February Reads! Winter Is Here!

Ghjhero

The heart of winter is upon us and what better to do than snuggle up by the fire with a good book or two! I just started Memories of Ice, I've heard its one of the best of the Malazan books so I'm excited! What does everyone else have on their plate?

I finished Moth and Spark by Anne Leonard yesterday. Good standalone fantasy for the most part, a bit more romance than my normal read but without angst --just young infatuation. Dragons, rebellion, and a man of destiny that isn't realy the choosen one for the typical reasons.

Starting Jon Sprunk's latest, Blood and Iron. I didn't read his first trilogy so this is new to me.

I'm on about page 450 of Gardens of the Moon, the first Malazan book. I'm enjoying it well enough. Some criticisms here and there for sure, but I do want to keep reading.

Heh - One thing that seems funny to me about the internet age and books and all that...I feel like I can't really discuss this series until I were to finish all ten books for the sake of spoilers.

I know what you mean. I was trying to read a review of Abercrombie's trilogy when some knucklehead spoiled the end of the series for me -_- I'd like to read the series eventually as I've heard a lot of good things about it, but it seems kind if pointless now since I know how it ends.

Ooh, this thread reminded me to change my calendar. Time is flying!

I'm about 150 pages away from finishing The Misbegotten by Katherine Webb, which has been exactly my cup of tea. I'm infatuated by the history and intrigue of England in the 19th century, and it's been even nicer to read one that isn't set in London. I'm hoping to finish my essay planning soon and spend the afternoon reading.

Sticking with the same kind of genre, up next it might be Life Mask by Emma Donoghue, or The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. I'm going on holiday for a few days the week after next, so I'll need a book for the journey there and back.

I started the book The Bloodletter's Daughter, it's a big book but have great reviews

I also plan on reading House Bathory it's about a historical Hungarian woman Elizabeth Bathory who was a serial killer and considered the worse in history but the book puts a vampire spin on it.

Starting Eastern Air Line: A History by David Lee Russell today. It's an LibraryThing Early Reviewer's book that arrived this past Monday and so immediately went on top of my TBR list.

Up next would be Revolutionary Russia, 1891-1991: A History by Orlando Figes, a Goodreads First Reads giveaway book that arrived yesterday.

I'm currently in the middle of Numbers in my year-long read of The Bible, so I'm ahead of schedule in that reading.

I'm 10% through The Complete Works of William Shakespeare and am ahead of schedule in that year-long project.

Emperors blades, mid way thru,decent read, reread of The red knight, great high fantasy and very looking forward to the second in the series, The fell sword. Rereread of asoiaf, and pumped for releases by Sanderson, Lawrence and Abercrombie in the near future.

Emperors blades, mid way thru,decent read, reread of The red knight, great high fantasy and very looking forward to the second in the series, The fell sword. Rereread of asoiaf, and pumped for releases by Sanderson, Lawrence and Abercrombie in the near future.

Also started a book by the guy behind HBO's true detective,Pizzolatto, book is called Galveston.

About 100 or so pages left on Mistborn: The Final Empire. Probably finish it up tonight or tomorrow. Then on to the second book, but I do want to reread Way of Kings before the new Stormlight comes out, plus I want to finish the expanse trilogy (have Abaddon's Gate left)... ugh.. not enough time to read!

Finished The Misbegotten - seemed to race through the last part, as so much was going on! If I ever needed another excuse to not go to Bath, this book has provided one :P Glad to see a happy-ish ending though.

Started The Book of Fires by Jane Borodale. It's not bad, but nothing's wowing me yet.

Finished "Les miserables" by Hugo in an abridged version. Did not know this was shortened until I was in the mid of the book, but then again reading that summaries on the internet I don´t seem to have missed much. The core plot was deeply enjoyable though,.

Also read the "Dark Phoenix Saga". This is advertised as one of the essential stories in the marvel universe. The story is more than 30 years old and it shows. Quite frankly the dialogue is pathetic and the drawings do not support the story. There are a shitload of flashback in the panels and everything is explained all the time. If the picture shows a specific character attack a villain, there sure is additional text "specific character attacks villain".

All in all a horrible experience.

Archived