Are you a Male Sansa fan? Please come and tell me why? and is your a female fan also come share the love.

The Weirwoods Eyes

I don't agree at all, I really don't see Sansa looking up to Baelish at all. I wish I hadn't loaned my books out but there is a quote where she defies him in her internal monologue that he is not her father that she is Sansa Stark THE BLOOD OF WINTERFELL. I think she is intelligent enough to nod and smile and bide her time. LF is the one being deceived.

:agree:

I don't agree at all, I really don't see Sansa looking up to Baelish at all. I wish I hadn't loaned my books out but there is a quote where she defies him in her internal monologue that he is not her father that she is Sansa Stark THE BLOOD OF WINTERFELL. I think she is intelligent enough to nod and smile and bide her time. LF is the one being deceived.

I agree with this. I think Sansa will turn the tables on Baelish. I think her time with him is being set up as some kind of test. Will she trust him like Ned and Cat did? I don't think so. I think she will be his undoing, showing us that perhaps Sansa will be a better player than both her parents.

Also, from a literary standpoint, I think Sansa's entire arc has been an exploration of the “damsel in distress”. Except, in real life shining gallant knights don't come to the rescue. The damsel will have to take her own initiative if she wants to be saved. I think Sansa has learned this hard lesson.

I think she will smile all sweet and innocent as she engineers Baelish's trip out the moon door. And Baelish probably won't have any clue to what just happened, until its too late for him. It will make fantastic reading.

I hope you're right. Just remember that the first law of Disney (Wishing will make it so.) doesn't apply to this series. In a traditional Hollywood movie Sansa might open LFs throat right there in the solar. Then again in Hollywood, the great multitude of men are decent human beings and the few players that exist never get laid. IMO reality is otherwise.

I believe that in time she'll come to despise LF for his complete lack of morality. But what is morality? Sansa's still chewing on that one. When last we left our heroine she didn't have a lot of time to ponder.

In any case, in 5-10 years we'll know for sure.

"He bewitched them, Alayne thought as she lay abed that night listening to the wind howl outside her windows."

I am male (and a dragon prince, to boot) and I love Sansa. I honestly don't understand why people can have the level of vitriol they do. She's done two things "wrong" to date and they just hang on those like she was a mass murder.

Sansa will always be in my top five characters bracket.

Honestly, I appreciated the fact that Sansa is just a young child staying strong in a dangerous nest of snakes..etc. But the only time her PoVs were interesting (for me) was when Joffery,Cersei were involved(remember no PoV of Cersei in the earlier books) and later on because I wanted to see Tyrion from a different PoV which was nice.Now,Sansa's PoV is interesting only because of what LF is doing and his inner workings revealed.

Her personal thoughts and feeling didn't really interest me all that much. Infact,I did not realise she had a crush on Hound till I came to the boards.

Both a male and loving Sansa, here.

Personally I fell in love with her for three reasons:

-Unlike many other POVs Sansa's ones do not glorify herself that much

I mean, with Catelyn, Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Jaime (etc. etc... the only exceptions I recall immediately are Davos and probably Arya) the reader is bound to cheer for the main POV, but more importantly all the antagonists are definitely presented as despicable and completely negative against a noble, caring POV or whatever the POV has into his mind.

Especially when speaking about Catelyn or Jaime, this being self-centered... dunno, it throws me off. And the tricky part is that they actually come out as altruistic!

Melisandre and Cersei do the same but from another perspective (you know they are "evil", so you are less likely to be fooled), but this element is still there.

Sansa instead at first looks like a snobby lady, while actually she's one of the very few characters who is more interested in others rather than herself. And the more she progresses, the less bullshit the reader gets. No grandeur, no real bias, but a down-to-hearth girl with her fair share of catastrophes.

Jon (especailly when he's at the Wall), Tyrion, Jaime, Dany etc. all makes it look like they are completely alone and surrounded by problems while in reality they are not.

Sansa's situation, instead, it's exactly like that and yet her main focus isn't on herself but rather on her far away family on whoever is nearby, even on their own problems. To top it all, she has even less means to solve her problems unlike the other POVs.

