Galveston as well and liked it quite a bit. Little shakey at first but he improves considerably and noticeably as a writer over the course of the book. He's very good at conjuring a sense of place, a dirty, greasy South, but he does it with what feels like a native's affection (and checking wiki confirms he was raised in New Orleans, which explains it) It's definitely not contempt, I think his love of certain parts and certain things about Louisiana and Texas really comes through, but he isn't blinded by it either.

It also uses the past/present story structure, though it's less prevalent than True Detective.

And having read it, I dont think Pizolatto really shares Cohle's beliefs. That's definitely a character thing rather than authorial opinion, imo. Galveston is bleak and cynical, but not as much as a book written by Rust Cohle would be.

To expand on the black star tattoo bit, I found this on another forum. It shows several shots that mirror the text in the journal:

http://imgur.com/a/P7oGD

It's a big stretch, to be sure, but its another tasty morsel to chew on while we wait for episode 4.

Someone's playing stone skipping on that lake next to the church in the closing scene of episode 2.

Probably Martin's evil daughters of murder. I swear they burned that church.

Great connections with the imagery and the diary, but I don't agree with the last image about 'strange moons'.

Streaks of light that make you feel like you just went into hyperdrive don't necessarily bring strange moons (other than "that's no moon").

I think that may be something we haven't seen yet.

My cousin linked this in FB - some people are more cracked than we are...

Archived