Stills from Season 4

Westeros

Nope. Like, Book Daario's three-pronged blue beard-levels of "Nope." Much like said beard, the pink cloaks would look ridiculous on screen.

There's an easy fix to that: just include a scene where Roose, naked and covered in leeches, is having a war meeting with his underlings. No one will think anything of the pink cloak afterwards.

Between his lair being called "The Dreadfort", the flayed man on his sigil, the leeches, the pink cloak, the vampire like description, the pale eyes and the soft voice, Roose in the books is approaching cartoonish super-villain territory. Even his name is sketchy sounding. I think it's good they toned it down a bit.

While we're talking about costumes and their implications, I think it's interesting that from the images that have been released, Tywin will be wearing more colours this season than he has in the past (red at the Wedding, gold when he gives Jaime Oathkeeper) and Tyrion will be wearing more black. Are they suggesting/trying to suggest via costume that Tyrion is/is becoming Tywin writ small? At the very least they're linking the two visually.

Tyrion has been wearing more and more black since Season 2. In Season 2, he wore red leather tunics with black sleeves. In Season 3, he wore black tunics with black sleeves with only slight hints of red at the collar, with the exception of his red tunic at the wedding. In Season 4, from the trailer, it looks like he's wearing all black, with no red accents. It could be a way of linking him to Tywin visually--in the Small Council scene in 3x03 when they're seated across from each other, Tyrion and Tywin are both wearing black tunics with gold clasps--but it could also be a way of signalling (or foreshadowing, at least) Tyrion's downward spiral.

Also Jaime's haircut makes him look more like Tywin as well as more like his dear son Joff.

I really miss long-haired, bearded Jaime, as grimy and gross as he looked for most of Season 3.

It looks like he's keeping at least one of the scars he picked up earlier in the show--that one on his left cheek--and that it hasn't just magically disappeared now that he's back in KL and all cleaned up again, and I appreciate that.

Between his lair being called "The Dreadfort", the flayed man on his sigil, the leeches, the pink cloak, the vampire like description, the pale eyes and the soft voice, Roose in the books is approaching cartoonish super-villain territory. Even his name is sketchy sounding. I think it's good they toned it down a bit.

Agreed. TV Roose is unsettling in a slightly more subtle way; his menace flows not from silly visual shorthands (pink cloaks, vampire-like description) and extremely eccentric personal habits (leeching) but from little hints here and there: his obvious pleasure at torturing Jaime by withholding news of Cersei's fate, his nonchalant attitude towards torture and murder, his conversational musing about having Jaime and Brienne killed, his impeccable poker face, his vicious sense of humour, etc. etc. He's deeply unsettling rather than garishly creepy, and I like it. (Also, Michael McElhatton dominates every scene he's in. His Roose is fantastic.)

. Armitage as Euron...PLEASE!! Euron is described as hot even by people who despise him, so in my mind he's got "cruel beauty" down to an artform. It's a change from the books but I wouldn't mind Victarion being ruggedly easy on the eyes either.

Nope. How about:

Armitage as Victarion.

Viggo Mortensen as Euron.

Current ages of the actors would be a better match. Gravitas of Mortensen as King of the Iron Isles would trump the claims of Victarion and 'Yara' in the eyes of the viewers - also, said gravitas would provoke some emotional turmoil "Wait... I was supposed to hate the Greyjoys and Iron Born wasn't I?" Also, Armitage as Victarion would provoke more justifiable fantasies in viewers of a Victarion/Daenerys union later on.

The budget might not fit a Mortensen in it though, and I'd love to see Armitage in there in any role really.

Nope. How about:

Armitage as Victarion.

Viggo Mortensen as Euron.

Current ages of the actors would be a better match. Gravitas of Mortensen as King of the Iron Isles would trump the claims of Victarion and 'Yara' in the eyes of the viewers - also, said gravitas would provoke some emotional turmoil "Wait... I was supposed to hate the Greyjoys and Iron Born wasn't I?" Also, Armitage as Victarion would provoke more justifiable fantasies in viewers of a Victarion/Daenerys union later on.

The budget might not fit a Mortensen in it though, and I'd love to see Armitage in there in any role really.

Armitage is all wrong for Victarion. Victarion should be played by someone like the most popular fancast, Ray Stevenson, who can play men who are basically dumb brutes but still have a likeability and certain sex appeal about them (oh hi, Titus Pullo!).

Armitage is all wrong for Victarion. Victarion should be played by someone like the most popular fancast, Ray Stevenson, who can play men who are basically dumb brutes but still have a likeability and certain sex appeal about them (oh hi, Titus Pullo!).

Yeah I can see Stevenson do it - but for very different reasons. I never bought into the Victarion as 'dumb brute' thing... and I think having Victarion as 'Pullo II' would be a mistake and general viewers would disengage from his character. If people aren't immersed, it will make untieing the Meerenese Knot even worse than it already is.

Archived