That takes an amount of bravery and modesty that's rare.

-In a world filled with warriors, sorcerers, assassins, mastermind schemers, psychopaths, dragons and so on she's a beacon of kindness, courtesy and common sense.

Everyone has his "offensive weapon", be it a sword or an army, magic, instict, whatever. Sansa doesn't.

She has an "armor".

Not surprising that between all the females in the whole Asoiaf story, Sansa's the one who is most suited to be a Queen and a guide (beside maybe Margaery? But her character is so ambiguous so I won't continue on that road).

-Her very last line in AGoT is what completely sold me off.

Shivers on my spine, I tell you.

First Post!

I am one of the (apparently) few male Sansa fans in the known universe, and I'm going to have to agree with most of the reasons here.

Unlike most POVs in ASOIAF, Sansa has one of the most "realistic" personalities, and one that I can relate to. The biggest reason I admire her character is her transformation from naive AGoT Sansa (not that I didn't like her in AGoT) to her current personality in AFfC. I've always been a fan of Bildungs Roman style literature, and Sansa is arguably the best example in the series. What I find so strong about her character is that she always manages to find empathy for everyone she encounters, and I admire that characteristic.

After finishing the series in September, Sansa became my favorite character in the entire series (including D&E, etc.) and I'm starting to lose my mind waiting for TWoW.
It's just a shame that 97.86% of Sansa threads are de-railed and locked; there are so many intelligent and valuable things that can be discussed.

To disagree with the OP a bit - she's not overly normal.

She's a 1950's pretty pretty princess whose vanity and naivety destroyed what life of hers wasn't already destroyed by the fact that the pillars of the dreams she had/was led to adopt don't exist in the real world. She is in some ways what would happen if a Disney character came to life and was forced to life in the real world... only exaggerated... and potentially she will learn how to overcome her struggles as well. She is an anti-trope because she is a trope living in a non-trope world. She started as an amalgamation of almost everything wrong with weak female characters in that she vain, attractive, defines herself by those things and wants nothing more from life than a Prince Charming to dote on her as she embroiders napkins and whelps heirs... then she got worse because she was also naive/blind to an absurd degree that bordered on sheer idiocy... and now she is hopefully getting better because she has no other choice in the absence of her dreams and the trappings of having been born into a great house. She's not there yet, however, and her character's journey has been one of the most stereotyped (or reverse stereotyped in some ways) and least normal, imo.

Otherwise, yes I am male but no I don't like Sansa. She may become a character worthy of admiration but as of now she is not. Apart from that, the topic of Sansa is toxic on this forum and I'll stay away from it.

I hate to be judgmental on my first post, but did you read the title of this thread? It states:

Are you a Male Sansa fan? Please come and tell me why? and if your a female fan also come share the love.

For a future reference for anyone who makes a post like this, please make posts that follow the objective of the thread. If the title was "Are you a Male Sansa Hater?" then this post would be constructive. The problem is that it isn't. Lets just acknowledge the purpose of a thread and the environment in which we are posting in before replying to a topic. Just a thought!

Anyway, I've always been a "Sansa Apologist," so I will defend her until my lungs fail.

I hated Sansa at first, she seemed spoiled and had her head in the clouds. Then when she goes behind Ned's back to Cersei it seemed like the ultimate betrayal. But then poor Ned lost his head, and she goes through some of the most awful experiences I can think of a girl her age going through and I started to soften on her. Then in ASOS she becomes the avenue of Joff's demise, and I started to like her. By the end of AFFC she was my favorite part of that novel and I was disappointed that we didn't get more of her POV. I think the reason I like her now is that she's caught up in this terrible whirlwind, but somehow, someway she's keeping it together, and may even start to thrive on the chaos.

