Season Taking over Books..

Usman Mir

i'd rather have HBO not finish the story then have them ruin the last book.

actually, i am pretty sure everyone on this forum would.

Your confidence in that belief is mistaken. I'm on this forum, yet I want HBO to continue and show the ending, preferably as close to the one GRRM envisions as possible (and with GRRM continuing to write an episode each season, or even more than one once the show moves beyond the books, so his "voice" is still there). It means that the storylines of ASOIAF will get a conclusion within a few years (the show is expected to run probably for 8 seasons) and it will also stimulate discussion on book storylines, as we get new info from the show (and much discussion about how different or similar the corresponding book storylines will be).

I also don't see how the book can be "ruined" by the show ending first. I re-read books in spite of knowing the ending and having read them before. In this case, the book would no doubt show far more detail and include characters that don't even exist on the show, while parts of the ending may be different. It would still be exciting.

Given the way HBO works, and that they have bought the rights and thus can finish it the way they see fit, they will not halt production of the show to allow GRRM to catch up. He's been writing too slowly for that since ASOS was finished. From recent news, it doesn't seem that he is speeding up after the AFFC/ADWD problems. I guess that TWOW is an enormously complex book to write, with all those sprawling storylines. I also doubt 7 books will suffice, and Martin hasn't promised he will keep it at 7.

Season 4 will not over take the books, though a few elements will be speed up, and remixed.

Season 4 will be mostly the end of book 3, with a few sprinkles from 4 & 5 to balance out the story.

The rest of books 4 & 5 will be shuffled together & made into 2-4 seasons(3 seems like a safe number).

The taking over the book elements of the trailer (dragon shadow & Theon), are all but defiantly misdirection & a combination of flash backs, visions/dreams, and ad only content.

Season 4 will be mostly the end of book 3, with a few sprinkles from 4 & 5 to balance out the story.

The rest of books 4 & 5 will be shuffled together & made into 2-4 seasons(3 seems like a safe number).

Seems like an unrealistic number, to me. I think it will be one season (5) plus parts from the season before that and after, with s4 being mostly ASOS and S6 already containing lots of TWOW.

While the dragon shadow in the trailer is misdirection, I don't think the Theon bits are. We see the Bolton armies meeting, which is a ADWD action.

Seems like an unrealistic number, to me. I think it will be one season (5) plus parts from the season before that and after, with s4 being mostly ASOS and S6 already containing lots of TWOW.

While the dragon shadow in the trailer is misdirection, I don't think the Theon bits are. We see the Bolton armies meeting, which is a ADWD action.

Though people complain about books 4 & 5 dragging things out to much, they are still thick & event filled books. There is more than enough material for 2 seasons, especially with the 3rd being given 2.

Though book's 4 & 5's adaptations will do what was originally intended, and be one combined story. So, yes ADWD parts will likely take part in season 5.

I don't think there is any way that GRRM lets HBO dictate the speed of his writing nor do I think that he would allow them to spoil plot lines that have yet to be revealed to his readers.

The show wont wait. They will spoil the books, Or finish the story completely different then GRRM intended

The show wont wait. They will spoil the books, Or finish the story completely different then GRRM intended

It's unlikely the finish will be completely different. D&D went to GRRM's house for a detailed description of where he wants to end with the books; while D&D may be forced to make changes for practical reasons (or because of the butterfly effects of earlier changes), I doubt they would have gone to that length if they were planning to write an entirely different ending. The main lines will probably be recognisable in the books, once and if the final one gets published.

Your confidence in that belief is mistaken. I'm on this forum, yet I want HBO to continue and show the ending, preferably as close to the one GRRM envisions as possible (and with GRRM continuing to write an episode each season, or even more than one once the show moves beyond the books, so his "voice" is still there). It means that the storylines of ASOIAF will get a conclusion within a few years (the show is expected to run probably for 8 seasons) and it will also stimulate discussion on book storylines, as we get new info from the show (and much discussion about how different or similar the corresponding book storylines will be).

I also don't see how the book can be "ruined" by the show ending first. I re-read books in spite of knowing the ending and having read them before. In this case, the book would no doubt show far more detail and include characters that don't even exist on the show, while parts of the ending may be different. It would still be exciting.

Given the way HBO works, and that they have bought the rights and thus can finish it the way they see fit, they will not halt production of the show to allow GRRM to catch up. He's been writing too slowly for that since ASOS was finished. From recent news, it doesn't seem that he is speeding up after the AFFC/ADWD problems. I guess that TWOW is an enormously complex book to write, with all those sprawling storylines. I also doubt 7 books will suffice, and Martin hasn't promised he will keep it at 7.

The show is based on the books, but not the books. Yes, if the show concludes the story before the actual author does I consider that ruined.

Sorry for my over confidence in your quoted piece. but now I'm more wondering how the hell you can not have an issue if the show gets the big reveals instead of the book.

