Season Taking over Books..

Usman Mir

I guess season 4 is going to be the last season in which we wont have any spoilers (other than already revealed in the Books).

I can say this as we saw a lot of Theon thing in the season 3 however if we see in the novels after ACOK he just vanished for 2 whole books and then reappeared as a POV in Book 5 so if those who had read only till AFFC and saw season 3 then that was a spoiler for them.

In the same way I think some of the story lines are too less revealed in the novels that will be revealed earlier in the Seasons like Bran meeting BR, in books we see Bran meeting BR at the end of ADWD however in the seasons casting of BR has also been done meaning it will surpass the books. Same can be said about the Jaime/Brienne thing.

I think this season will be the last one that will concord with the books almost entirely but in the next seasons we will definitely see what happens beyond the current latest book events this is if WOW is not released this year.

Agreed. GRRM must hurry up because HBO is catching up with him. AFFC and ADwD can pretty much be shown together in the same 1 or 2 seasons so if he doesn't publish TWoW and ADoS in the next 2 years he'll be in trouble.

TWoW maybe published around the release of season 5 but ADOS will definitely come after season are ended im sure.

I don't think there is any way that GRRM lets HBO dictate the speed of his writing nor do I think that he would allow them to spoil plot lines that have yet to be revealed to his readers.

So what would your solution be? For HBO to pause the show for at least 5 years to give him enough time to finish?

I don't think there is any way that GRRM lets HBO dictate the speed of his writing nor do I think that he would allow them to spoil plot lines that have yet to be revealed to his readers.

The only issue though is that the writers of the show do know the ending - that will get spoiled for all the book readers / show viewers. They bought the rights to the story and I think they can continue even if the books aren't published.

Maybe they'll do a season or two of back story. Imagine full seasons covering RR and Blackfyre rebellion.

that will put the actors all on a hiatus until they are written. They are professionals and need to get paid. Also the child actors will grow up and it will just be a huge gap between when it ends and when it begins. Look at season 2-3. Isaac (the kid who plays Bran) hit puberty and it really noticeable

The show-book dynamic presents several challenges that will arise following season four. First, season five of GoT is going to have to incorporate the first halves of both AFFC and ADWD, as they are presented in essentially congruent timelines. That will leave the show writers with a major dilemma in how to end that season, as there is really no logical major plot point to serve as a denouement of sorts anywhere near the midpoint of either of those novels (as they had the Red Wedding near the middle of ASOS to use for season three). The shows creators have been dreading season five all along for this reason.

As for the show catching up to the books, it seems inevitable, and I really have a hard time seeing a solution. Halting the show's production to wait for GRRM to catch up is sure to be ill-received by pretty much anyone and everyone that cares about the show. However, even though GRRM has told the creators how the major characters' story arcs will play out I doubt they have the gall to go ahead and make the final season(s) without the books being published first as long as GRRM is still alive. It's going to be a difficult situation.

They can't very well put the show on hiatus, as most, if not all of the main billed actors are on contract, not to mention the bad reaction that HBO would receive from viewers and press.

At the same time, however, I know that D&D dread the possibility of overtaking the books as much as GRRM does. it's a bad situation for everyone to be in, and if something can be worked out, it's probably in discussion stages only and not yet ready to put into action. The only realistic option for myself would be to not watch the show until the books are released and read.

that will put the actors all on a hiatus until they are written. They are professionals and need to get paid. Also the child actors will grow up and it will just be a huge gap between when it ends and when it begins. Look at season 2-3. Isaac (the kid who plays Bran) hit puberty and it really noticeable

Aside from Bran and Ayra, the rest of the cast is either in adulthood or can be replaced. (isn't tommen being replaced for the upcoming season anyway?)

With Bran and Arya, after the next few seasons if their appearance changes drastically it wont hamper the show. Both are going to undergo massive character swings. Bran most likely will be mostly CGI as he turns into Tree-bran (although I hope this doesnt happen). Arya will learn to distort her face and look different anyway.

Realistically, there is 3 seasons remaining to cover up to the end of dance. Isaac and Maisie are going to look very different regardless. A lot of the cast can be used for the back stories. Cat, Cersei, Selmy, tywin, Jaime, varys, pycelle, Stanis would all be in roberts rebellion. Since the young actors are going to be older anyway, I'd rather see back story over passing the books.

And there always is the chance that the books and series go in different directions.

The show will spoil broad brush major elements of the story. Take, for example, the conclusion. But the books will be filled with new discoveries and the nuance and subtlety that the shows haven't touched. And aDoS will be published after the show no matter how optimistic you want to be about how fast GRRM writes his books. There will be some things in that book that he won't have even thought of by the time HBO concludes the series.

what we know: season 4 is back half of book 3 (mostly)

what we can assume: Season 5 and 6 are books 4 and 5

He has atleast 3 more years till book 6 must be in the show, more if books 4/5 take up 3 seaons instead of 2.

Then if book 6 can be split up into multiple seasons...

He has plenty of time! (kinda)

He has atleast 3 more years till book 6 must be in the show, more if books 4/5 take up 3 seaons instead of 2.

Only if HBO is willing on making more than 7 - 8 seasons. And they might not be.

Only if HBO is willing on making more than 7 - 8 seasons. And they might not be.

i'd rather have HBO not finish the story then have them ruin the last book.

actually, i am pretty sure everyone on this forum would.

I can't see them NOT willing to make more seasons of their most popular and acclaimed property though as long as there is material.

I can't see them NOT willing to make more seasons of their most popular and acclaimed property though as long as there is material.

There's also a money issue. The individual seasons had really high budgets and you have to wonder how much more HBO cares to spend on it.

The show overtaking the books is inevitable at this point, it pains me to say.

The show will (sensibly) be condensing books 4 and 5 into one season. Season 4 will be the second half of ASOS and the beginnings of AFFC and ADWD, while season 5 will be the rest of AFFC/ADWD. I firmly believe that season 6 will have TWOW material in it.

He has two years, tops.

Archived