Came in to say how much I agree with this:

Anyhow, Sansa is a normal girl, she wishes to fulfil her parents and her societies expectation for her, just like most children do but the dream starts to sour and Sansa finds herself trapped. Her father is beheaded and she begins to live in a gilded cage. She is abused and in fear for her life. I think part of the point of Sansa is to show us that the pretty princess is a person too, she isn't just an accessory, a prize for the hero. She isn't there just to make someone a nice attractive wife once he has shown himself adept enough to save the kingdom.

We grow up with tales of princesses being given to the man who can kill the monster, rid the king of some trouble etc. I am deeply uncomfortable with the idea of women as prizes.

Yet it is something culturally entrenched in our world from the ancient Greeks to the Japan. I often find when I read traditional tales, no matter which culture they have this story of a pretty maid being given as a reward. Hell have you ever stopped to examine the idea of being given away at a wedding? I did and I decided to walk down the aisle un-accompanied, and it freaked people out.

I can't help but feel Sansa is a subversion of these tales, I feel her story is headed towards a place of self realisation, self empowerment and ultimately choice.

This is something that always put me off fairytales and the like.

There are two things that bother me a lot in the "damsel in distress" trope.

First, in the historical/pseudohistorical context of these tales, any kind of person could be found in the sme situation, ie captured and in need of a "knight" to save him/her. But how often do we see an old lady, or a young man, or actually anyone that is not a maiden fair in that situation? Are they not worthy the efforts of the "knight"?

Second, I have always thought that the "hero saves girl and marries her" story as very disrespectful towards women. As if, a woman cannot show gratitude in any other way but only by the means of sexual favors (sugarcoated with true love, as if gratitude *should* be enough to make one fall in love with someone).

And I agree that her story is about self realisation, self empowerment and choice.

However, I don't like the idea of characterizing character paths as traditionally feminine or masculine. I understand that this kind of characterization can be used as a necessary convention, but I think it is wrong. Brienne is not any less feminine in her feelings and wishes, just because she fights with a sword. Sam is not feminine for liking dancing and needlework.

Unfortunatelly, the universal traditionally feminine characterisic has been the deprivation of choice. If Sansa ends up in the traditional lady's role as a result of her own conscious and free choice, it won't really be a "traditionally feminine path" IMO.

By the way, I am a woman and I like Sansa. She may not be my number one, but I have an emotional investment in her character.

I hate to be judgmental on my first post, but did you read the title of this thread? It states:

Are you a Male Sansa fan? Please come and tell me why? and if your a female fan also come share the love.

For a future reference for anyone who makes a post like this, please make posts that follow the objective of the thread. If the title was "Are you a Male Sansa Hater?" then this post would be constructive. The problem is that it isn't. Lets just acknowledge the purpose of a thread and the environment in which we are posting in before replying to a topic. Just a thought!

Anyway, I've always been a "Sansa Apologist," so I will defend her until my lungs fail.

I'll make sure to ask your permission before posting next time. Thanks!

I like character development, which is why I like Sansa Stark. I didn't like the original character (too prissy), but she has evolved into a smart, cautious, young woman who I am now rooting for. And it's because of the character development that has taken place over the years.

Wow, I am so surprised by all the Sansa love in this thread! I hear so much negativity towards her in the podcasts and this is my first foray into the forums and it's nice to hear that other people feel the same way I do. And now I can actually chime in, as opposed to yelling at my iPod. ;)

I like to think that I would be a badass were I a real character in Westeros. An Asha or an Arya. But if I'm being honest with myself, I would definitely be a Sansa. I feel she is a realistic character and I look forward to her chapters very much because I relate to her.

Some of the things she does, especially in Book 1, are infuriating. Especially not standing up for Arya. But I think now, she would in a heartbeat if she had the chance and I have hope that she will be able to be heroic in her own ways in future books.

Wow, I am so surprised by all the Sansa love in this thread! I hear so much negativity towards her in the podcasts and this is my first foray into the forums and it's nice to hear that other people feel the same way I do. And now I can actually chime in, as opposed to yelling at my iPod.

I honestly think this place is somewhat of a safe haven for Sansa fans, Literally everywhere else i've seen her talked about in my experience she has been kinda hated. ....

Archived