Making ASOS (according to the Other Wiki, 992 pages long) into two seasons, but combining AFFC and ADWD (753 plus 1056 pages) into one, makes little sense to me. I expect Season 4 covering the second half of "Storm", AFFC and ADWD being made into two seasons - that's years 2014, 2015 and 2016. If George managed to finish Book 6 before 2017, that would postpone the problem for one year. Unlikely, but strictly speaking not out of the realm of physical possibility.

Of course there's no chance in Seven Hells the series won't overtake Book 7... unless it gets canceled. Which, again, is possible, if not likely. And it's quite feasible that by then some of the fans stop giving a fuck.

Making ASOS (according to the Other Wiki, 992 pages long) into two seasons, but combining AFFC and ADWD (753 plus 1056 pages) into one, makes little sense to me. I expect Season 4 covering the second half of "Storm", AFFC and ADWD being made into two seasons - that's years 2014, 2015 and 2016. If George managed to finish Book 6 before 2017, that would postpone the problem for one year. Unlikely, but strictly speaking not out of the realm of physical possibility.

Of course there's no chance in Seven Hells the series won't overtake Book 7... unless it gets canceled. Which, again, is possible, if not likely. And it's quite feasible that by then some of the fans stop giving a fuck.

I don't think he meant that AFFC and ADWD will be both in only one season. I think he was saying that from season 5 on, the show will contain elements from both books and they won't make seasons dedicated strictly to AFFC or ADWD. And I don't know why that wouldn't make sense since both books happen in the same time but different locations.

Well said!

GRRM has already spoken about this.

HBO isn't going to wait for anything, and they know the ending. They have the rights, to do what they want, GRRM has no say. If GRRM cannot get his books out fast enough, the show WILL spoil parts of the ending, or go off into it's own ending territory. It's unfortunate but anyone hoping that the show will wait on him, or go off into some side story filler, is deluding themselves. It's not going to happen. This show isn't going to run more than 7 or 8 seasons.

GRRM put himself into this mess, only he can get himself out.

GRRM has already spoken about this.

HBO isn't going to wait for anything, and they know the ending. They have the rights, to do what they want, GRRM has no say. If GRRM cannot get his books out fast enough, the show WILL spoil parts of the ending, or go off into it's own ending territory. It's unfortunate but anyone hoping that the show will wait on him, or go off into some side story filler, is deluding themselves. It's not going to happen. This show isn't going to run more than 7 or 8 seasons.

GRRM put himself into this mess, only he can get himself out.

I have to agree. This is really all GRRM's fault when it comes down to it. I know we all love this series so much and it pains me to say that, but it was his decision to sell the rights before the series was finished. It was his decision to spread his time amongst other things rather than finishing the series while the show caught up each year. The more I think about it, he should have either not sold the rights to HBO until he had almost finished the series, or he should have written faster. Either way, I'm afraid the show will end before the last book is released which will ultimately disappoint a large number of this fan base that has been dedicated for so long.

I love the books and I love the TV show, whichever comes out first, I will indulge myself into it.

Don't you watch and enjoy the show even if they are "spoilt"? Why can't the same logic be applied for the books, enjoy ithe even when they are spoilt.

And it's not a lame ass show, it's.one of the best series ever aired on telly!!!! No way I will be able to stop myself :D

I dont see HBO doing more then 8 seasons. 7 & is more likley. But if we take 8 seasons. 5-6 will be winds 7-8 will be dream. I imagine winds and dream will be crammed full of plot development and we wont have so much travel time like in feast and dance.

I'll be honest, I'd rather have the show overtake the books than have two poorly written titles that are missing all the depth in books 1 through 3. It's kind of like choosing between vomit and diarrhea: there both revolting, but vomit doesn't smell as bad.

I f that happens I'll just stop watching (what i allready temperorly did anyway).

This isn't really an option considering how easy it is for information to spread over the Internet, gossip, etc. One would have to live under a rock for years. I certainly couldn't run away from the viral spoilers that would happen.

Maybe they'll do a season or two of back story. Imagine full seasons covering RR and Blackfyre rebellion.

I believe D&D already ruled that out when originally making the deal with GRRM, not 100% sure though. And who exactly is going to cast all the characters required for RR and the Dance of the Dragons? It doesn't solve the aging problem, you know.

Once they reveal some of the secrets from Robert's Rebellion, especially the biggest one (if the theory is correct) taking a year off to shoot a 10 episode Robert's Rebellion series is not a terrible idea. There is a lot of amazing and interesting stuff there that would easily hold a TV audience. Plus the non book readers could get some of the more complicated things they may not understand flushed out. But, again, IF the biggest theory from that story is correct, they have to reveal it first in the show before doing that, because I doubt they want to use a prequel to first reveal that to the audience.

Major issue with this though, is I don't know if they have the rights to do it. Although I suspect HBO could work that out with GRRM if they don't. But the bigger problem is probably the aging factor. Taking a year off may help GRRM, but actors/actresses in GOT aren't going to get any younger because of it. For example, Wright will turn 15 this year. If you figure they would take the year off for RR after season 7 you'd have Bran being played by a 19 year old man in the final season.

Archived